OT: Providence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Providence

Reaction Score
It’s not gonna happen but it would be absolutely hilarious if Georgetown went in there and won.
It all depends on how the Georgetown players handle the environment and block out the noise. They got obliterated by Butler. A lot of times teams that get blown out play the next game with an extra edge and like a starving pit bull.

Reaction Score
Yeah I get what you are saying but I think auror nailed it in his post as well as Dana O'Neill nailing it in her article. No offense to the Providence people that post here like Friar J and PC Hoops, they are good people, but Providence does have that inferiority complex and edge. They are a good Big East program and rooted in Big East history, but nationally outside of Big East community no one thinks about Providence-they don't have a big national brand. PC fans thought they were on the way to that, whether true or not. Again, I don't mean this as a dig or trash talk.

Sure, the PC fans shouldn't have been so naive to buy the coach speak BS in his introductory press conference in 2010, but they did. They thought he would be the guy to remain their forever and kill the notion that the PC coaching job is only to be stepping stone. Cooley sold them a bill of goods with ease.

What bothers the PC fans the most is not even that he left, but he left for Georgetown, a downtrodden program, for what many PC fans believe is due to his infidelity. Following that he publicly stated that he did it because Georgetown is superior program with more upside at the big boy table, while reinforcing the notion that PC is at the little kids table and coaching there is a stepping stone job. Cooley is very smart and an excellent public speaker and very aware public perception and how PC is seen as a stepping stone job.
The man is from Providence. He should give a crap about building his hometown university's program instead of belittling it on his way out the door and saying publicly that Georgetown, which hasn't been consistently good since the days of Mutombo and Iverson, is a superior job. That's a betrayal when PC has been trying to build something, and has actually gotten good. Plus, his recycled schtick at his hiring announcement made him seem really fake.

If Randy Edsall had been from, say, New Haven, New Britain or Bristol, I bet lots of UConn football fans would despise him for leaving for Maryland in 2011. I know I would have been way more annoyed, instead of being disappointed but taking it in stride. The expectations would be different. (Cue Bruce Springsteen's "My Hometown.") I know it's good for the Big East if G'town gets good again, because they do have historical brand recognition, but it's going to be hard to root for Cooley to be the guy who makes it happen.

Reaction Score
Talk about a hostile environment! Anyone gonna wear Gtown gear?
I will be there at the game tomorrow. I won't be wearing UConn gear like I did when when I went to Providence last year for the UConn-Providence game. The reason for that is not because of public safety or anything like that, but because tomorrow's game isn't about UConn at all.

Reaction Score
The man is from Providence. He should give a crap about building his hometown university's program instead of belittling it on his way out the door and saying publicly that Georgetown, which hasn't been consistently good since the days of Mutombo and Iverson, is a superior job. That's a betrayal when PC has been trying to build something, and has actually gotten good. Plus, his recycled schtick at his hiring announcement made him seem really fake.

If Randy Edsall had been from, say, New Haven, New Britain or Bristol, I bet lots of UConn football fans would despise him for leaving for Maryland in 2011. I know I would have been way more annoyed, instead of being disappointed but taking it in stride. The expectations would be different. (Cue Bruce Springsteen's "My Hometown.") I know it's good for the Big East if G'town gets good again, because they do have historical brand recognition, but it's going to be hard to root for Cooley to be the guy who makes it happen.
This is what I was saying in my post except I wasn't offering my personal feelings on the matter but rather wrote in more objective or neutral language. I was responding to FldCityFan's post about why the PC fans feel betrayed.

Edited a few minutes later:

The part about him being fake is what drives PC fans nuts even more. Cooley is very calculating and know how he is perceived and how PC is perceived. He used his reputation and public perception as a likeable TV Dad for deceitful purposes. Him saying "Divine Providence" is not an "oops that slipped from my tongue moment". Him saying that was part of his plan in preparing for that speech.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait, you guys are looking at a high school kid to coach you guys? I thought you liked English?

CL82

Reaction Score
If Randy Edsall had been from, say, New Haven, New Britain or Bristol, I bet lots of UConn football fans would despise him for leaving for Maryland in 2011.
Oh, plenty of people despise Randy both for leaving, and for coming back. But the thing is we don't go on other peoples boards to talk about it.

For what it's worth I am completely supportive of PC hating Cooley, he earned that. Likewise, I think the big East films ploy was brilliant. Beyond that, it just doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I am curious to hear how PC fans treat him. Maybe get a nice "adulterer" chant going. Hey, if you're going to hate the guy you might as well go all in.

Reaction Score
Shame he left PC the way he did but he had a family decision. One-stay, continue supporting Providence. But his personal life would be a living hell. Two-leave his town, but at least with his family. He took the latter.

Feels like betrayal to PC basketball and fans, but at least not further betrayal to his family. I think any fan put in his position would understand.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Shame he left PC the way he did but he had a family decision. One-stay, continue supporting Providence. But his personal life would be a living hell. Two-leave his town, but at least with his family. He took the latter.

Feels like betrayal to PC basketball and fans, but at least not further betrayal to his family. I think any fan put in his position would understand.
He didn't need to be a complete horse's ass about it. Show some regret, some humility. Instead he basically said "good riddance, that place sucks". No class at all.

Reaction Score
Kim English looks like a good hire. He is young and will make some mistakes, but he could turn out to be really good.
No doubt. A couple rebuild years. A surprisingly good year and maybe a bid in year 3 or 4 so he can cash in and get a position at a real school.

Reaction Score
Their problem is they think they’re us and don’t realize they have and always will be a stepping stone program. Come in, clean up the mess and get a better job elsewhere.

No one worth their salt wants to coach Providence.
This is a big part of it. In the 1950-70s Providence was a national player. The only real one in New England. They won an NIT when the NIT was the more important tournament, played major schools, not only local ones. In many ways the Big East caused PC to lose their place in the northeast pecking order. Instead of being the Big Fish in New England, they were just another fish in the Big East and never really could get to the top.

They are a stepping stone program and likely will always be one. That’s true of PC. It’s true of most NEWBIE programs. Willard just left the Hall, where he was remarkably ordinary, to take Maryland. Most NEWBIE programs don’t have the money to compete if it comes down to that with the major conferences. Guys who have some level of success are going to get offers and most NOOBS won’t be able to match. There is a reason why last year the Jonnies, Butler and Xavier all hired old guys, 2 with ethical issues, who were unattractive to power programs.

FWIW, I was sure there would be 20 pages decrying the reference to the NEWBIE as a mid-major! LOL

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Imagine in 1998 if Calhoun was poached by Syracuse midway thru the season, tanking the team, then left high and dry after lying that he was staying.

I feel for PC on this one. I’m angry with them.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
GT is barely not the dumpster fire that DePaul is - attendance is beyond terrible and the team is not good. Not sure if the dumping of huge amounts of cash in Cooley's lap is enough, I haven't looked recently but the last two years the Hoya boards had a lot of chat about how Admin didn't care about the program. One would hope after parking the Brinks truck for Cooley that there is real interest in restarting their program, time will tell.

Never liked Cooley, still don't. Guess I'll root for PC for the first time tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Imagine in 1998 if Calhoun was poached by Syracuse midway thru the season, tanking the team, then left high and dry after lying that he was staying.

I feel for PC on this one. I’m angry with them.

I'm in the same boat. My hate for Cooley transcends my hate for Providence. At the end of the day, I want a strong Providence (and Georgetown) because it's good for the conference. Cooley as a person can swallow rocks.

CL82

Reaction Score
What? Deepster said nobody wants to coach at Providence and your reply was to link to a post about a high school kid visiting.

1706287867702.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom