OT: PGA Championship | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: PGA Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope Tiger plays well enough today to make the cut. I'm not a Tiger "fan" per se, but it'd be nice to see him actually playing on Sunday in a major for a change. I think he'll have to shoot even par. I think he can do it.

My gut feeling is that DJ is finally gonna win one.

Phil was all over the place but damn the guy can come up with shots no one else can. Should be gone after today if he hits it off the tee in the same places.

That shot he hit from the bottom of a 20 foot cliff out of the sand was freaking incredible.

He almost chipped in his next shot, too. Crazy.

Reaction Score
The online coverage is terrible....unless I am missing a setting all they are showing you is one group in the am and another in the pm...I may be able get some work done

Reaction Score
The online coverage is terrible....unless I am missing a setting all they are showing you is one group in the am and another in the pm...I may be able get some work done
To be fair, it's the group everyone wants to see and there aren't any ads

Full coverage starts on TNT at 2

Reaction Score
To be fair, it's the group everyone wants to see and there aren't any ads

Full coverage starts on TNT at 2
But I don't have a TV at the office...and the afternoon group is not that interesting if its Tiger again

Reaction Score
But I don't have a TV at the office...and the afternoon group is not that interesting if its Tiger again
And just like yesterday the TV broadcast is shown online at 2pm.

And the featured group, which you can also watch if you wanted in the afternoon is Rickie, DJ and Day

Reaction Score
My gut feeling is that DJ is finally gonna win one.
In this picture, which follows, you're Charlie:

peanuts-lucy-charlie-brown-football.jpg

Reaction Score
Here's my take on the PGA:

Man, Golf misses Tiger. There will probably never be another Tiger. He was "must watch" Golf when he was in contention. He was the little white ball equivalent to Mike Tyson. Or Jordan. You just were compelled to watch him create historical statutes from unformed blobs of clay.

BUT.

Golf now is good. You got little guy without long game who is an ice-blood playmaker and is veeeery young. Check. You've got a likable, multi major winning, young gun, who, when not injuring his ankle, has the potential to offer a long term, intense rivalry with the playmaker. Check. You've got "most talented to never win a Major, and really, while we're thinking about it, the guy may be the most talented, period, but hasn't been able to do it when it counts." Check. You've got Jason Day, who not only has a hot wife, but who always brings his A game to majors. Check. You've got a cadre of name-recoginzable players who are in the mix at every major. Check. You've got a couple of older, well liked guys who are still a threat on any given Sunday to make a run. Check.

Golf is better than it's been since Mrs. Woods hit the best 9 iron of her life, upside Eldrick's head.

A new day.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Surprised nobody has mentioned today's action. It was a freaking roller coaster. At one point when Jordan was 6 strokes back and Day was surging ahead, I thought Day's gonna get his first. Then the double on 15 and par on 16. That's basically 3 dropped. I was really thinking if the vertigo doesn't come back, Day cruises to a major. But then that happened.

Spieth goes 6 under on the back nine with no bogies for the day and gets to within 2 and makes the final pairing.

Several other players surge from way back and the leader board is packed with players who can make a run. There are 7 players 5 back who can make a run and Dustin at 6 back can exorcise some demons with a 64.

My take is the winner comes out of the final pairing. Typically Jordan will be hitting first into the green and if Day can match his shots to the pin, Day gets his first. If he can't Jordan wins this by a couple.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Five players left.

Day
Spieth
Grace
Rose
Kaymer

Three of them have won majors, two of them have won multiple majors. Day's turn to shine. I am curious to see how the ratings play out tomorrow. Day/Spieth final pairing is a golf dream match up. Want to see how much crossover appeal there is right now.

Reaction Score
Day/Spieth is the best final pairing possible. Love it.

I was trying to put a curse on Rose through my TV screen last night so he wouldn't sneak into the top 2. Guess it worked.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Day/Spieth is the best final pairing possible. Love it.

I was trying to put a curse on Rose through my TV screen last night so he wouldn't sneak into the top 2. Guess it worked.

The last 3-4 groups are all very good. I like having Rose and Kaymer off a bit in front. Both have won majors and if they get off --1 or -2 before Day and Spieth tee off it will be very compelling TV.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Wife's gone for the day just me and beer to enjoy what surely will be a special final round this afternoon!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Like those - Bubba for me is just not a likable dude. I'm sure he's okay but there's a lot of fake in him from what I read. Nonetheless he's USA so may need to root for him coming home.

How did you like his interaction with the rules official over the ant hill?

For the record, I think it's assinine you don't get free relief from an ant hill. I'm actually pleasantly surprised the ant hill wasn't ruled a bunker.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Kept waiting for Day to slip up. He started to a couple of times and then quickly got things under control. Spieth just couldn't really mount a charge to put much pressure on him. Easily left two shots on the front side which would have changed everything.

Really got to give it to Day for keeping a pad on his lead and shooting the lowest score ever in a major.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For golf fans the game is as healthy as it has been in a long time.

Spieth, Day, Rory and Adam Scott all have 15 more years in their prime.

Bubba, Kaymer, Rose and Zach Johnson still can pull a major or two out of their hats.

Keegan Bradley and Webb Simpson have won majors but aren't on the top tier right now.

DJ and Fowler better win soon.

Sergio looks to be going the Monte, Westwood and Donald route.

And then there are a bunch of hungry players who played well all Sunday.

For the next decade every major championship is going to have 5-10 players on the leaderboard with majors to their name and in their prime.

Reaction Score
For golf fans the game is as healthy as it has been in a long time.

Spieth, Day, Rory and Adam Scott all have 15 more years in their prime.

Bubba, Kaymer, Rose and Zach Johnson still can pull a major or two out of their hats.

Keegan Bradley and Webb Simpson have won majors but aren't on the top tier right now.

DJ and Fowler better win soon.

Sergio looks to be going the Monte, Westwood and Donald route.

And then there are a bunch of hungry players who played well all Sunday.

For the next decade every major championship is going to have 5-10 players on the leaderboard with majors to their name and in their prime.
Rickie is 26 he has a lot time left. Not a doubt my mind DJ wins a few majors in the next 5 years.

Two other guys who are young and will be in every major conversation for years to come are Brooks Kopeka and Hideki Matsyuma.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Rickie is 26 he has a lot time left. Not a doubt my mind DJ wins a few majors in the next 5 years.

Two other guys who are young and will be in every major conversation for years to come are Brooks Kopeka and Hideki Matsyuma.
No idea why you would think Dustin will win one - he just doesn't seem to have the mental game to get it done. Amazing golfer in regulars, but I just don't see him holding it together for four rounds in the majors particularly after this year. Put Spieths brain in that body and Jack's records would be crumbling.

Rickie may get one but at 26 he's only won on tour 2 times in 6 years. Granted one is the Players which is impressive, but it's not like he's been burning up the PGA with wins. Not sure why you would expect him to win a major. It wouldn't be shocking to me if he got one, but I would guess it's unlikely. Other than 2014 where he had an impressive run with 2 seconds, a third and a 5th in the majors, his next highest finish is tied for 10th in 2013.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
No idea why you would think Dustin will win one - he just doesn't seem to have the mental game to get it done. Amazing golfer in regulars, but I just don't see him holding it together for four rounds in the majors particularly after this year. Put Spieths brain in that body and Jack's records would be crumbling.

Rickie may get one but at 26 he's only won on tour 2 times in 6 years. Granted one is the Players which is impressive, but it's not like he's been burning up the PGA with wins. Not sure why you would expect him to win a major. It wouldn't be shocking to me if he got one, but I would guess it's unlikely. Other than 2014 where he had an impressive run with 2 seconds, a third and a 5th in the majors, his next highest finish is tied for 10th in 2013.
Woops - he was tied for top 5 in the 2011 Open Championship. Same response, however.

Reaction Score
Great major. Happy for Day, though I was pulling for Spieth. The #1 world ranking is quite a consolation prize.

I think golf popularity is going to blow up in the next few years. It's amazingly entertaining and there is so much young talent.

Felt bad for DJ on the first hole. Guy recovered spectacularly well though. He played a great round after that

Reaction Score

If DJ could get 1 mulligan a round he'd never lose. Was +5 after 4, and finished -3. Spectacular, with a bogie on 17 also. Must be something about pressure at that level.

Reaction Score

DJ will win a major next year. 1 out of the next 4, I'm sure of it.

People are trying to act like he's so soft mentally, but time after time he's right back there at the top of the leaderboard after being disappointed. The guy is a freak athlete. Very soon things will go his way.

With Fowler, he's still young. He's the new Sergio. He'll always be popular and contend but probably won't win a huge number of tournaments. Won't be surprised at all if he gets 1 or 2 majors over the years, he's gonna play a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom