OT Red Sox caught cheating | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Red Sox caught cheating

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter, they ADMITTED they did it.
What did they admit? Did they admit relaying signals to the dugout (which is against the rules) or on to the batter. My guess it was actually the former, particularly since the Commissioner responded to it in a cavalier manner. There's not enough time to get the signal to the batter and it would have been obvious. There would still be value, however, if they used the info (second signal after the wiggle) to enable a runner on second to steal signs. Of course you can do the same thing in the clubhouse, which the Times article implied was a standard practice.

Reaction Score
What did they admit? Did they admit relaying signals to the dugout (which is against the rules) or on to the batter. My guess it was actually the former, particularly since the Commissioner responded to it in a cavalier manner. There's not enough time to get the signal to the batter and it would have been obvious. There would still be value, however, if they used the info (second signal after the wiggle) to enable a runner on second to steal signs. Of course you can do the same thing in the clubhouse, which the Times article implied was a standard practice.

After MLB corroborated the claims with its own video, the commissioner's office confronted the Red Sox, who admitted that video replay personnel were getting signs and that those were relayed to some players, The Times reported. The scheme had been ongoing for some weeks.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Typical douches. I'm not a Yankee fan by the way and could really care less. But the franchise whose hall of fame pitcher tossed an old man on the ground and whose football neighbor cheats every chance they get using video surveillance to cheat should not be a big shock really.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Typical douches. I'm not a Yankee fan by the way and could really care less. But the franchise whose hall of fame pitcher tossed an old man on the ground and whose football neighbor cheats every chance they get using video surveillance to cheat should not be a big shock really.

Huh? That was one of the great baseball scenes of all time. Shame.

Reaction Score
After MLB corroborated the claims with its own video, the commissioner's office confronted the Red Sox, who admitted that video replay personnel were getting signs and that those were relayed to some players, The Times reported. The scheme had been ongoing for some weeks.
Nothing you cited conflicts with what I said. The article clearly stated that the trainer told players in the dugout. It said nothing about signaling to the batter from the dugout. Most likely they stole the signals (detecting the pattern) and those runners used that to steal specific pitches when they were on base. You can do the same thing from any location with a TV shot of the catcher. The difference, and the only thing illegal about it according to the Commissioner, was the use of an Apple Watch to exchange the info.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Plus it was self defense. Zimmer was coming with hands to the face. I love how he bounces off the ground like a big bumble weeble when petey discards him like yesterday's trash

Reaction Score
cmon, that's not we should be treating our elders. I understand Zim was being an aggressor but a "world class athlete" could really have just sidestepped that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
cmon, that's not we should be treating our elders. I understand Zim was being an aggressor but a "world class athlete" could really have just sidestepped that.

Pedro's a stringbean. Zim shoulda been on his toes. Kept his center of gravity down. Pedro couldn't of moved. Bad technique by Zim. Can't reward bad technique. Can't do it.

Plus, calling some baseball players 'world class athletes' can be a stretch.

Reaction Score

Yankees fan....Pedro was beyond classy in the way he handled Zimm. He could have hurt him and he would have been justified. Zimm was charging at him with the intent of asking for a recommendation for a good steak house. He gently grabbed him and basically used Zimm's momentum to roll him to the ground. Not much more he could have done.

That said, the Sux cheating is as surprising as the sun shinning on a hot summer day. In Boston, cheating is mandatory.

Reaction Score
Plus it was self defense. Zimmer was coming with hands to the face. I love how he bounces off the ground like a big bumble weeble when petey discards him like yesterday's trash

Reaction Score
Nothing you cited conflicts with what I said. The article clearly stated that the trainer told players in the dugout. It said nothing about signaling to the batter from the dugout. Most likely they stole the signals (detecting the pattern) and those runners used that to steal specific pitches when they were on base. You can do the same thing from any location with a TV shot of the catcher. The difference, and the only thing illegal about it according to the Commissioner, was the use of an Apple Watch to exchange the info.

Stealing signs is legal, using electronic devices to do it is not. They got caught and admitted they did it. I don't know what you are trying to prove.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
A guy on second stealing signs = part of the game.

Having your training staff use Apple watches to steal signs= Very Bostonian

You can't use electronic devices to steal signs.

Even that is bush league.

I'm not the biggest baseball purist with the "unwritten rules" stuff, but really stealing signs is a bush league move.

Reaction Score
Yankees fan....Pedro was beyond classy in the way he handled Zimm. He could have hurt him and he would have been justified. Zimm was charging at him with the intent of asking for a recommendation for a good steak house. He gently grabbed him and basically used Zimm's momentum to roll him to the ground. Not much more he could have done.

That said, the Sux cheating is as surprising as the sun shinning on a hot summer day. In Boston, cheating is mandatory.
I'm not a Yankees fan. Never have been. I have been a Dodgers fan since I was little. My dad used to root for them in Brooklyn as a kid and we moved west to Cali when I was young and I followed them in LA. I do root for the Mets because I live in CT and they are on TV and it would be nice if they didn't suck so I could watch some decent NL baseball on TV. However, I am a Dodgers fan. I actually can't stand the Yankees. He could have done more, he could have just side stepped him.

Reaction Score
Stealing signs is legal, using electronic devices to do it is not. They got caught and admitted they did it. I don't know what you are trying to prove.
Actually that's not true. As The NY Times noted, many teams have TVs in the clubhouse to try and decipher signs. That's not illegal. What they aren't allowed is electronic communications devices in the dugout (presumably excluding the bullpen and replay phones), so they have to use sneakernet (clubhouse boys) to get the results. So far it hasn't been reported that the Red Sox admitted to anything beyond using an Apple Watch instead of manual data transfer.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The "other people are doing it too." Is a terribly weak argument for anyone above the age of 5. There are a lot of people doing a lot of things...does that mean everyone should? .

A marquee team devised a scheme to use technology to cheat. It was so blatant the organization admitted it without defense. Why try to rationalize it? Weak ass mentality.

To your point, I don't know who is doing it. I know who got caught. They had the stones to admit it once caught. What's your excuse?

1. Never said other people doing it - never said the Bosox were doing it - I said if some were doing it probably all were doing it
2. I wasn't rationalizing anything
3 Whats my excuse? WTH are you talking about

Reaction Score
Actually that's not true. As The NY Times noted, many teams have TVs in the clubhouse to try and decipher signs. That's not illegal. What they aren't allowed is electronic communications devices in the dugout (presumably excluding the bullpen and replay phones), so they have to use sneakernet (clubhouse boys) to get the results. So far it hasn't been reported that the Red Sox admitted to anything beyond using an Apple Watch instead of manual data transfer.

In recent years, as cameras have proliferated in major league ballparks, teams have begun using the abundance of video to help them discern opponents’ signs, including the catcher’s signals to the pitcher. Some clubs have had clubhouse attendants quickly relay information to the dugout from the personnel monitoring video feeds.

The Red Sox admitted to league investigators that they were able to significantly shorten this communications chain by using electronics. In what mimicked the rhythm of a double play, the information would rapidly go from video personnel to a trainer to the players.

So they were using electronics, which is not legal. Are you dense?

Reaction Score
Cheating? Or just playing 'patty cake?'

But Doc, the Laser Show did it once too I hope you remember but that one was ok right??? Lol

No matter it's not cheating in the same form as the Sox did but you can all keep trying it's entertaining :eek:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
But Doc, the Laser Show did it once too I hope you remember but that one was ok right??? Lol

No matter it's not cheating in the same form as the Sox did but you can all keep trying it's entertaining :eek:
Perhaps. But the ARod slap was just so ... noticeably wimpy, it stands out. Even the NY Daily News has it as one of ARod's worst moments, number one being getting banned for 162 games for PED use.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom