OT - Rashad McCants says he took fake classes, tutors wrote his papers | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT - Rashad McCants says he took fake classes, tutors wrote his papers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
so are you saying he did not improve his draft stock by winning the chip? i know your not that naive

He probably did, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. The national championship helped Roy Williams and UNC a lot more than it helped Rashad McCants, and other than how it influences recruiting, McCants draft position means less than nothing to Williams and UNC. Since he was out of the NBA in four years, I don't think it helped him as much as you think.

Reaction Score
You think it's unreasonable that a young man could look back at his college experience and feel he was cheated out of an education by an institution that created fake classes and phony grades to keep him moving through the machine. I don't.
Really?? i mean, i have beefs with my college counselors not steering to the right courses, but, come on.. and its not like he can't go back.. I am sure he made enough money playing ball in NBA and over seas to afford to take credits to finish his degree.. google his salary when he was with the Timberwolves..

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Really?? i mean, i have beefs with my college counselors not steering to the right courses, but, come on.. and its not like he can't go back.. I am sure he made enough money playing ball in NBA and over seas to afford to take credits to finish his degree.. google his salary when he was with the Timberwolves..
We can agree to disagree but, again, McCants motivation isn't really the point. The point is that UNC cheated and should be pummeled with sanctions. I'm sure McCants has what he feels are legitimate reasons to complain and I'm not clear why people are demonizing him. After reading your earlier posts it seems your reasoning is you "don't like snitches". In my opinion that's not a very well thought out position on the issue.

Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree but, again, McCants motivation isn't really the point. The point is that UNC cheated and should be pummeled with sanctions. I'm sure McCants has what he feels are legitimate reasons to complain and I'm not clear why people are demonizing him. After reading your earlier posts it seems your reasoning is you "don't like snitches". In my opinion that's not a very well thought out position on the issue.
Bruce, if you read my earlier post, you would see that i totally agree that UNC should be slammed for cheating...my point was why did he decide to come out about it,since he became a millionare because of it...personally i think McCants is a punk, and I am going to leave it at that.. so don't try to sell me that he is some victim of some injustice.. he made about 5 million dollars in 4 years...playing basketball, which he went to UNC for...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Bruce, if you read my earlier post, you would see that i totally agree that UNC should be slammed for cheating...my point was why did he decide to come out about it,since he became a millionare because of it...personally i think McCants is a punk, and I am going to leave it at that.. so don't try to sell me that he is some victim of some injustice.. he made about 5 million dollars in 4 years...playing basketball, which he went to UNC for...
Bruce?

Reaction Score
You think it's unreasonable that a young man could look back at his college experience and feel he was cheated out of an education by an institution that created fake classes and phony grades to keep him moving through the machine. I don't.

I guess he could feel cheated. The university did provide the "temptation" of those fake classes and tutors. In the end though the biggest reason why he got cheated out of an education was himself. He did not have to take those AFAM courses.

Reaction Score
Roy Williams is out today with a denial on everything but I don't believe him. These big time schools have had gaff courses like African American Studies cited here that are well known for automatic A's so the idea that Williams knew nothing about these courses juicing his player's GPAs is pretty funny. He's going the Sargeant Schultz route here "I know nothing". Years ago a basketball player was in my English class at U Memphis. He came the first day of class and then never again because he was travelling with the team but he passed the course. It's common stuff.

Reaction Score

I think you are missing the forest for the trees here, is McCants a dumb headcase? Yeah probably but that is not the issue...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I guess he could feel cheated. The university did provide the "temptation" of those fake classes and tutors. In the end though the biggest reason why he got cheated out of an education was himself. He did not have to take those AFAM courses.
From personal experience, I can assure you that many athletes are STRONGLY encouraged by counselors to take certain classes to remain eligible. I attended a JC in northern CA that was an absolute football factory for the Pac-10 and our counselors were very forceful about what we should and shouldn't take. Had my family not been educators (and my mother not been employed at the same JC) I could have easily had a schedule full of half assed classes. For someone like McCants who probably didn't have a strong educational background or a bunch of family members guiding him in the right direction I think the pressure of counselors would have been hard to combat.

Heck, even though my JC provided an easy path for athletes to stay eligible they had nothing on UNC. They not only provided a path of easy classes they provided a path of no classes at all. That is really impressive.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Well, he kinda did since he failed out of school beforehand.

Reaction Score
Perspective? It's old news that McCants is a head case. That's not really the issue at hand.
when you got everybody on here saying that we should listen to a head case, and wonder why NCAA is not investing, it kinda make you think..

Reaction Score
when you got everybody on here saying that we should listen to a head case, and wonder why NCAA is not investing, it kinda make you think..

dude, it happened less than a week ago. The NCAA works at a snails pace....unless its about UCONN

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Let me try to tease this apart, as there are many here who cannot understand the issues we are really trying to discuss.

Overarching issue:

Several on this thread and most in the media keep trying to make this more about McCants and less about UNC.

The evidence is that UNC is a sham of an institution. They fundamentally turned their African American Studies Department into a conduit for athletes to take sham courses (the academic equivalent of a "no-show" job in state government), so they could offset 's they earned in actual courses, and retain eligibility

In the estimation of most of the folks on this thread, this overarching issue is a damnation of UNC and the NCAA.

Issue 2:

In the case at hand, a former athlete (a known headcase) has come out and slammed the institution for this practice. He cites his own college experience as evidence, and he says that the practice was both widespread in the athletic department and well known by those at the very top of the food chain. His transcript bears out much of what he claims.

In my estimation, this is quite damning and it has the ring of truth.

Issue 3:

Rashad McCants was an active and willing participant in this charade.

This gets into a separate issue, somewhat analogous to an alcoholic who has a bunch of people lecturing him about how he needs to quit drinking, all the while buying him drinks, so as to hold his attention during their lectures about sober behavior. Sure, he needs to quit drinking, and no one can make him stop if he doesn't stop on his own. And at the same time he is surrounded by enablers, who are contributing to his problem

At that level, there are no good guys, only bad guys. The kid (and he was a kid at the time) needed to take advantage of the opportunity he was given and come away from UNC with a valuable degree. At the same time, every time he ran up against a "logical consequence" for his poor choices, the University presented him with an off ramp without consequences.

So, yeah, he maybe should have done better for himself, but he did receive an education. UNC taught him that those consequences were never really consequences.....

In the end, this travesty rests squarely on UNC and they need to suffer some serious consequences, starting at the very top.

This doesn't actually fit a definition of "lack of institutional control" (in as much as the institution was very much in control of this process). It does, however, fit the precise definition of academic fraud. And as much as anyone might wish to see Roy Williams get hung for this (and he should), I somehow feel that there is a University President (or two), and possibly some Department Chairs, who need to be hung, first.

As for the NCAA's claims about these courses being available for other students, not just athletes....I feel I need to see some evidence that there was ever, in the history of that institution, a non-athlete who went from flunking out to deans list in one semester. Until they can djinn up that evidence....the NCAA's kabuki theater nonsense doesn't wash. And, thus, Emert and others at the NCAA need to hang, too.

As for McCants....he is, now, living the consequences of his actions.....

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This gets into a separate issue, somewhat analogous to an alcoholic who has a bunch of people lecturing him about how he needs to quit drinking, all the while buying him drinks, so as to hold his attention during their lectures about sober behavior. Sure, he needs to quit drinking, and no one can make him stop if he doesn't stop on his own. And at the same time he is surrounded by enablers, who are contributing to his problem

This was good.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Instead of unc coming out and admitting they had a problem that they are correcting they are attacking the character of the people coming out against them. While the evidence is so one sided against them. They don't have a leg to stand on they should be self imposing penalties emmert has to act or else he loses all credibility. So far he has taken strong stances against academic issues. What is taking so long? Is there an active ncaa investigation? What am I missing?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If this had occurred in a vacuum that perspective might have merit. However, when you combine it with the persistent examples of fraudulent behavior flowing from Chapel Hill over the last few years can you really take that position with a straight face?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If you look at the first thing I posted on this thread, i was asking the question of, what was McCants beef? it was not that UNC should be cleared of any wrong doing.. but rather what ax does McCants have to grind with UNC, considering he did make it to the league, and won a chip.. i did not know much of his back story

All I know is that you jumped on my post mocking my words because I said McCants is irrelevant. If you think irrelevant means victim or hero, you are confused. A major university had a system set up so players could blatantly get great grades w/o studying. That is the only story here. McCants' lack of character and blown opportunity do not matter.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
All I know is that you jumped on my post mocking my words because I said McCants is irrelevant. If you think irrelevant means victim or hero, you are confused. A major university had a system set up so players could blatantly get great grades w/o studying. That is the only story here. McCants' lack of character and blown opportunity do not matter.

If this were 1990, and if this were UNLV, you can be certain that no one would be questioning the motives of the player who came forward....

Instead they would be placing a crown of laurels on his head and the story would be how much strength of character the young man had to have come forward like that.....

Reaction Score
well again, my original post was posing the question, what was his beef with the university..since he became a millionaire after leaving college.. it was kinda a rhetorical question, but since everyone jump in trying to say he was some type of victim.. i just don't see it that way. and i still believe UNC should be banned..

Reaction Score
From personal experience, I can assure you that many athletes are STRONGLY encouraged by counselors to take certain classes to remain eligible. I attended a JC in northern CA that was an absolute football factory for the Pac-10 and our counselors were very forceful about what we should and shouldn't take. Had my family not been educators (and my mother not been employed at the same JC) I could have easily had a schedule full of half assed classes. For someone like McCants who probably didn't have a strong educational background or a bunch of family members guiding him in the right direction I think the pressure of counselors would have been hard to combat.

Heck, even though my JC provided an easy path for athletes to stay eligible they had nothing on UNC. They not only provided a path of easy classes they provided a path of no classes at all. That is really impressive.

Everyone's experience is different. McCants case in particular, my contention is he wasn't pressured into anything. He knew the game (eligibility), it suited his ultimate goal (NBA), so it was really a no brainer. His education wasn't his main priority. For him to try to feel he was cheated out of it seemed suspect to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom