OT: Patriots | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
upstater said:
With HFA on the line, they wanted to win the game. Brady though had taken some bad punishment, and they ran out of offensive lineman. Stork moved to guard, Waddle ( a guy I never heard of) to LT after Vollmer went down, Andrews came in at center, and then when Waddle got hurt, Cannon moved to LT and I don't even know who could have played RT at that point. These are the Patriots O-lineman hurt so far this season: Nate Solder, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell on IR. Brian Stork came back from missing 10 games. Then last week Josh Kline. Then today Vollmer and Waddle. Losing 6 OL is going to leave you thin, which is why they played a street free agent they signed on Wed. at LT. And the he got hurt. This is why they had 3 TEs on the field at all times. Two on each side to protect the tackles. And with just a couple guys running routes, and DLs coming free untouched on Brady, it was a miracle that the game got to OT at all.

It's a Christmas miracle .

Reaction Score
Why would they defer? In OT, Belichick takes the ball all the time.

Actually, in the post game interviews both and and Slater said that the plan had been to kick. The theory amongst the beat writers is that BB didn't trust the offense to go 80 yards downfield and score. The D had been playing well in the second half, so the thought was to try and get a 3 and out and hope for better field position. Unfortunately when the safety Jordan Richards went out, they had to bring in a Tavon Wilson (a CB) to take his place. He got crossed up with another guy and that lead to the big 48 yard pass play.

Reaction Score
With HFA on the line, they wanted to win the game. Brady though had taken some bad punishment, and they ran out of offensive lineman. Stork moved to guard, Waddle ( a guy I never heard of) to LT after Vollmer went down, Andrews came in at center, and then when Waddle got hurt, Cannon moved to LT and I don't even know who could have played RT at that point.

These are the Patriots O-lineman hurt so far this season: Nate Solder, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell on IR. Brian Stork came back from missing 10 games. Then last week Josh Kline. Then today Vollmer and Waddle.

Losing 6 OL is going to leave you thin, which is why they played a street free agent they signed on Wed. at LT. And the he got hurt. This is why they had 3 TEs on the field at all times. Two on each side to protect the tackles. And with just a couple guys running routes, and DLs coming free untouched on Brady, it was a miracle that the game got to OT at all.

They can still get home field if they beat the Dolphins next week.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Does it get any better than the Jets winning?
Life long Giants fan but I am not a Patriots hater - in fact after the Gmen I root for the Pats
The Jets - I dislike, not as much as the Cowboys or the Ravens but...............
As far as the game today - besides the "rivalry, what did the Pats have to play for? All the pressure was on the Jets. HFA, yeah but 1st round bye more important by far

Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:
Assuming Edlemen is back, I still think New England is the team to beat in the AFC. But whoever the Patriots play in their first playoff game - whether it's Denver, the Jets, Pittsburgh or Kansas City - will give them all they can handle...unless it's somehow Houston.

Ya think? The AFC is horrible. Tell me which QB is going into Foxboro and winning? The steelers aren't in the playoffs at this time so Rothlisberger isn't a choice. Easy road to Super Bowl for the Pats.

Reaction Score
Ya think? The AFC is horrible. Tell me which QB is going into Foxboro and winning? The steelers aren't in the playoffs at this time so Rothlisberger isn't a choice. Easy road to Super Bowl for the Pats.

Obviously any team that goes in there is going to be disadvantaged at the quarterback position, but KC, Denver, and NYJ all have very good defenses and a lot of talent at the skill positions. If Mark Sanchez can win there in the playoffs, so can one of the other guys.

Reaction Score
If Brock osweiller , Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Sam Bradford can beat the pats, then I don't think any of those other names are a total stretch. With that o line, any team with a good pass rush is going to have a good shot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Brock osweiller , Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Sam Bradford can beat the pats, then I don't think any of those other names are a total stretch. With that o line, any team with a good pass rush is going to have a good shot.

Fair assessment on the O-Line but any D's success is going to depend on which receivers are playing for NE. If they have Edelman and Amendola back then Brady will be able to employ the usual quick release that he does so well. With the "B Squad" out there guys aren't getting open nearly as quickly so he's taking a lot more hits, sacks, etc. If Brady is getting rid of the ball in < 2.5 secs the OL's deficiencies will not be as obvious.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here's my explanation: the Pats were throwing the game to get the Jets into the playoff field and keep the Steelers out (their score was final at the time of coin flip). I don't think any team in the AFC field worries the Pats more than Pittsburgh - they have the QB with playoff pedigree, a stout running game, a plethora of talented receivers to defend, and a defense that can shut down the Pats banged up offense. The Steelers would present the Patriots with the most difficult matchup problems so keeping them out and letting a weaker Jets in weakens the AFC field.

And no, I'm not serious. Or am I?

Reaction Score
Here's my explanation: the Pats were throwing the game to get the Jets into the playoff field and keep the Steelers out (their score was final at the time of coin flip). I don't think any team in the AFC field worries the Pats more than Pittsburgh - they have the QB with playoff pedigree, a stout running game, a plethora of talented receivers to defend, and a defense that can shut down the Pats banged up offense. The Steelers would present the Patriots with the most difficult matchup problems so keeping them out and letting a weaker Jets in weakens the AFC field.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was what Belichick is hoping for.

Reaction Score

It makes sense. The Pats lose but their road to the Super Bowl got easier with Pittsburgh most likely out of it. Pats beat Miami next week and they have home field advantage. It was not such a bad day for them. If they can get a lot of these guys back for the playoffs they should be meeting Arizona in the Super Bowl.

Reaction Score
The AFC is especially horrendous this year, I would be shocked if the Patriots don't make the Super Bowl.

Reaction Score
The Patriots intention was to defer the option to receive and choose the direction. Bill likely told him something along the lines of, 'if we win the toss we're going to kick and choose the direction.' Slater made the mistake of saying they wanted to kick instead of defer, which gave the Jets the option of receiving and choosing the direction.
What? Any coach that would be dumb enough to defer in OT should be fired and Belichick is a lot of things but dumb isn't one of them.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Priceless, the pats can never just lose a game on the field, it is either: A) the officials
B) a conspiracy by the nfl and possibly........... Aliens
C) they choose to lose as some sort of master plan for their playoff run ( never mind that the best playoff run odds is HFA) Pats threads are always entertaining and rate high on the lulz scale. Thanks!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Assuming Edlemen is back, I still think New England is the team to beat in the AFC. But whoever the Patriots play in their first playoff game - whether it's Denver, the Jets, Pittsburgh or Kansas City - will give them all they can handle...unless it's somehow Houston.

Only one I'm worried about is Pittsburgh. Fortunately with KC win and their loss, they took a significant step back.

Pats would beat the Broncos handily w a full contingent imo.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Eh, most of the losing can be pinned on big time personnel injuries. At various points for those games, multiple of Edelman, Amendola, Gronk, Collins, Hightower, McCourty, Chung, etc were out. And all those losses were so close up to the end.

Give them the top two wide receivers and the top two safeties today and they win by 14. jmo of course.

Reaction Score
Priceless, the pats can never just lose a game on the field, it is either: A) the officials
B) a conspiracy by the nfl and possibly...... Aliens
C) they choose to lose as some sort of master plan for their playoff run ( never mind that the best playoff run odds is HFA) Pats threads are always entertaining and rate high on the lulz scale. Thanks!

Psssst....they can still get HFA if they win next wk!

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Is there someone claiming it's a conspiracy here? It was a mistake by Slater. It happens.

Nobody said they tried to lose on purpose. That makes no sense.

EDIT: oh, I see someone made a joke about it. my bad.

Reaction Score
This thread perfectly sums up Pats fans and upstater never disappoints. I didn't watch the game so just assumed Belichick wouldn't be dumb enough to kick away in OT but upstater is just hilarious. He goes fullblown conspiracy theory, then when it comes out it was Belichick's decision he goes fullblown providing cover for Bill's ridiculous decision by rattling off all of their offensive lineman injuries. Can't even make this stuff up.

Reaction Score
Only one I'm worried about is Pittsburgh. Fortunately with KC win and their loss, they took a significant step back.

Pats would beat the Broncos handily w a full contingent imo.

I guess I just take KC and New York more seriously than most. Between them they've won 14 in a row.

Even when the Patriots were relatively whole, the Jets played them tough.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And the Pats are most likely playing more starters next week. To avoid to long of a layoff.

I wouldn't mind them playing Amendola and Edelman, if possible, to knock the rust off.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I guess I just take KC and New York more seriously than most. Between them they've won 14 in a row.

Even when the Patriots were relatively whole, the Jets played them tough.

All teams (ex Houston) are generally good in the Playoffs, so not taking anyone for granted, but no team outside Pittsburgh 'scares' me.

Jets always do play them tough, but Amendola/Edelman fix so many problems they had today w the Jets. And not having McCourty/Chung was like ripping the head off the defense. I'll be confident of a (hard fought) win.

Don't have a good read on KC, I admit.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The Patriots (especially Brady and Belichick) hate the Jets so there is no way they would let the Jets win. They are rivals: the Jets would lose a game if it meant the Pats missing out on something important (such as the playoffs in 2008) and the Pats would do the same if the Jets had an opportunity to clinch something. On top of that, Belichick is incredibly competitive (proving it by going for 16-0 when he could have rested players in a game he had more to lose [injuries] than gain [perfection]). The theory about the Steelers being a more difficult opponent than the Jets (which isn't even true) is ridiculous at best. For one, there is no guarantee the Patriots would meet EITHER of these teams in the playoffs so why try to predict the future (especially if they fall to the #2 seed). Now is it true that both the Steelers and Jets would likely beat the Broncos (in their current condition)? Probably, but you can't assume those things. Also, if it's true that the Pats were trying to throw the game, why were they behind so long (even when the Steelers were down double digits) and then furiously came back (even though the Steelers were still down by 10).

The truth of the matter is: the Jets were better today, and likely were more than a touchdown better. The only thing that made this a game was the fumble the Jet's lineman head butted instead of holding on to. Did the Patriots have plenty of injuries? Sure, but overall, the Jets were better. Honestly, I'm not convinced we won't see this match up again in either the Divisional Round or the AFC Championship Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom