OT - Patriots | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT - Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I mentioned before, that O should be far, far better than it is, but you also have to give the Pats secondary credit. Between Revis, Browner, McCourty, and crew, it's pretty damn good. They shut down everybody so far, outside of that dumpster fire of a 'game' against KC.

The Cutler 'turnover' stat is mind boggling. When he doesn't turn it over, they win. When he does they lose.

Jay, just don't turn it over.

I give the Pats D credit but as good as it is we should still be able to move the ball and score points against ANYONE with the talent we have. KC put up points on you guys and they dont have the firepower we have. Revis is great and can cover anyone but when you have 2 A+ recievers he cant cover both and double teams would open things up for Bennett,Forte and Holmes out of the slot.

Reaction Score
You have to realize however that Brady put up most of those points and TDs before halftime. He had 4 TDs and the Patriots had 40-odd points at the half.
How many 3 and outs did our offense have in the first half? Second half the Patriots took the foot off the gas peddle or it couldve been historically embarrassing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I give the Pats D credit but as good as it is we should still be able to move the ball and score points against ANYONE with the talent we have. KC put up points on you guys and they dont have the firepower we have. Revis is great and can cover anyone but when you have 2 A+ recievers he cant cover both and double teams would open things up for Bennett,Forte and Holmes out of the slot.

KC put up points because the Pats didn't even show up for that game. Nobody showed up. That game was a wakeup call, and was more of an aberration (a one off) than a reality. Also, Browner is a very, very good corner, and is one of the few corners in the league who can match up well to bigger receivers and tight ends. McCourty is one of the best safeties in the league as well.

I do agree that you should be able to put up points on anyone though. Not knocking your point. I just think the Pats D is better than they've shown so far. Unfortunately, they lost the heart and soul (captain) in the middle of their Defense for the year (Jerod Mayo). That will put them a few steps back.

Reaction Score
All quarterbacks are like this, but slower, pure pocket passers even moreso. Manning is the same way, which is where the phrase "Peyton Manning Happy Feet" comes from (Patriots fans used to laugh at this when we played more often). If Peyton is pressured and he can't get it out quick, he's not very accurate (his post season numbers reflect this). Fortunately, Peyton normally has a stud offensive line and an ungodly compliment of receivers. Guys like Rodgers, Brees and Roethlisberger can move away from pressure with their legs.

With respect to Brady, I think that meme has taken on more legs than it should. Most of the times you see it from Tom is when he's throwing to a bunch of also-rans or when the O-line completely implodes, as they did against the Giants in 2007. The Giants won that game completely with the defensive line.

yeah true about most QB's but some don't whine as much as Tom over the last 3 years. Not being happy about pressure is one thing but looking for flags everytime you do get hit is another. Nonetheless when he has time and he's on he's a tough SOB to beat......

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
yeah true about most QB's but some don't whine as much as Tom over the last 3 years. Not being happy about pressure is one thing but looking for flags everytime you do get hit is another. Nonetheless when he has time and he's on he's a tough SOB to beat.
Manning doesn't complain because his GM does it for him.

For whatever reason, Polian enjoyed sitting in the press box during games, where his passion was on full display for the media. During the 2003 AFC Championship Game in Foxboro, Polian raged from the press box at perceived pass interference penalties that weren’€™t called against the New England secondary, at one point yelling, ‘€œThrow the (expletive) flag!’€ He was a member of the NFL’€™s competition committee, and that offseason, in a move that was widely perceived as a swipe at the Patriots, lobbied for stronger rules when it came to pass defense, cracking down on illegal contact and defensive holding, rules that have had a colossal impact on the game the last few years.

Reaction Score
yeah true about most QB's but some don't whine as much as Tom over the last 3 years. Not being happy about pressure is one thing but looking for flags everytime you do get hit is another. Nonetheless when he has time and he's on he's a tough SOB to beat.

This idea about Brady getting calls a bit of a myth. At least it was a few years ago when the Ravens brought it up: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32380887/2

Brady does not get many roughing calls.

Pereira continues: "What about Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? Let me look down the list, although it might take me a while since they both are way down there. Brady does get more protection than Manning, that’s for sure. Brady has drawn 0.16 roughing the passer calls per 100 attempts compared to 0.15 for Manning. That, for Brady, is one call in every 625 pass attempts, while for Manning it is one call for every 679 attempts."

Pereira's right: Brady and Manning rarely benefit from roughing the passer penalties. There's a simple explanation, too: they're the beneficiaries of good offensive lines and they, along with Drew Brees, get rid of the ball quicker than anybody else in the league. Adjusted sack rate bears this out: In 2010, the Colts were first, the Patriots were sixth. Again, this is probably worth mentioning.

What's changed in the last couple of years is that the Patriots have gone from 6th to being one of the worst in the league in allowing sacks. And I can't even remember the last roughing Brady got. He definitely deserved one against the Jets last week on a late hit when he got rid of the ball seconds earlier. A Patriots O-lineman got a PI for going after the guy who hit him late.

There's an interview with Strahan and justin Tuck available on the Dan Patrick archives where they both call Brady the toughest QB in the league in terms of hitting him hard without taking him out of the game. They said that because of the two Super Bowls. I do think there are other tougher QBs in terms of taking physical punishment, like Ben Roethlisberger for instance, but Brady is big and he takes a beating.

Reaction Score
If a team takes Brady and you are left with Manning would you be bummed (or vice versa)?

I am leaving the country on Saturday for a week. My daughter calls me on Monday asking me if I want to see the Pats play at Foxboro with her. I asked who they were playing, she says against someone named Manning. She has 50 yard line seats bout 12 row up. Perfect.

I am so bummed right now!

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
So...we're all on the same page that the Patriots are by far the best team in the NFL at the moment.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
So...we're all on the same page that the Patriots are by far the best team in the NFL at the moment.

What, no, the Packers would probably beat them the way they are playing right now. We will see in a couple weeks.

BUHusky

Reaction Score
What, no, the Packers would probably beat them the way they are playing right now. We will see in a couple weeks.
The Packers are certainly playing good football, but when looking at each team's last 2 games I'll take a home win over the Broncos and road win over the Colts versus home wins against the Bears and Eagles.

Luckily this debate will be settled on the field in a couple of weeks. Thankfully it's a 4 PM game and won't conflict with UConn/Texas.

Reaction Score
The Packers are certainly playing good football, but when looking at each team's last 2 games I'll take a home win over the Broncos and road win over the Colts versus home wins against the Bears and Eagles.

Luckily this debate will be settled on the field in a couple of weeks.

Imagine what the Packers scores would have been if Rodgers played more than a half against Chicago and the last quarter and a half today.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Imagine what the Packers scores would have been if Rodgers played more than a half against Chicago and the last quarter and a half today.

Imagine if Brady actually played well tonight? They might have scored 60 points. Rodgers looks phenomenal right now. Pats secondary does too though. Hopefully Chandler Jones is back for the game.

Should be an interesting game. Always tough to win at Lambeau.

BUHusky

Reaction Score
Imagine what the Pats record would be if Gronk was fully healthy from the start of the season or the O-line didn't take 5 weeks to figure things out. What ifs are fun and all...

Reaction Score
Imagine what the Pats record would be if Gronk was fully healthy from the start of the season or the O-line didn't take 5 weeks to figure things out. What ifs are fun and all...

Because Gronk being injured (as he has been for three years) and their O-Line not playing well is the same thing as Rodgers being pulled because he was absolutely destroying the other teams.

Reaction Score

Oh yeah BY FAR....lol

They're playing very good, that was impressive last night and prior. Rogers has the Pack on another level offensively so by far is beyond ridiculous but expected!

They are by far better than the Giants :eek: I will give you that

Reaction Score

Well, yeah, but only if Jimmy G is the starting QB. A big caveat, but eh, what can you do.

Reaction Score
The QB with the best week next week is the best QB I've ever seen by far.

It's funny that in this thread about the demise of the Patriots, with more than a few posts about Manning's utter brilliance, you see comments like that. Heck, I'll go one better: Marino is the best QB I've ever seen. He is.

I think we see now what happens when Manning loses a weapon. Or two. Just Tamme, Welker and Demaryious won't cut it. He needs Julius Thomas and well he had 3/4s of Sanders. QBs need their weapons. Brady without Gronk is not going to cut it. Rodgers himself was more than iffy to start the season.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah BY FAR....lol

They're playing very good, that was impressive last night and prior. Rogers has the Pack on another level offensively so by far is beyond ridiculous but expected!

They are by far better than the Giants :eek: I will give you that
Eh. I really this Packers team, especially with Peppers and a healthy Matthews solidifying the inside. And Rodgers has that offense playing on another level at home.

But with Arizona two games up in the standings, I'd like to see the Packers look competent on the road before declaring them the team to beat. They're 2-3 away from Lambeau Field, and all three losses has been pretty bad (36-16 at Seattle, 19-7 at Detroit, 44-23 at New Orleans).

I still think it's too early to name a favorite, but it looks like the Patriots will be in the mix. They've laid a beat down on the Bengals, Broncos and Colts, and they're slated to get their second best defensive player (Chandler Jones) back in the near future.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Gronk and Revis need to stay healthy. The Patriot Super Bowl hopes rely very heavily on those two (and obviously Brady). But yeah, they're playing ridiculously well right now.

Reaction Score
The Patriots secondary vs Green Bay WR's should be very interesting. Strength on Strength. Revis will most likely be all over Nelson, but I think another possible scenario would be Revis on Cobb and Browner on Nelson with McCourty shading Nelson's side of the field. I hope its cold too. Brady loves him some cold weather.

And btw for any hardcore Pats fan on here you should check out patsfootballfans.com ....... Its a fan made blog community but more chatboard style. Pretty cool place. We talk about a lot more than just football too.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Patriots secondary vs Green Bay WR's should be very interesting. Strength on Strength. Revis will most likely be all over Nelson, but I think another possible scenario would be Revis on Cobb and Browner on Nelson with McCourty shading Nelson's side of the field. I hope its cold too. Brady loves him some cold weather.

And btw for any hardcore Pats fan on here you should check out patsfootballfans.com .. Its a fan made blog community but more chatboard style. Pretty cool place. We talk about a lot more than just football too.
Yeah, Rogers hates playing in the cold. He sucked yesterday. He's plays well under sunny Green Bay skies...wait, WHAT?!?!:rolleyes:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, Rogers hates playing in the cold. He sucked yesterday. He's plays well under sunny Green Bay skies...wait, WHAT?!?!:rolleyes:

Ahh he's a California boy, can't take the cold, unlike Tom...uh, never mind. ;)

Seriously, that game looks like a Superbowl preview at the moment. Patriots have a pretty brutal schedule this year and can't look past the Lions.

Reaction Score
You know some 9-7/10-6 wild card team is going roll through both the Broncos and the Patriots on the road and win the superbowl over the Packers. Sounds familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom