OT Red Sox caught cheating | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT Red Sox caught cheating

Reaction Score
You are seriously going to compare that to using an electronic device? Please tell us you're smarter than that.

And there it is, resorting to name-calling. A glaring lack of attention to detail does not make for an awesome lawyer. In two posts, including the one you quoted, I explicitly exempt the use of electronic devices from my contention that stealing signs should be "part of the game". And my intelligence is impugned? OK I guess. Again, as non-Red Sox, non-Yankees fan I think this is much ado about not much. Yankee fans will blow it out of proportion. Red Sox fans will completely dismiss it. Both are wrong.

Reaction Score
And there it is, resorting to name-calling. A glaring lack of attention to detail does not make for an awesome lawyer. In two posts, including the one you quoted, I explicitly exempt the use of electronic devices from my contention that stealing signs should be "part of the game". And my intelligence is impugned? OK I guess. Again, as non-Red Sox, non-Yankees fan I think this is much ado about not much. Yankee fans will blow it out of proportion. Red Sox fans will completely dismiss it. Both are wrong.

I agree with you although I think you need to distinguish "blowing it out of proportion" vs just having as much fun as possible with it. I mean both fans are bias beyond belief, me included but I promise I am laughing through this one and why, because as you say Red Sox fans will dismiss it or blame it on the Yankees. All in the fun of the rivalry.

Reaction Score
I agree with you although I think you need to distinguish "blowing it out of proportion" vs just having as much fun as possible with it. I mean both fans are bias beyond belief, me included but I promise I am laughing through this one and why, because as you say Red Sox fans will dismiss it or blame it on the Yankees. All in the fun of the rivalry.

Fair enough. Its difficult to tell sometimes how seriously folks are taking themselves on here. Heck, I'm still trying determine to what degree Chief (and/or Fishy) believes everything he writes. I do agree that if nothing else it is adding a little spice to the stretch run in the AL East.

Reaction Score
I think this is a really bad look and blatant disregard of rules by the Red Sox. As a Red Sox fan I'm embarrassed and hope the team gets penalized. Can you explain this as justified to a child? I think no, they cheated, should be penalized and should apologize and take steps (only bright side is if this brings Farrell down, nice enough guy but boring and mediocre manager) to make sure it doesn't happen again. The other guys cheated too or it wasn't that bad, this and that happened before rivalry stuff is all rationalization.

The Sox fans shouldn't defend their behavior. I suspect most Sox fans like me are embarrassed, only the extreme are arguing or attacking. I'm sorry they did this, this type of behavior that has no place in sports and isn't sportsmanship. I want no part of owning or defending this, its a bad mistake.

Reaction Score
I think this is a really bad look and blatant disregard of rules by the Red Sox. As a Red Sox fan I'm embarrassed and hope the team gets penalized. Can you explain this as justified to a child? I think no, they cheated, should be penalized and should apologize and take steps (only bright side is if this brings Farrell down, nice enough guy but boring and mediocre manager) to make sure it doesn't happen again. The other guys cheated too or it wasn't that bad, this and that happened before rivalry stuff is all rationalization.

The Sox fans shouldn't defend their behavior. I suspect most Sox fans like me are embarrassed, only the extreme are arguing or attacking. I'm sorry they did this, this type of behavior that has no place in sports and isn't sportsmanship. I want no part of owning or defending this, its a bad mistake.

I'm with you, and beyond that I wonder why bother with it? From the report they were using a runner on second base to relay signs to batters, meaning that they had to decipher the signals in the first place. Signals that can be easily changed. Seems to be high-risk, low-reward beyond its general douchiness . . .

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Its difficult to tell sometimes how seriously folks are taking themselves on here. Heck, I'm still trying determine to what degree Chief (and/or Fishy) believes everything he writes. I do agree that if nothing else it is adding a little spice to the stretch run in the AL East.

Hey I get it, not asking for MLB to take Wins away or anything just like to hear someone (Dogdeacon) admit it's ridiculous and is the definition of cheating then we move on. I mean like I said in another post if you can see what's going on between catcher/pitcher with your eyes then good for you, open for the team to use that ability. Heck that's why they try to change signs over the years catcher throws 3-4 different signs down this inning is the 2nd one I give etc etc.. People have been doing that for years heck we started trying to do that in legion baseball, also the 3rd base coach for steal bunt and so on. But electronics, nope not good!

Reaction Score
I'm with you, and beyond that I wonder why bother with it? From the report they were using a runner on second base to relay signs to batters, meaning that they had to decipher the signals in the first place. Signals that can be easily changed. Seems to be high-risk, low-reward beyond its general douchiness . . .

Question is if not Farrell who's the mastermind?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Anyone have a link to the actual MLB rule?

Reaction Score
Anyone have a link to the actual MLB rule?

There isn't one on sign stealing. Not sure how the prohibitions on electronic equipment are written, but the following memo was sent to all teams at the start of the season:

“The use of electronic equipment during a game is restricted. No Club shall use electronic equipment, including but not limited to walkie-talkies, cellular telephones, laptop computers or tablets, to communicate to or with any on-field personnel, including those in the dugout, bullpen, field and, during the game, the clubhouse. No equipment may be used for the purpose of stealing signs or conveying information designed to give a Club an advantage. Laptop computers and hand held devices are not permitted on the bench or in the dugout.

“The only exceptions to this prohibition are the use of a mobile phone for communication between the dugout and the bullpen, and the use of tablets in the dugout or bullpen running uniform programs, so long as such devices and programs have been approved by the Office of the Commissioner.”

Reaction Score
There isn't one on sign stealing. Not sure how the prohibitions on electronic equipment are written, but the following memo was sent to all teams at the start of the season:

“The use of electronic equipment during a game is restricted. No Club shall use electronic equipment, including but not limited to walkie-talkies, cellular telephones, laptop computers or tablets, to communicate to or with any on-field personnel, including those in the dugout, bullpen, field and, during the game, the clubhouse. No equipment may be used for the purpose of stealing signs or conveying information designed to give a Club an advantage. Laptop computers and hand held devices are not permitted on the bench or in the dugout.

“The only exceptions to this prohibition are the use of a mobile phone for communication between the dugout and the bullpen, and the use of tablets in the dugout or bullpen running uniform programs, so long as such devices and programs have been approved by the Office of the Commissioner.”
So the stupid coach wearing the Apple watch should be suspended for rest of season, Farrell a few games, not sure on the players involved but if they are caught red-handed either a fine or suspension and the organization should pay a hefty fine.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The replies are entertaining as expected. It's the Yanks fault for losing in 2004, ARod for slapping the ball out of the glove, Mariano for the blown save - I mean why else would the Red Sox cheat if not for those reasons alone? Oh wait and it's Sanchez's fault for sucker punching Cabrera and getting his suspension reduced like every other player in professional ball. Oh and let's add Torre to the list after all he's an ex-Yankee manager .

Just beautiful stuff and precious. Can't make it up!:rolleyes:

You're finally getting it!

Reaction Score
Cheating and lying followed by lame excuses are becoming the norm. How do we know the Red Sox did not employ this against every team?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kinda.

One side accused the other side and baseball said, "Yup. They did it."

And then the other side just threw something against the wall this morning in hopes it would stick.
Or alternatively, one side came clean and the other lied about it. Time will tell which is which.

Sign stealing in baseball?

I+am+Shocked+Shocked.JPG

Reaction Score
Or alternatively, one side came clean and the other lied about it. Time will tell which is which.

Sign stealing in baseball?

I+am+Shocked+Shocked.JPG
No but nice try.

Reaction Score
Even that is bush league.

I'm not the biggest baseball purist with the "unwritten rules" stuff, but really stealing signs is a bush league move.

Not disagreeing. But it isn't illegal was my point and it is expected.

Using outside equipment is a new low.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If the Red Sox played in a real stadium, Bucky Dent homer would have been a pop-up. The Wall giveth and the Wall Taketh
How many end of the bat, off balance swings result in home runs at new Yankee Stadium? 3-4 a game?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So they were getting pitch signals texted into the dugout then what? Telling dudes on the bench? How can you even relay the info quickly enough to reach the batter? What's the point?

Reaction Score
The Yankees complained to the MLB offices on Friday that Sox and Fister were using an illegal listening device during his start. Turns out it was his mouth guard. Can't make this stuff up.

fister-earpiece-1-090617.jpg

Reaction Score
Scrolling through the national media, the overwhelming reaction to this appears to be a collective shrug of the shoulders.

Don't think for a second that the Yankees' timing in bringing this to light isn't also deliberate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom