OT: Providence | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Providence

Reaction Score
I guess it's mainly the result of like two posters who spend a lot of time here, but it's still remarkable how much attention is spent on a UConn board about a sort-of rival that rarely wins much of anything.

Maybe I'm an outlier here but that's what makes regional rivalries fun. It doesn't matter if both teams are ranked in the Top 5 or Final Four hopefuls or whatever. The whole proverbial "throw out the record books with this one" sort of thing.

Reaction Score
RIF exactly. He said “coach”, which the visiting player isn’t going to do.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm beyond sick and tired of PC fans whining about this. They lost a coach, that happens. They aren't the first school that this happened to and the won't be the last.

I remember when Michigan, with a team capable of making a very deep run in the tournament, discovered days before the tournament began that their head coach was negotiating with another school (to the point where an agreement had been reached and an announcement would be made once Michigan's season was over) to become their head coach. Did they whine? No! They fired the culprit before the tournament began and went on to win the whole thing.

So he had an illicit affair. If this offense is that egregious they should have fired him for it, not whine about it happening and then cry about the role that played in his departure. I remember when Arkansas fired their head football coach once an illicit affair that he was involved in was discovered.

He misled them about his looking to leave. I remember when Cincinnati's head football coach, shortly before a bowl game in what was then their best season ever responded "It's silly season. Don't listen to the noise" when asked if he was interviewing with Notre Dame.

Hell, even schools at the top of the food chain aren't immune to things like this. Michigan just lost their head football coach to the NFL. When Miami was a cut above everyone else in college football they lost their head coach to the NFL three different times (Johnson, Ericson and Davis) and fourth (Schnellenberger) that thought he had an NFL job waiting for him.

Did they apologize to Fairfield for taking Cooley? To GM for taking English? Hell, every head coach comes from somewhere and it's normally at another school's expense.

They need to get over it.
Pretty thorough post, enough for me to doubt that your omitting that this was the first intra-conference coaching switch in the Big East's 40+ year history was mere oversight.

To close with what "they need to" do? How is that your call to make?

Besides, it needn't be an either/or situation anyway. Why not think poorly of Cooley & wish him a period of stinging consequences for unseemly behavior AND think that Providence fans' reactions reflect poorly on them & confirm their place in the pecking order?

Cooley did what he felt was right for him and PC fans are doing what they feel is right for them. Things will sort themselves out. In the meantime, let the good times roll.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That was at the point where many people thought Calhoun couldn’t get over the top. There was talk of trying to replace him with Tom Penders a few years earlier. That had mostly died down by 1998, as had Penders’ career. But I imagine many people would have said “Good. Now we can bring in the guy to take the final step.” By the way, at that time a Final Four was the big step, not a National Championship. He had also been much more successful than Cooley FWIW.
Hey, look at you, third post has some charm...and a measure of validity. I keep wondering when you're going to get poached and move up to a more fitting conference and deserving fanbase. On the meantime, I count my blessings that you're here.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He said Family Forever… maybe saying that Providence will always be his family no matter what?

Do Providence fans really think Cooley hates Providence and intentionally wants to burn bridges? Has he done anything to do that outside of you all trying to twist his public comments to be shots?

Reaction Score
I'm beyond sick and tired of PC fans whining about this. They lost a coach, that happens. They aren't the first school that this happened to and the won't be the last.

I remember when Michigan, with a team capable of making a very deep run in the tournament, discovered days before the tournament began that their head coach was negotiating with another school (to the point where an agreement had been reached and an announcement would be made once Michigan's season was over) to become their head coach. Did they whine? No! They fired the culprit before the tournament began and went on to win the whole thing.

So he had an illicit affair. If this offense is that egregious they should have fired him for it, not whine about it happening and then cry about the role that played in his departure. I remember when Arkansas fired their head football coach once an illicit affair that he was involved in was discovered.

He misled them about his looking to leave. I remember when Cincinnati's head football coach, shortly before a bowl game in what was then their best season ever responded "It's silly season. Don't listen to the noise" when asked if he was interviewing with Notre Dame.

Hell, even schools at the top of the food chain aren't immune to things like this. Michigan just lost their head football coach to the NFL. When Miami was a cut above everyone else in college football they lost their head coach to the NFL three different times (Johnson, Ericson and Davis) and fourth (Schnellenberger) that thought he had an NFL job waiting for him.

Did they apologize to Fairfield for taking Cooley? To GM for taking English? Hell, every head coach comes from somewhere and it's normally at another school's expense.

They need to get over it.

Taking it too serious ma man...

Hatred and anger makes for good and exciting entertainment. I wouldn't watch the game tomorrow if it wasn't just to find out how the Providence crowd reacts to Cooley. See? it's fun!

Don't kill the vibes!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yes, Georgetown has a significant amount of potential for many reasons. Anyone who can’t see that has to take off their NE blinders.

Are they bad now? Of course after a decade of losing. But Cooley will have a lot more juice building that back into a Sweet 16 program than he did doing it for Providence for all the reasons you stated.

The basketball program you’re referring to is ‘Basketball County: In The Water’

Thx for the link re PG County. I'll look to stream it.

I appreciate what you wrote about DC's market distinction from Providence for Cooley, and his historical connection to John Thompson gives it some background. That said, my preference today would be for him to fail if it reveals that he's not all that good, or succeed if he is that good...but not before he takes some knocks for being smarmy in pursuing his ambition.

@UConnSwag11 's post that joked about Kim English landing at Georgetown if he succeeds at Providence made me chuckle. There's now established precedent.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Ed was overrated. Look at his record.

He was good enough for PC, and now Georgetown

If Sweet 16 is his ceiling, he's overrated

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geez, maybe he actually thinks we are decent fans of hoop and he is looking for some of that and he doesn’t get it on the PC message boards. I for one find him to be a good poster. He has admitted he wishes they had what we have.
Or maybe he's desperately looking for validation after having his team's longstanding coach dump them for one of the worst two teams in the conference?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Hatred and anger makes for good and exciting entertainment. I wouldn't watch the game tomorrow if it wasn't just to find out how the Providence crowd reacts to Cooley. See? it's fun!

Don't kill the vibes!
I'm not sure I'm the one taking things too seriously.

I will simplify things a bit:

1 - Has there been a past occurrence of a coach departing a school that has led to a reaction somewhat similar to how PC fans have reacted (and continue to react) to this one?

2 - What was so uniquely and excessively over the line (when compared to all other coaching departures) about this one case that warrants the fan base's reaction?

Reaction Score
What I was referring to was the dominance they had early to mid 1980's the aura that surrounded the program at that time and the allure it had for (then it was Dunbar) top HS recruits.

Yes, they had success outside of that period but they never recaptured the image.
You mean the era when they won One championship, right?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I think this is the point. You guys are hanging banners for sweet 16s and official visits.

Reaction Score
You mean the era when they won One championship, right?
3 national title game appearances including that one championship. That's a good era of dominance in a 4-year span.

1 championship is a great accomplishment. A Final Four is a great accomplishment. There are so many schools and coaches that have tried so hard in vain to even accomplish those goals.

Last edited:

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm an outlier here but that's what makes regional rivalries fun. It doesn't matter if both teams are ranked in the Top 5 or Final Four hopefuls or whatever. The whole proverbial "throw out the record books with this one" sort of thing.
I guess, but this is page after page about purely Providence internal drama. It's not about us facing them, just about why they're sad

Reaction Score
I guess, but this is page after page about purely Providence internal drama. It's not about us facing them, just about why they're sad

Well, for whatever reason, we have a very vocal Providence fan who feels compelled to respond to every PC-related post that most of us probably just ignore.

Reaction Score
I guess it's mainly the result of like two posters who spend a lot of time here, but it's still remarkable how much attention is spent on a UConn board about a sort-of rival that rarely wins much of anything.
And people jump down your throat if you talk about next years roster but 100 posts about providence nonsense is fine

Reaction Score

Don't kill the vibes!
100%. Rightly or wrongly this is very true. It certainly makes for good copy which is why I am going to the game tomorrow and will record Seton Hall at Marquette.

An educational message to everyone: high rated sports content, entertainment content, and other content in general are akin to when men and women meet with a chance for sparks and being much more than just friends. Love can drive the interest and hatred can lead to high interest in both cases. The death knell that is bad for both is indifference. It's why I like these sports rivalries, even more if they are regional. Think about when UConn played against the likes of Tulsa and UCF in the AAC. Did those games produce any fan passion or emotion? Did the thought of defeating them make you feel great and the thought of losing to them irritate you like a pebble in your shoe when walking? Not one bit. It's why I didn't mind at all when Kalkbrenner stoked the fire last year with his comments about UConn and Sanogo. It made it that much better when Sanogo destroyed his ass.

Yes, I know that was clumsy way to make my point, but you get the picture.:D

Reaction Score
3 national title game appearances including that one championship. That's a good era of dominance in a 4-year span.

1 championship is a great accomplishment. A Final Four is a great accomplishment. There are so many schools and coaches that have tried so hard in vain to even accomplish those goals.
Edit: There are so many schools and coaches that have tried so hard in vain to even accomplish even getting to 1 Final Four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom