OT: The greatest love song of all time | The Boneyard

OT: The greatest love song of all time

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm not including love songs that necessarily are personal to me, or move me in a particular way. I mean the one you think is the best crafted by verse, pace, meaning and melody. Now I know someone here will include Cohen's "Hallelujja". But in my mind, that song is about mood and inference with just a vestige of religion. Though I defy anyone to tell me this songs meaning.

I hereby nominate this song. A song which some singers occasionally sing and eliminate the opening 2 verses/recitation. Yet this song has remained, after all these years, a model of structure and melody, all dedicated to love. Thanks Hoagy, loves champion.

Reaction Score

couldn't find the official video. This one is...perfect.

I can't decide whether I actually think this is one of the greatest love songs ever, but we are going down a road. you will see.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think different songs, different aspects of love mean more as you age. In my case, at my age, this is what I thought of..

I thought I had banished that song from my mind for good. Thanks for nuttin'.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
For Mrs. SVC and me the greatest love song differed with different times of our life. When we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary we had a video (slide show) made with stills from our memorabilia and pictures. We had music playing for each set of "slides." The first phase focused on our dating while I attended SVC. At this time it was "My Girl" by the Temptations. A bad period ensued with my parents and I almost lost Mrs. SVC. She wrote me a goodbye letter (badbye letter?) and her sister took her to Miami for a vacation to forget me. With not much money I flew standby all night on three separate planes. I tracked her down and regained her (much to her sister displeasure). While not many people will hear this next song as the best love song for much of anything; it has meaning for us. Therefore we always stop, look at each other, and smile when we hear "The Letter" by the Box Tops. For our wedding and early married life together we selected "Cherish" by The Association. For the years leading up to our 40th anniversary we selected "Never My Love" by The Association. While one, all, or none of these songs may be the standalone best love songs, relative to our life together they are the best love songs. Which reminds me! We need another video since come November we will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. We have been blessed with each other’s love!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think I should have been clearer. Stardust is not my favorite love song of all time. Straight off I could list a lot songs that I favor over Stardust. I just think, all things considered, it is the greatest: The best crafted and conceptualized, the best realized lyric, the best melody, one of the longest lasting and most covered. But it's perfectly acceptable to list your personal favorites. And I'm really surprised no one has listed "Yesterday".

Reaction Score
I will second Jordy's choice of "Stardust" with which Hoagy Carmichael is always associated.
But let's not forget the superb lyric crafted by Mitchell Parish evoking the bittersweet memory
of lost love.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom