OT - Rashad McCants says he took fake classes, tutors wrote his papers | The Boneyard

OT - Rashad McCants says he took fake classes, tutors wrote his papers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the article:

McCants said he was headed toward ineligibility during the championship season because he had failed algebra and psychology, which accounted for half of his credits, in the fall of 2004. He had two A's in AFAM [African-American Studies program] classes in addition to 's. He said coach Roy Williams informed him of his academic troubles during a meeting ahead of the spring semester.

He said Williams told him "we're going to be able to change a class from, you know, your summer session class and swap it out with the class that you failed, just so the GPA could reflect that you are in good standing."

McCants also told "Outside the Lines" that he even made the Dean's List in Spring 2005 despite not attending any of his four classes for which he received straight-A grades.

Reaction Score
The powers that be in North Carolina made a major misstep when they decided to prosecute the director of African-American studies for fraud.

That guy was paid to do what he did. I expect that revelation to come out unless they drop the charges.

Reaction Score
Whats not being said is during that time, UNC scored a perfect APR. What a complete joke of a system. If this happened at UConn, we would surely get the death penalty.

Reaction Score
I cannot believe the NCAA is not even investigating this, what a sham

Reaction Score
I heard the NCAA was giving them more banners to hang up . Most behind the scenes academic shenanigans also the SMU lifetime achievement award for not giving a what the NCAA rules are...

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
I cannot believe the NCAA is not even investigating this, what a sham

Actually the NCAA did investigate. The investigator was a UNC alum. Conclusion was that the class was open to al students, even though 75% of enrollees were student athletes, therefore it was a University issue and not an NCAA issue. Thus no NCAA pebnalties.

Certainly the whole APR thing is a joke and gaming the system insures coaches $$$ and player eligibility.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
F Mark Emmert. Of course UNC will not face any penalties from the NCAA for this. Also shows how silly the APR metric is that UNC scored high during this time.

Reaction Score
We lost scholarships because of a kid who never played 1 minute for us. We were banned because of academic performance from kids who earned bad grades. How is N C's national title not in jeopardy? And what is Roy Wliiams penalty for knowing?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We lost scholarships because of a kid who never played 1 minute for us. We were banned because of academic performance from kids who earned bad grades. How is N C's national title not in jeopardy? And what is Roy Wliiams penalty for knowing?
They will receive no punishment over this. Institutionally or personally (Roy). NC has some power over the NCAA that deflects all possible negatives. It sounds paranoid, but I believe if this was UConn we would get the death penalty, while UNC (whose name is now mud at least) skates away clean.
Laughable that they were one of the main proponents in favor of the APR implementation. Of course they were when all their players are taking a bogus major and guaranteed straight A's. They had perfect APR scores while all this was going on. The Carolina way!

Reaction Score
They will receive no punishment over this. Institutionally or personally (Roy). NC has some power over the NCAA that deflects all possible negatives. It sounds paranoid, but I believe if this was UConn we would get the death penalty, while UNC (whose name is now mud at least) skates away clean.
Laughable that they were one of the main proponents in favor of the APR implementation. Of course they were when all their players are taking a bogus major and guaranteed straight A's. They had perfect APR scores while all this was going on. The Carolina way!

More fodder for a lawsuit.

Reaction Score
amazing, I'm speachless, really, that unc has a scandal this HUGE with all of these facts comimg out and the ncaa still has not acted.

who needs area 51? just hide you stuff at unc, no one will care to look or admit what they find. I'm sure bigfoot and aliens wander about the campus

Reaction Score
McCants is known to be certifiable. Hard to believe what he says.

I hope its all true though

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
McCants is known to be certifiable. Hard to believe what he says.

I hope its all true though
This is what all UNC fans are pinning their hopes on. But considering it lines up with everything else that comes out he comes across as believable.

Reaction Score
My memory is probably faulty here, but didn't the NCAA look into this twice? The first investigation found no evidence of violations and the second one was the 'Yes, there were fake classes, but anyone could take them so it's okay" investigation.

I'm waiting for someone in the media to ask how an organization that monitors how much pasta football players can eat saw no problems at UNC.

Reaction Score
What i don't get is that Rashad could have went to class and get the education he was supposed to, but didn't.. they change up his grades to keep him eligible, they win a chip, he gets to play in the league and now, i am assuming he is broke, cause now he is writing a book, and now wants to play the victim... whats his beef?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
What i don't get is that Rashad could have went to class and get the education he was supposed to, but didn't.. they change up his grades to keep him eligible, they win a chip, he gets to play in the league and now, i am assuming he is broke, cause now he is writing a book, and now wants to play the victim... whats his beef?
What's his beef? Maybe that his school and his coaches and everyone who made money off his exploits at UNC have been lying through their teeth for 10 years. Let college coaches go on and on about the importance of an education, and how players shouldn't be paid because, hey, they're getting a free education, right? It's complete crap, this is only the most blatant example.
But sure, blame him for not getting the education he was supposed to. I'm sure Roy would've been fine with him taking experimental physics.

Reaction Score
What's his beef? Maybe that his school and his coaches and everyone who made money off his exploits at UNC have been lying through their teeth for 10 years. Let college coaches go on and on about the importance of an education, and how players shouldn't be paid because, hey, they're getting a free education, right? It's complete crap, this is only the most blatant example.
But sure, blame him for not getting the education he was supposed to. I'm sure Roy would've been fine with him taking experimental physics.

UNC & Roy are obviously FOS and the NCAA needs to do something instead of continuing to let them skate by on this, but lets not portray Rashad McCants as some type of freedom fighter now. If you felt that this was wrong then speak up back then when it happened, not know when your career is over and the spotlight is gone. Doesn't say alot for him that I am seeing former players/current coaches/media members who know of Rashad and what type of dude he is ragging on him on twitter for this sucker move that he's pulling now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom