OT: Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He said either one of two things: "We want TO kickoff."

Or,

"We want THE kickoff."

The ref interpreted him to mean, "We want TO kickoff."

But it was clear Slater thought he had said the opposite, because he immediately said, "We won the coin toss, we get to choose."

Reaction Score
Scratch that: apparently the ref is the one who used those words as a question. This is according to NFL beat reporters.

"You want the kickoff?"

Reaction Score
The Patriots intention was to defer the option to receive and choose the direction. Bill likely told him something along the lines of, 'if we win the toss we're going to kick and choose the direction.' Slater made the mistake of saying they wanted to kick instead of defer, which gave the Jets the option of receiving and choosing the direction.

Reaction Score
The Patriots intention was to defer the option to receive and choose the direction. Bill likely told him something along the lines of, 'if we win the toss we're going to kick and choose the direction.' Slater made the mistake of saying they wanted to kick instead of defer, which gave the Jets the option of receiving and choosing the direction.

Why would they defer? In OT, Belichick takes the ball all the time.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
that's not what the announcers were saying... they also said the ref kind of set up slater with saying you want to kick... then revis was confused

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
According to Slater, it was Belichick's decision to kickoff. The confusion was over the direction.

Reaction Score

They wanted to put their best unit on the field. Under the old OT rules, they would have chosen to receive. I actually agreed with the decision at the time.

Reaction Score

Almost all the time. The Patriots also won the toss and opted to kickoff in the 2013 OT win over the Broncos. The wind was a key factor in that decision, though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
#tossgate Sounds like billy wanted to defer. Yikes.

Slater said the coaches wanted to kick. He checked multiple times to be sure.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Almost all the time. The Patriots also won the toss and opted to kickoff in the 2013 OT win over the Broncos. The wind was a key factor in that decision, though.

"We'll take the wind." Legendary.

Didn't work out this time. Oh well.

Reaction Score
They should hang a banner: "Regular Season Record Against the Patriots: 1-1"

The Jets can't do that if they wanted to. That sort of thing has been trademarked by the Indianapolis Colts.

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
"We'll take the wind." Legendary. Didn't work out this time. Oh well.
Didn't they trade multiple possessions in that OT and it was a muffed punt by welker that was the difference? Pats weren't even moving the ball with the wind, but it was certainly harder for the Broncos to move. I agreed with the call in that game.

Reaction Score
What was suspicious was the fact that this happened right after it was known the Steelers lost. Having the Steelers not in the playoffs was the best case scenario for the Pats. Patriots seem more content with getting healthy for the playoff than going all out to win these games. But that is their luxury. They earned it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Didn't they trade multiple possessions in that OT and it was a muffed punt by welker that was the difference? Pats weren't even moving the ball with the wind. I agreed with the call in that game but don't think it had a huge impact.

Don't remember the details myself, but it was the 'balls' of the call that got me. Exactly zero other coaches in the league would have done the same thing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What was suspicious was the fact that this happened right after it was known the Steelers lost. Having the Steelers not in the playoffs was the best case scenario for the Pats. Patriots seem more content with getting healthy for the playoff than going all out to win these games. But that is their luxury. They earned it.

Pretty sure Belichick wants to Herm Edwards it.

Reaction Score

With HFA on the line, they wanted to win the game. Brady though had taken some bad punishment, and they ran out of offensive lineman. Stork moved to guard, Waddle ( a guy I never heard of) to LT after Vollmer went down, Andrews came in at center, and then when Waddle got hurt, Cannon moved to LT and I don't even know who could have played RT at that point.

These are the Patriots O-lineman hurt so far this season: Nate Solder, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell on IR. Brian Stork came back from missing 10 games. Then last week Josh Kline. Then today Vollmer and Waddle.

Losing 6 OL is going to leave you thin, which is why they played a street free agent they signed on Wed. at LT. And the he got hurt. This is why they had 3 TEs on the field at all times. Two on each side to protect the tackles. And with just a couple guys running routes, and DLs coming free untouched on Brady, it was a miracle that the game got to OT at all.

Reaction Score
Assuming Edlemen is back, I still think New England is the team to beat in the AFC. But whoever the Patriots play in their first playoff game - whether it's Denver, the Jets, Pittsburgh or Kansas City - will give them all they can handle...unless it's somehow Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom