OT - Rashad McCants says he took fake classes, tutors wrote his papers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Rashad McCants says he took fake classes, tutors wrote his papers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What will end up happening to UNC umm nothing, watch Unc and the NCAA dance their way around this.

Reaction Score
UNC & Roy are obviously FOS and the NCAA needs to do something instead of continuing to let them skate by on this, but lets not portray Rashad McCants as some type of freedom fighter now. If you felt that this was wrong then speak up back then when it happened, not know when your career is over and the spotlight is gone. Doesn't say alot for him that I am seeing former players/current coaches/media members who know of Rashad and what type of dude he is ragging on him on twitter for this sucker move that he's pulling now.

But is it true though?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
UNC & Roy are obviously FOS and the NCAA needs to do something instead of continuing to let them skate by on this, but lets not portray Rashad McCants as some type of freedom fighter now. If you felt that this was wrong then speak up back then when it happened, not know when your career is over and the spotlight is gone. Doesn't say alot for him that I am seeing former players/current coaches/media members who know of Rashad and what type of dude he is ragging on him on twitter for this sucker move that he's pulling now.
Yeah I don't see it that way. I don't care about McCants or his motivation. If he can blow the lid off this with transcripts and other proof then more power to him. He's just the messenger, but one who was intimately involved. Whether he's broke or an attention seeker or whatever, who cares.

Reaction Score
But is it true though?

probably, but I never understood guys benefitting from improper benefits and then years later coming out and squealing to get back at their former school. either don't accept them or tell the proper channels when it occurs. Lets stop pretending McCants or any of these guys(like the Auburn players in that Real Sports expose a year or so ago) are doing this for what's right and what's just, its for attention and/or possibly money for their story.

Reaction Score
Loving the UConn faithful in the comments on that ESPN story, one guy brings out how UConn apparently isn't in good standing and is still on watch and throngs of UConn fans succinctly bring out the facts so he can come see them, and not a dime back!

Reaction Score
probably, but I never understood guys benefitting from improper benefits and then years later coming out and squealing to get back at their former school. either don't accept them or tell the proper channels when it occurs. Lets stop pretending McCants or any of these guys(like the Auburn players in that Real Sports expose a year or so ago) are doing this for what's right and what's just, its for attention and/or possibly money for their story.

Maybe it is for attention/money, but karma will come back to bite you in the ass one way or another. The worse part of the UNC fraud is the cover up more then the crime, karma will catch up with them. Once a player leaves they have free speech to say whatever they want whether you wanna call it a scum bag move or not.

Reaction Score
The powers that be in North Carolina made a major misstep when they decided to prosecute the director of African-American studies for fraud.

That guy was paid to do what he did. I expect that revelation to come out unless they drop the charges.
Yeah I mean if I ran a fraudulent academic program for the university and get arrested and charged once the truth comes out, you best believe I'm dragging everyone and everything down with me, if only so that my eventual sentence might be reduced. His professional life is over either way.

Reaction Score
There are two ways to snitch (on your partners in crime). One way is to alert the people that you will be snitching, especially with so much elapsed time. A worse way is to just do it and fukk all who get/are in the path.

I don't know his motives for confession, but he benefited from this activity, so at least I would respect it if he gave 'his' school (partners) a heads up.

Reaction Score
What's his beef? Maybe that his school and his coaches and everyone who made money off his exploits at UNC have been lying through their teeth for 10 years. Let college coaches go on and on about the importance of an education, and how players shouldn't be paid because, hey, they're getting a free education, right? It's complete crap, this is only the most blatant example.
But sure, blame him for not getting the education he was supposed to. I'm sure Roy would've been fine with him taking experimental physics.
Didn't McCants have an issue about being paid by agent while in school?

But now he wants to get on his high horse and talk about ethics?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

Again, who cares? It's not about him. If he has proof of this stuff about paper classes and everything else that tutor has been talking about for years, that's the issue. I couldn't care less about Rashad McCants. He's just the messenger. Making it about him is exactly what UNC would love, I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Actually the NCAA did investigate. The investigator was a UNC alum. Conclusion was that the class was open to al students, even though 75% of enrollees were student athletes, therefore it was a University issue and not an NCAA issue. Thus no NCAA pebnalties.

Certainly the whole APR thing is a joke and gaming the system insures coaches $ and player eligibility.
Not only is he an alum, but he is a former Carolina football player...

Reaction Score
Mccants motives for coming out are irrelevant. What is relevant is that he is saying the same thing and worse than what others have already said about a crooked program. Unfortunately for the NCAA North Carolina is one of their big moneymakers. Something has to give on this one way or the other soon. Meaning either that Carolina gets in big trouble, or the NCAA gets called out for doing nothing. Reminds me of the 2022 Fifa Qatar scandal going on right now.

Reaction Score
Who said he cares about ethics?
Then why is he doing this? What is point?

It is either completely self serving for 15 min of fame or he wants to clear his conscious and thinks its the ethical and correct thing to do.

caw

Reaction Score
Then why is he doing this? What is point?

It is either completely self serving for 15 min of fame or he wants to clear his conscious and thinks its the ethical and correct thing to do.

9 years since left school. That's a long time to become a different person. I doubt you are the same person at 32 you were at 22, assuming you are 32+

Priorities change, ethics change, world POVs change, influencers change.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
lol who fails algebra in college??? I mean I realize these guys aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer but I took that in 8th grade

Almost every star player at Kentucky?

Reaction Score
My memory is probably faulty here, but didn't the NCAA look into this twice? The first investigation found no evidence of violations and the second one was the 'Yes, there were fake classes, but anyone could take them so it's okay" investigation.

I'm waiting for someone in the media to ask how an organization that monitors how much pasta football players can eat saw no problems at UNC.
Mike Lupica made this exact same point regarding the NCAA and their nickel and dime penalties and is just waiting to see how NCAA handles this NC violation. Perhaps we can expect Lupica column or mention on this in NY daily News or ESPN sports reporters. You can bet the rats @ NCAA and NC are scurrying around ....luv it

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I love that so many people are turning this into a debate about whether there should be honor among thieves. What difference does it make whether McCants was culpable or has less than pure motives in bringing this to light, so long as his accusations are true?

I don't remember UNC fans or anyone outside of Connecticut questioning the motives of Dan Wetzel or Nochimson or, later, Emmert, when our program was being dragged through the mud. And there actually IS a story/conspiracy here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Mike Lupica made this exact same point regarding the NCAA and their nickel and dime penalties and is just waiting to see how NCAA handles this NC violation. Perhaps we can expect Lupica column or mention on this in NY daily News or ESPN sports reporters. You can bet the rats @ NCAA and NC are scurrying around ....luv it

A lupica column or mention? That's it? There should be 50,000 stories and journalistic investigations going on right now. Where is Wojo and Wetzel now? Crickets.

Reaction Score
During my decades of practicing law, when necessary because the message was factually accurate and damaging, the messenger was (legally) shot. I expect that the same will happen here - it's a very effective defense especially in the public domain.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't see it that way. I don't care about McCants or his motivation. If he can blow the lid off this with transcripts and other proof then more power to him. He's just the messenger, but one who was intimately involved. Whether he's broke or an attention seeker or whatever, who cares.
like i said, what is his beef...did he feel like he was cheated out of royalties for his jersey sales and likeness on NCAA basketball video games? he had a chance to actually take the classes... As much as i would like to blast UNC for this, i would have to say to blame the university for not getting an education, when they gave you the opportunity too, and then cover up for the fact that you didnt... he just seems like a punk. sorry don't like snitches, especially when they are just as dirty as the people they are snitching on..

Reaction Score
9 years since left school. That's a long time to become a different person. I doubt you are the same person at 32 you were at 22, assuming you are 32+

Priorities change, ethics change, world POVs change, influencers change.
Sadly, I am +32, and I completely agree about being a different person.

I just hope what he is saying is true, that's all.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
like i said, what is his beef...did he feel like he was cheated out of royalties for his jersey sales and likeness on NCAA basketball video games? he had a chance to actually take the classes... As much as i would like to blast UNC for this, i would have to say to blame the university for not getting an education, when they gave you the opportunity too, and then cover up for the fact that you didnt... he just seems like a punk. sorry don't like snitches, especially when they are just as dirty as the people they are snitching on..
You're right, this is about snitches. How stupid of me.

Reaction Score
Wow... go to the MCB page on ESPN and one of the headlines is "Academic Fraud at UNC?"

The question mark just makes me want to slap the taste out of someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin