OT: Providence | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Providence

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally do not believe that at this point Georgetown is a superior job than PC for a basketball coach but I can see someone making an argument that it is (or can again become) a superior position.

There's currently something running on one of the cable outlets about basketball in Prince George's county (it's referred to as PG county) which borders DC.

The amount of talent produced there is incredible and if someone could restore the luster and allure to Georgetown that the school had four decades ago, that school would be as significant a force as it was during the Ewing years.

I'm not convinced this can be done because beyond the challenges that a smaller, private school faces (smaller, often scattered alumni base. Georgetown also is located in a somewhat transient city (many DC residents are politicians or associates of those politicians who don't last after an election loss).

Perhaps (they do have quite a few affluent alumni) with NIL they can lessen the ramp-up time to build a team that can compete at a high level but turning that into a consistently successful program will be quie a challenge.

Reaction Score
Makes you really wonder what his next job will be.
^ Bryant

Georgetown sucks but I would really like to see what is happening at their practices this week. I'd imagine there is pain in that gym.
Georgetown has beaten nobody. They even lost to syracuse for pete's sake. I think Cooley will turn that program around once he has a chance to recruit and to portal, and it will take time. But anything can happen and I would expect a bloody brawl tomorrow in providence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is a big part of it. In the 1950-70s Providence was a national player. The only real one in New England. They won an NIT when the NIT was the more important tournament, played major schools, not only local ones. In many ways the Big East caused PC to lose their place in the northeast pecking order. Instead of being the Big Fish in New England, they were just another fish in the Big East and never really could get to the top.

They are a stepping stone program and likely will always be one. That’s true of PC. It’s true of most NEWBIE programs. Willard just left the Hall, where he was remarkably ordinary, to take Maryland. Most NEWBIE programs don’t have the money to compete if it comes down to that with the major conferences. Guys who have some level of success are going to get offers and most NOOBS won’t be able to match. There is a reason why last year the Jonnies, Butler and Xavier all hired old guys, 2 with ethical issues, who were unattractive to power programs.

FWIW, I was sure there would be 20 pages decrying the reference to the NEWBIE as a mid-major! LOL
stop trying to make fetch happen regina george GIF

Reaction Score
I’m afraid he is going to start poaching more of our players at Gtown. Corey Floyd at PC. Who’s next? Andre Johnson Junior?

Reaction Score
The man is from Providence. He should give a crap about building his hometown university's program instead of belittling it on his way out the door and saying publicly that Georgetown, which hasn't been consistently good since the days of Mutombo and Iverson, is a superior job. That's a betrayal when PC has been trying to build something, and has actually gotten good. Plus, his recycled schtick at his hiring announcement made him seem really fake.

If Randy Edsall had been from, say, New Haven, New Britain or Bristol, I bet lots of UConn football fans would despise him for leaving for Maryland in 2011. I know I would have been way more annoyed, instead of being disappointed but taking it in stride. The expectations would be different. (Cue Bruce Springsteen's "My Hometown.") I know it's good for the Big East if G'town gets good again, because they do have historical brand recognition, but it's going to be hard to root for Cooley to be the guy who makes it happen.
That is ridiculous. He grew up in the City of Providence. He didn’t go to PC or play basketball there. Didn’t coach there until he got the job. It makes a nice story, but Why do you assume he had any more connection to the place than to URI. He graduated from Stonehill. To take your example, if Edsall was from New Haven should he have some deep connection with Yale? Of course not. Should Jim Calhoun have been trying to land the BC job? After all, he grew up in Dedham about 5 miles from Chestnut Hill. Again, silly. Cooley took a job. It happened to be in his home town. He got it as far as it was going to go then left for more money in a new job. He’ll do the same there. If he doesn’t produce he’ll get fired. If he does , he might well leave for another one. If he gets caught cheating and hiring hookers he might stay in the NEWBIE and replace Pitino then.

Reaction Score
Imagine in 1998 if Calhoun was poached by Syracuse midway thru the season, tanking the team, then left high and dry after lying that he was staying.

I feel for PC on this one. I’m angry with them.
That was at the point where many people thought Calhoun couldn’t get over the top. There was talk of trying to replace him with Tom Penders a few years earlier. That had mostly died down by 1998, as had Penders’ career. But I imagine many people would have said “Good. Now we can bring in the guy to take the final step.” By the way, at that time a Final Four was the big step, not a National Championship. He had also been much more successful than Cooley FWIW.

Reaction Score
I'm beyond sick and tired of PC fans whining about this. They lost a coach, that happens. They aren't the first school that this happened to and the won't be the last.

I remember when Michigan, with a team capable of making a very deep run in the tournament, discovered days before the tournament began that their head coach was negotiating with another school (to the point where an agreement had been reached and an announcement would be made once Michigan's season was over) to become their head coach. Did they whine? No! They fired the culprit before the tournament began and went on to win the whole thing.

So he had an illicit affair. If this offense is that egregious they should have fired him for it, not whine about it happening and then cry about the role that played in his departure. I remember when Arkansas fired their head football coach once an illicit affair that he was involved in was discovered.

He misled them about his looking to leave. I remember when Cincinnati's head football coach, shortly before a bowl game in what was then their best season ever responded "It's silly season. Don't listen to the noise" when asked if he was interviewing with Notre Dame.

Hell, even schools at the top of the food chain aren't immune to things like this. Michigan just lost their head football coach to the NFL. When Miami was a cut above everyone else in college football they lost their head coach to the NFL three different times (Johnson, Ericson and Davis) and fourth (Schnellenberger) that thought he had an NFL job waiting for him.

Did they apologize to Fairfield for taking Cooley? To GM for taking English? Hell, every head coach comes from somewhere and it's normally at another school's expense.

They need to get over it.
Their panties get twisted over their alleged ownership to the rights to a Taylor Swift song. It’s a fan base of snowflakes.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You’re upset because he… showed love to his former Providence players before visiting?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I personally do not believe that at this point Georgetown is a superior job than PC for a basketball coach but I can see someone making an argument that it is (or can again become) a superior position.

There's currently something running on one of the cable outlets about basketball in Prince George's county (it's referred to as PG county) which borders DC.

The amount of talent produced there is incredible and if someone could restore the luster and allure to Georgetown that the school had four decades ago, that school would be as significant a force as it was during the Ewing years.

I'm not convinced this can be done because beyond the challenges that a smaller, private school faces (smaller, often scattered alumni base. Georgetown also is located in a somewhat transient city (many DC residents are politicians or associates of those politicians who don't last after an election loss).

Perhaps (they do have quite a few affluent alumni) with NIL they can lessen the ramp-up time to build a team that can compete at a high level but turning that into a consistently successful program will be quie a challenge.
Yes, Georgetown has a significant amount of potential for many reasons. Anyone who can’t see that has to take off their NE blinders.

Are they bad now? Of course after a decade of losing. But Cooley will have a lot more juice building that back into a Sweet 16 program than he did doing it for Providence for all the reasons you stated.

The basketball program you’re referring to is ‘Basketball County: In The Water’

Reaction Score

four decades ago? They were in the Final Four in 2007 and made NCAA tournament appearances in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2021 (wikipedia)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
four decades ago? They were in the Final Four in 2007 and made NCAA tournament appearances in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2021 (wikipedia)
I think Otto Porter Jr was POY and a top 3 pick as early as 2012. Georgetown hasn’t been bad for all that long lol

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I guess it's mainly the result of like two posters who spend a lot of time here, but it's still remarkable how much attention is spent on a UConn board about a sort-of rival that rarely wins much of anything.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What I was referring to was the dominance they had early to mid 1980's the aura that surrounded the program at that time and the allure it had for (then it was Dunbar) top HS recruits.

Yes, they had success outside of that period but they never recaptured the image.

Reaction Score
I know quite a few Georgetown alums. Not one of them could give less of an F about Georgetown basketball and they were all there in some pretty good years. I just do not believe the alumni support is there to bring it back to where it was.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, he said no one worth their salt would want to coach at Providence.
I Dont Care Whatever GIF

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what your point is here.

A good recruit is visiting your school and you’re at another schools message board bragging about that?
Geez, maybe he actually thinks we are decent fans of hoop and he is looking for some of that and he doesn’t get it on the PC message boards. I for one find him to be a good poster. He has admitted he wishes they had what we have.

Reaction Score

I actually think it could be fairly easily done there with some competence but I wouldn't trust a program that's shown they're willing to torch their program in some quest to fulfill some legacy that only exists in their heads or that's so long ago it's a distant memory to those who were even around for it.

Georgetown's hire looks like they're finally serious if you just look at the dollar amount but not hiring Pitino and that day 1 press conference shows nothing has really changed there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom