OT: Official Boneyard Super Bowl Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: Official Boneyard Super Bowl Thread

Reaction Score
Come on. Do you even try to be impartial? There were two obvious roughing the passer calls on hits to Brady that went uncalled. The refs let both teams play on the defensive end. They both played by 1970's rules. Why? I have no idea unless the NFL decided to cover up their egregious no-call that cost the Saints a Super Bowl by not calling anything all game.

You are kidding and being very sarcastic about the roughing Brady calls right? I hope do because whatever I said would make you a ton less impartial than I could ever be. There was nothing close at all. And like it or not jackson or whomever did get his left arm even Romo saw it on the replay. But I had no problem with not making the call. But the "hitting the defenseless receiver" was a complete joke by far the worst of the game. Nothing came from it though I don't believe thanks God for the Rams, gave them another series though.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The problem is brady is rarely pressured. You need to go find DL studs to get to him if you want to beat him. Especially if
you are facing him 2-3 times a year

There's a reason for that though. He reads a defense so well pre and post snap, identifies matchups and targets so quickly, and then gets the ball out so fast, that it gives defense very little time to get to him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
But I had no problem with not making the call. But the "hitting the defenseless receiver" was a complete joke by far the worst of the game. Nothing came from it though I don't believe thanks God for the Rams, gave them another series though.

I didn't understand that ruling. If we are going by current NFL rules, it should have been helmet to helmet.

I don't like it, but that's how they are calling it now.

Reaction Score
I didn't understand that ruling. If we are going by current NFL rules, it should have been helmet to helmet.

I don't like it, but that's how they are calling it now.

They can't call it like that it's impossible. There was no helmet to helmet that was a clean play. By no means do you need to give the guy room to land, how many receivers get their legs taken out while in the air trying to make there catch. They made up something that didn't happen. That was a good defensive reread to think the defensive guy needs to wait for him to get ready to play is ridiiculous. Pretty soon it will be like Duke flopping out on the football field.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They can't call it like that it's impossible. There was no helmet to helmet that was a clean play. By no means do you need to give the guy room to land, how many receivers get their legs taken out while in the air trying to make there catch. They made up something that didn't happen. That was a good defensive reread to think the defensive guy needs to wait for him to get ready to play is ridiiculous.

I just read the ruling (see excerpt below) and it looks like it does qualify for defenseless player. Even though you may dislike the rule, the refs didn't get it wrong.

Defenseless definition (bold is mine):

A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player

A receiver running a pass route when the defender approaches from the side or behind. If the receiver becomes a blocker or assumes a blocking posture, he is no longer a defenseless player.

Prohibited contact:

Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him

lowering the head and making forcible contact with the crown or ”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body

Reaction Score
I just read the ruling (see excerpt below) and it looks like it does qualify for defenseless player. Even though you may dislike the rule, the refs didn't get it wrong.

Defenseless definition (bold is mine):

A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player

A receiver running a pass route when the defender approaches from the side or behind. If the receiver becomes a blocker or assumes a blocking posture, he is no longer a defenseless player.

Prohibited contact:

Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him

lowering the head and making forcible contact with the crown or ”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body

Seriously he catches the ball and the defensive guy who reads the play needs to wait for him to turn around? They can't be serious the way that guy made that play that can't possibly be a flag, impossible it was nothing but real nice D. I doubt they got that right because it was a solid pay but if for some reason they aren't just throwing crap out there to make people believe they got it right I hope it's already changed because thats worst than the crap on the QBs and might as well just attach the flags to the QB, RBs and receivers.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Seriously he catches the ball and the defensive guy who reads the play needs to wait for him to turn around?
Or just not hit him in the head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder. Wrap him up waist high and you are fine.

Reaction Score
Personal; my alma mater. UConn is also my alma mater. UConn just attracts way more spectators.

Prep has the most hockey championships, at least. Championship games tend to sell out at Ingalls Rink in New Haven.

Me too. What year? Can't say I am emotionally invested in their hockey team though. I never made it to a single game as a student.

Reaction Score
The problem is brady is rarely pressured. You need to go find DL studs to get to him if you want to beat him. Especially if
you are facing him 2-3 times a year

It depends on the # of games you're looking at. He wasn't pressured at all in the playoffs this year, because they totally abandoned long developing plays.

If you go back several years, he was sacked and pressured more than anyone else.

Guy has been playing so long you can say almost anything about him. He's never pressured. Certainly true in these playoffs. He's pressured a lot. True for being the most sacked over the span of 2 or 3 years about 5 years ago. He wilts under pressure. 1st Super Bowl against Giants, KC regular season game a few years ago, against the Ravens in 2010. He's great under pressure. For many years, he lead the NFL in QB rating against the blitz. He was hit hard against the Seahawks in the SB.

So, it's all true. Guy has been playing for so very long.

Reaction Score
You are kidding and being very sarcastic about the roughing Brady calls right? I hope do because whatever I said would make you a ton less impartial than I could ever be. There was nothing close at all. And like it or not jackson or whomever did get his left arm even Romo saw it on the replay. But I had no problem with not making the call. But the "hitting the defenseless receiver" was a complete joke by far the worst of the game. Nothing came from it though I don't believe thanks God for the Rams, gave them another series though.

You always do this.

You pick one iffy call and neglect all the others.

I mean, off the top of my head, they threw a flag on Gilmore for holding and it was clear across the field from the play and inconsequential. It was like a turnover since the Rams failed on 3rd down. It's just as iffy as any other call.

Reaction Score
Seriously he catches the ball and the defensive guy who reads the play needs to wait for him to turn around? They can't be serious the way that guy made that play that can't possibly be a flag, impossible it was nothing but real nice D. I doubt they got that right because it was a solid pay but if for some reason they aren't just throwing crap out there to make people believe they got it right I hope it's already changed because thats worst than the crap on the QBs and might as well just attach the flags to the QB, RBs and receivers.

He doesn't have to wait for him to turn around.

He just can't make helmet contact.

He can hit him in the body.

Reaction Score

It was a bad call but the only egregious call in my mind all game. And importantly, it didn't affect the score.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I just read that from the NFL rulebook. I don't know if they put something out there about it yet. I'm assuming they'll have to. But Roger Goodell, so you never know.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was a bad call but the only egregious call in my mind all game. And importantly, it didn't affect the score.

It was a textbook call. Easy to make and not even legitimately debatable. Helmet to helmet. Penalty. Period. Is it a dumb rule? Yes. Does it penalize some guys who tried to tackle the body but the other player went low? Yes. But that didn’t even happen.

There was one very late hit on Brady that would be called 99% of the time and another where he was thrown down, which is another automatic roughing call now. Is it a lame rule? Maybe. But it was an obvious penalty that went uncalled.

The refs let a lot go. Tons of hand checking by the dbs of both teams. Lots of incidental body contact as well. It helped lead to the low score.

Reaction Score
It was a textbook call. Easy to make and not even legitimately debatable. Helmet to helmet. Penalty. Period. Is it a dumb rule? Yes. Does it penalize some guys who tried to tackle the body but the other player went low? Yes. But that didn’t even happen.

There was one very late hit on Brady that would be called 99% of the time and another where he was thrown down, which is another automatic roughing call now. Is it a lame rule? Maybe. But it was an obvious penalty that went uncalled.

The refs let a lot go. Tons of hand checking by the dbs of both teams. Lots of incidental body contact as well. It helped lead to the low score.

Ehh. Maybe I'll be the only idiot to debate it. You are right that it may just be a currect application of a bad rule. I thought the call was for him being defenseless, not a hit to the head.

Reaction Score

I agree that the helmet to helmet was incidental. I was just answering Mau's post that you can't hit a guy until he turns around (or gathers himself for a football move).

Reaction Score

There was no helmet so not sure what you’re trying to say?

Reaction Score
You always do this.

You pick one iffy call and neglect all the others.

I mean, off the top of my head, they threw a flag on Gilmore for holding and it was clear across the field from the play and inconsequential. It was like a turnover since the Rams failed on 3rd down. It's just as iffy as any other call.

I always do this? lol funny you come up with some beauties please don’t go there upstater.

Reaction Score
There was helmet to helmet.

Only a Pats fan would say that lucky if it was even a brush of the helmets. Wow even after a W you can’t be truthful about events. It didn’t matter no one got hurt by the awful call.

Reaction Score
Only a Pats fan would say that lucky if it was even a brush of the helmets. Wow even after a W you can’t be truthful about events. It didn’t matter no one got hurt by the awful call.

It wasn't a brush of helmets, and I said above it was incidental and shouldn't have been called. Everyone saw it was helmet to helmet butyou.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
IDK, looks like helment to helmet.

Crown of the helmet is the initial point of impact on the other helmet. That’s a penalty 100% of the time under the modern rules.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
"Once the 2 goats leave"

Seriously, I've been hearing a version of this since 2007.

Wade Phillips did great. Our point is that the Patriots do not actually have a stellar offense that is very difficult to stop.

Well yeah, and they are both still there...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom