OT: Providence | The Boneyard

OT: Providence

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm beyond sick and tired of PC fans whining about this. They lost a coach, that happens. They aren't the first school that this happened to and the won't be the last.

I remember when Michigan, with a team capable of making a very deep run in the tournament, discovered days before the tournament began that their head coach was negotiating with another school (to the point where an agreement had been reached and an announcement would be made once Michigan's season was over) to become their head coach. Did they whine? No! They fired the culprit before the tournament began and went on to win the whole thing.

So he had an illicit affair. If this offense is that egregious they should have fired him for it, not whine about it happening and then cry about the role that played in his departure. I remember when Arkansas fired their head football coach once an illicit affair that he was involved in was discovered.

He misled them about his looking to leave. I remember when Cincinnati's head football coach, shortly before a bowl game in what was then their best season ever responded "It's silly season. Don't listen to the noise" when asked if he was interviewing with Notre Dame.

Hell, even schools at the top of the food chain aren't immune to things like this. Michigan just lost their head football coach to the NFL. When Miami was a cut above everyone else in college football they lost their head coach to the NFL three different times (Johnson, Ericson and Davis) and fourth (Schnellenberger) that thought he had an NFL job waiting for him.

Did they apologize to Fairfield for taking Cooley? To GM for taking English? Hell, every head coach comes from somewhere and it's normally at another school's expense.

They need to get over it.

Reaction Score
Providence must have done something awful to Ed Cooley to make him act this way. Some day it may come out what happened?

Reaction Score
It's pretty reasonable for Providence fans to be upset, at least through this first matchup. They haven't had their catharsis yet.

1) Ed was a good coach for them. And his rhetoric was all about family and being a Providence local guy. The motto he made up for the team that the fans would chant was: "Us, We, Together, Family, Friars."
2) Then he quit on the team in a fairly promising year mid-season. They were 21-8 and then lost 4 straight to end the season, a few in embarrassing high margin fashion (we were up 21 one minute into the 2nd half on them in a rivalry postseason game). There are real estate documents that indicate he knew he was leaving by the start of that losing streak.
3) His next job was not only a conference rival of Providence, but someone they'll have to play twice a year going forward. He signed up to beat his cherished Providence twice a year.
4) In his intro press conference at Georgetown, he called his arrival there "Divine Providence." Talk about ouch.

Most Providence fans think there were personal reasons that he left, but for reasons given he talks about needing change and how great Georgetown is (implying Providence is not those same great things despite him saying it was great for decades).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's pretty reasonable for Providence fans to be upset, at least through this first matchup. They haven't had their catharsis yet.

1) Ed was a good coach for them. And his rhetoric was all about family and being a Providence local guy. The motto he made up for the team that the fans would chant was: "Us, We, Together, Family, Friars."
2) Then he quit on the team in a fairly promising year mid-season. They were 21-8 and then lost 4 straight to end the season, a few in embarrassing high margin fashion (we were up 21 one minute into the 2nd half on them in a rivalry postseason game). There are real estate documents that indicate he knew he was leaving by the start of that losing streak.
3) His next job was not only a conference rival of Providence, but someone they'll have to play twice a year going forward. He signed up to beat his cherished Providence twice a year.
4) In his intro press conference at Georgetown, he called his arrival there "Divine Providence." Talk about ouch.

Most Providence fans think there were personal reasons that he left, but for reasons given he talks about needing change and how great Georgetown is (implying Providence is not those same great things despite him saying it was great for decades).
In my post I pointed out a few (of many) cases where other schools had the same thing happen to them yet for reasons beyond anything logical that I can come up with their fan base is behaving as if they've been aggrieved in a manner and at a level that has never been seen before.

Part of what I find most humorous about this is about a half dozen years ago he made some comment (I don't remember exactly what it was) that landed on this board. I posted something along the lines of it being normal coach BS and a couple PC fans jumped all over my comment, claimed I didn't know him, that he was more sincere and dedicated to PC than I could ever imagine, etc.. etc.

They should be more angry at themselves for buying into his BS than at him for, well, being him.

Reaction Score
Their problem is they think they’re us and don’t realize they have and always will be a stepping stone program. Come in, clean up the mess and get a better job elsewhere.

No one worth their salt wants to coach Providence.
I think every program is a stepping stone until it isn't.
In 1986, after having been a low level program for all of time, UConn hired the guy to make it "not a stepping stone". I think that can be done anywhere. It does take good fortune, and buy in, and timing, etc... but it can happen.

Should they be this upset ? Nope. Cooley had a long time, and was a middle of the road coach at a good power program. Gtown will find this out soon enough.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
English will prove to be an upgrade IMO & if he is he will move on to bigger things unless he sees the possibility of building something lasting like JC did here.

Reaction Score
Talk about a hostile environment! Anyone gonna wear Gtown gear?

Reaction Score
I'm beyond sick and tired of PC fans whining about this. They lost a coach, that happens. They aren't the first school that this happened to and the won't be the last.

I remember when Michigan, with a team capable of making a very deep run in the tournament, discovered days before the tournament began that their head coach was negotiating with another school (to the point where an agreement had been reached and an announcement would be made once Michigan's season was over) to become their head coach. Did they whine? No! They fired the culprit before the tournament began and went on to win the whole thing.

So he had an illicit affair. If this offense is that egregious they should have fired him for it, not whine about it happening and then cry about the role that played in his departure. I remember when Arkansas fired their head football coach once an illicit affair that he was involved in was discovered.

He misled them about his looking to leave. I remember when Cincinnati's head football coach, shortly before a bowl game in what was then their best season ever responded "It's silly season. Don't listen to the noise" when asked if he was interviewing with Notre Dame.

Hell, even schools at the top of the food chain aren't immune to things like this. Michigan just lost their head football coach to the NFL. When Miami was a cut above everyone else in college football they lost their head coach to the NFL three different times (Johnson, Ericson and Davis) and fourth (Schnellenberger) that thought he had an NFL job waiting for him.

Did they apologize to Fairfield for taking Cooley? To GM for taking English? Hell, every head coach comes from somewhere and it's normally at another school's expense.

They need to get over it.
You need to get over it.

Reaction Score
I think every program is a stepping stone until it isn't.
In 1986, after having been a low level program for all of time, UConn hired the guy to make it "not a stepping stone". I think that can be done anywhere. It does take good fortune, and buy in, and timing, etc... but it can happen.

Should they be this upset ? Nope. Cooley had a long time, and was a middle of the road coach at a good power program. Gtown will find this out soon enough.
I think Cooley can rebuild a program and he is a good in-game strategist. Having said that, I am not hating on him getting paid but the $6 mill/year, if that is the correct figure, and being one of the highest paid coaches is over the top.

Reaction Score
gtown is still probably the 4th most recognizable brand in the conference, even after a decade of depaul-esque results, so a good gtown is great for the BE. cant say the same about PC, sorry.

Reaction Score
In my post I pointed out a few (of many) cases where other schools had the same thing happen to them yet for reasons beyond anything logical that I can come up with their fan base is behaving as if they've been aggrieved in a manner and at a level that has never been seen before.

Part of what I find most humorous about this is about a half dozen years ago he made some comment (I don't remember exactly what it was) that landed on this board. I posted something along the lines of it being normal coach BS and a couple PC fans jumped all over my comment, claimed I didn't know him, that he was more sincere and dedicated to PC than I could ever imagine, etc.. etc.

They should be more angry at themselves for buying into his BS than at him for, well, being him.
Yeah I get what you are saying but I think auror nailed it in his post as well as Dana O'Neill nailing it in her article. No offense to the Providence people that post here like Friar J and PC Hoops, they are good people, but Providence does have that inferiority complex and edge. They are a good Big East program and rooted in Big East history, but nationally outside of Big East community no one thinks about Providence-they don't have a big national brand. PC fans thought they were on the way to that, whether true or not. Again, I don't mean this as a dig or trash talk.

Sure, the PC fans shouldn't have been so naive to buy the coach speak BS in his introductory press conference in 2010, but they did. They thought he would be the guy to remain their forever and kill the notion that the PC coaching job is only to be stepping stone. Cooley sold them a bill of goods with ease.

What bothers the PC fans the most is not even that he left, but he left for Georgetown, a downtrodden program, for what many PC fans believe is due to his infidelity. Following that he publicly stated that he did it because Georgetown is superior program with more upside at the big boy table, while reinforcing the notion that PC is at the little kids table and coaching there is a stepping stone job. Cooley is very smart and an excellent public speaker and very aware public perception and how PC is seen as a stepping stone job.

Reaction Score
Their problem is they think they’re us and don’t realize they have and always will be a stepping stone program. Come in, clean up the mess and get a better job elsewhere.

No one worth their salt wants to coach Providence.
Kim English looks like a good hire. He is young and will make some mistakes, but he could turn out to be really good.

Reaction Score
It’s not gonna happen but it would be absolutely hilarious if Georgetown went in there and won.
It's crossed my mind just because historically this seems like the type of weird game Cooley teams somehow win, and I was wondering if some of the PC players would start to press if the game was close late. Georgetown really sucks though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom