OT - Rashad McCants says he took fake classes, tutors wrote his papers | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT - Rashad McCants says he took fake classes, tutors wrote his papers

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There's blame and hypocrisy to go all around. What the NCAA and colleges have done has been discussed at length. Unlike what other people like to portray McCants as this naive individual who fell victim to this isn't fully correct either. He had choices and if his education mattered to him that much he would have been pro-active then. Roy Williams wasn't the only one who knew 100% what was going on.

No doubt UNC should get hit hard with penalties. McCants though is far from a victim. He knew what was needed and got what he wanted. NBA- that was the goal. I wouldn't go as far as saying he did not want an education, I just don't think it was a priority.

All very well and good, but in this particular situation, it's highly irrelevant. What McCants purpose/goals/dreams were doesn't matter. All that matters is what went down. And who did/knew what and when. Victim or not, McCants went through on a sham. The University must pay the piper.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hopefully Donny took it out on the host in a couple different ways :oops:……..Donny was too nice still though! Hate to say Roddick is correct in his analysis because McCants is a piece of crap for doing this no matter but nonetheless HE IS, UNC needs to go down!

(Donny is also into the multicolored sox fashion craze obviously too…..yikes!)

Can't kill a guy for being up on the latest. I wish Donny was less nice too, but the man does need to keep his job. His real feelings would probably peel paint.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Can't say this loud enough: McCants is irrelevant. Either you believe there needs to be rules to keep this stuff in check or you give the NCs to the sleaziest program around. (Congratulations Coach Cal!).

I'm sorry Donny focused on the ingrate and not the fraud that made him a Dean's List student.

Reaction Score
Can't say this loud enough: McCants is irrelevant. Either you believe there needs to be rules to keep this stuff in check or you give the NCs to the sleaziest program around. (Congratulations Coach Cal!).

I'm sorry Donny focused on the ingrate and not the fraud that made him a Dean's List student.
If McCants took his education seriously, then UNC would not have had to cheat to cover it up...can't say that loud enuff

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If McCants took his education seriously, then UNC would not have had to cheat to cover it up...can't say that loud enuff

If Williams and the rest of the people in the Athletic Department, you know...the adults, took their JOBS seriously, UNC wouldn't have had to cover anything up. Can't say that loud 'enuff'.

Reaction Score

What? Are you taking UNC off the hook because McCants didn't care about his education?

Reaction Score
If Williams and the rest of the people in the Athletic Department, you know...the adults, took their JOBS seriously, UNC wouldn't have had to cover anything up. Can't say that loud 'enuff'.
well if your point is Roy should not recruit kids, that suck at algebra.. i see your point. other than that, i don't see whats wrong with holding someone accountable for not holding up their end of the whole student athlete processes, especially when said person is claiming victimization of a system that tried to help get him an education, and win some basketball games. Essentially McCants is saying, yea because i did not take my education seriously, UNC had to cheat to cover it up.. stop treating this kid like a hero.

Reaction Score
There's blame and hypocrisy to go all around. What the NCAA and colleges have done has been discussed at length. Unlike what other people like to portray McCants as this naive individual who fell victim to this isn't fully correct either. He had choices and if his education mattered to him that much he would have been pro-active then. Roy Williams wasn't the only one who knew 100% what was going on.

No doubt UNC should get hit hard with penalties. McCants though is far from a victim. He knew what was needed and got what he wanted. NBA- that was the goal. I wouldn't go as far as saying he did not want an education, I just don't think it was a priority.

Who cares about McCants? This is like attacking an ant for revealing problems inside the anthill. It's what the media always does. When confronted with a huge story, they turn it on its head and created a distraction. Same thing happened with the U. Miami case, they made it about the scummy booster. What a scummy guy. Yes, we know.

Reaction Score
well if your point is Roy should not recruit kids, that suck at algebra.. i see your point. other than that, i don't see whats wrong with holding someone accountable for not holding up their end of the whole student athlete processes, especially when said person is claiming victimization of a system that tried to help get him an education, and win some basketball games. Essentially McCants is saying, yea because i did not take my education seriously, UNC had to cheat to cover it up.. stop treating this kid like a hero.

You got it wrong. They didn't "try" to help him get an education.

Reaction Score

Actually stop treating the man McCants like the "kid" McCants who decided to take the easy way out for his education since it was offered up to him that way!!! The fact there are many athletes over the course of years and years who would jump at that opportunity since most actually believe they're there only to get to the next level and get paid anyway……..don't blame him blame society and media for beginning to make these kids stars when they're 14-15 years old……..blame UNC for allowing it to a young man willing to take the easy way. I applaud you for knowing you would have held yourself accountable and said no if given the same, I on the other hand was a 17 year old entering and may have jumped all over it if I was as good as McCants. Different world than you I am sure DOZE, and me too!

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Dude, UNC offered FAKE classes, and ushered student athletes to them. That's 98% on the University and 2% on the student 'athletes'. Let's not kid ourselves, many of these kids will take the easiest road they can get academically. It's up to the University to appropriately challenge them. UNC decided instead to enable (exploit) them, in order to get what it wanted.

Look, I get it, the kid is to blame as well, but most of this goes on the University for enabling, no, encouraging this behavior.

Reaction Score
What? Are you taking UNC off the hook because McCants didn't care about his education?
nope, i hope UNC banned for what they did. i just think its kinda stupid for people to say McCants was taken advantage of, when he won chip, went to the NBA, and over seas to play basketball, and now come out and say he was the victim of anything.. 9 years after the fact, and yea, has book coming out soon about his tragic time at UNC..

Reaction Score

You do realize they didn't have to have fake classes and write papers for him right? They could have just flunked him out of school. As much as people hate Cuse here didn't they ban Fab Melo from the tournament when they were a #1 seed?

Reaction Score
nope, i hope UNC banned for what they did. i just think its kinda stupid for people to say McCants was taken advantage of, when he won chip, went to the NBA, and over seas to play basketball, and now come out and say he was the victim of anything.. 9 years after the fact, and yea, has book coming out soon about his tragic time at UNC..

Okay I agree with you there, just the way you wrote it seemed like you were saying it was okay for UNC to cheat.

Reaction Score
Actually stop treating the man McCants like the "kid" McCants who decided to take the easy way out for his education since it was offered up to him that way!!! The fact there are many athletes over the course of years and years who would jump at that opportunity since most actually believe they're there only to get to the next level and get paid anyway……..don't blame him blame society and media for beginning to make these kids stars when they're 14-15 years old……..blame UNC for allowing it to a young man willing to take the easy way. I applaud you for knowing you would have held yourself accountable and said no if given the same, I on the other hand was a 17 year old entering and may have jumped all over it if I was as good as McCants. Different world than you I am sure DOZE, and me too!

heck, if i had the same opportunity McCants did, who knows, maybe i would have done the same thing... all i do know is i would not have came out 9 years later and slammed the people who tried to put me in a position to succeed...especially if they did something shady to get me in that position.

Reaction Score
So the school recruits kids to come play basketball, and when those kids succeed, the school and administrators and coaches make a lot of money. In return, the athlete is supposed to get an education. Instead, the school cooks up fake classes with no requirements and pushes the kids into them to keep them eligible to play, because that makes them money. And you think it's "kinda stupid" to say he was exploited?

I love that you bring up the team winning a championship like that means he got what he came for. The championship was his contribution. It was won by him and the other players, not by the coach or the AD or anyone else who actually profited off of it.

Reaction Score
heck, if i had the same opportunity McCants did, who knows, maybe i would have done the same thing... all i do know is i would not have came out 9 years later and slammed the people who tried to put me in a position to succeed...especially if they did something shady to get me in that position.

I agree and he is wrong for that but if UNC is doing this it needs to end. He's not the first to come out as football players have I believe……….no one is making him a hero but UNC seems to have been getting away with a holier than thou image for way too long and since he said something - GOOD! Let's see if they send some more UNC grads form the NCAA investigative committee to check these rumors out!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
. all i do know is i would not have came out 9 years later and slammed the people who tried to put me in a position to succeed...especially if they did something shady to get me in that position.

Maybe not, but I'm glad he did.

Reaction Score

They put him in position to succeed for them, not for him. Now his basketball career is likely over, and he has a worthless education to fall back on. That is not "in position to succeed."

Reaction Score
They put him in position to succeed for them, not for him. Now his basketball career is likely over, and he has a worthless education to fall back on. That is not "in position to succeed."
did you read the story? when McCants could not pass algebra and psychology, they put him in fake classes that he was supposed to pass... I went to UConn and i saw how different athletes approached their class work.. if someone is serious about getting a degree, you will get priority on the classes you want to take. You will get the classes that you want, and you get tutors. its not like they force you to take BS classes. If you are there to play sports and thats it, then take all the BS classes you want. McCants wanted to play ball and that's it. He went league, did not work out...he went over seas, didnt work out... his play at UNC got him to those places, so ...if he did not take his actual school work seriously, then who's to blame?? If the culture at UNC is steer the players to BS classes, as opposed to real classes... like i said, ban the out of them. But lets not act like he does not have a choice.

Reaction Score
So the school recruits kids to come play basketball, and when those kids succeed, the school and administrators and coaches make a lot of money. In return, the athlete is supposed to get an education. Instead, the school cooks up fake classes with no requirements and pushes the kids into them to keep them eligible to play, because that makes them money. And you think it's "kinda stupid" to say he was exploited?

I love that you bring up the team winning a championship like that means he got what he came for. The championship was his contribution. It was won by him and the other players, not by the coach or the AD or anyone else who actually profited off of it.
so are you saying he did not improve his draft stock by winning the chip? i know your not that naive

Reaction Score
Okay I agree with you there, just the way you wrote it seemed like you were saying it was okay for UNC to cheat.
If you look at the first thing I posted on this thread, i was asking the question of, what was McCants beef? it was not that UNC should be cleared of any wrong doing.. but rather what ax does McCants have to grind with UNC, considering he did make it to the league, and won a chip.. i did not know much of his back story

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If you look at the first thing I posted on this thread, i was asking the question of, what was McCants beef? it was not that UNC should be cleared of any wrong doing.. but rather what ax does McCants have to grind with UNC, considering he did make it to the league, and won a chip.. i did not know much of his back story
You think it's unreasonable that a young man could look back at his college experience and feel he was cheated out of an education by an institution that created fake classes and phony grades to keep him moving through the machine. I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom