OT: Official Boneyard Super Bowl Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Official Boneyard Super Bowl Thread

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Who do you think you are @Purple Stein ??

Lol.

I ran a sim again this morning and the Rams beat the Pats 26-20 with Goff throwing for over 300 yards. Clearly there’s something wrong with our timeline.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you are an AFC east team how do you not load up on defensive lineman thru the draft and free agency.
When Brady feels pressure he is a rather ordinary quarterback who rushes his passes.

What do you think the Jets and BIlls did? Thye both had the best D line in football for a few years in the past decade. Miami tried it when they got Suh and a few others. It's not a full proof plan.

No QB likes pressure. And Brady grades out better than most against pressure statistically. (he's almost always best against the blitz).

What people see in a minority of Superbowls is 2 of the best teams going up against each other. That's why it's more difficult.

Still kills me that this 6th super bowl win doesn't happen if that chiefs idiot doesn't line up offsides on the 3rd Brady pick to seal the game. WTF

If the play was called to the letter, at worst, it would have been a replay of down.
1. There was an Olineman lined up incorrectly as well I believe
2. There was an obvious PI on Gronk(?)

And even he lined up correctly, the above would still be offsetting penalties

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not unless another Belichick/Brady combo comes along.

I think everyone realizes this. Once they are done, it's over.

Amazing stuff but have to say this one was mostly on Bill, tremendous defensive game plan. Helped that the kid crapped his pants but in his defense they came from different angles and made his life miserable. Bill schooled the rookie McVey.

Game plan was great. Bill's a master.

I'm not saying you, but to everyone saying, 'see it's all Belichick, not Brady" are out to lunch .....where was Bill last week when they need to shut down the Chiefs? And Brady balled out?

And when they needed the big drive, Brady orchestrated it.

Probably not a fun Superbowl for every non Pats fan.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Very simply folks as a patriot fan the game was a thing of beauty just like beating Butler was for us husky fans. I like other patriot fans on this thread really bask in the glow as we hear the whining and crying.

The funniest part is always.....but, but, but what if this? Or they only won because of this. All other NFL coaches are stupid. If the other team didn't commit a penalty. etc etc

When you've been to 9 friggin Superbowls, winning 6 of them....at some point....it's not luck. At some point you need to accept, OK, these guys are ridiculously good. And the only constants are Brady and Bill.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Very simply folks as a patriot fan the game was a thing of beauty just like beating Butler was for us husky fans. I like other patriot fans on this thread really bask in the glow as we hear the whining and crying.
1549299998909.png

intlzncster

Reaction Score
After some time to reflect. What a terrible game. It really makes the nonsense around the Super Bowl unbearable when the game stinks.

But did you enjoy yourself?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Really brutal from start to finish. Game, halftime show, commercials. Tony Romo's sarcasm about how bad the game was to watch was the only saving grace. It was like a competition of which QB wanted to win less.

Tony Romo just signed his Goodell ordered Code Red.

The best thing you could say about Brady is that he wasn't as bad as Goff.

And that he led a quality game winning drive at the end when they needed it

Reaction Score
I think everyone realizes this. Once they are done, it's over.

Game plan was great. Bill's a master.

I'm not saying you, but to everyone saying, 'see it's all Belichick, not Brady" are out to lunch .....where was Bill last week when they need to shut down the Chiefs? And Brady balled out?

And when they needed the big drive, Brady orchestrated it.

Probably not a fun Superbowl for every non Pats fan.

It wasn't a fun super bowl for any football fan who wasn't a Pats fan it was rather ugly. As if they knew it would be they did the same for the halftime show too this was as ugly an overall big event as ever quite honestly. Of course it's not all Bill and Brady is the GOAT, but he orchestrated 13 points not a great game like it or not, nonetheless a W and the 6th. But I will say they are now both the greatest because of each other, maybe neither is the greatest without the other. I do believe that too.

Reaction Score

The ones who have a problem with the Patriots must heed the words of the great philosopher Lou Holtz:
"Don't tell your problems to people: eighty percent don't care; and the other twenty percent are glad you have them."

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It wasn't a fun super bowl for any football fan who wasn't a Pats fan it was rather ugly. As if they knew it would be they did the same for the halftime show too this was as ugly an overall big event as ever quite honestly.

I've no doubt most feel that way. The same thing happened to UCONN when they beat Butler to win it. A game I enjoyed but all of MCBB hated. [EDIT: I see @donyell34 already used that ref. hat tip]

It was only exciting for Pats/Rams fans because it was so freakin tense. The offensive game play was boring. But I do enjoy watching good D too I'll admit.

Of course it's not all Bill and Brady is the GOAT, but he orchestrated 13 points not a great game like it or not, nonetheless a W and the 6th.

Brady did not have a good game (even more so when compared to his masterpiece in the AFC Championship). Hard to argue otherwise. A lot of credit must be given to that ridiculous Rams D line. Suh and Donald are not human beings.

But what I do respect about his play is that, after stinking most of the game, he rose up in the biggest moment of the game and lead that nice drive, culminating in the offensive play of the game on that long touch pass to Gronk up the seam. That kind of mental toughness, especially in crunch time, is what it's all about.

You saw the opposite from Brees two weeks ago.

But I will say they are now both the greatest because of each other, maybe neither is the greatest without the other. I do believe that too.

I've always been on that train. But you can say the same about most great QBs. The #2 on my GOAT depth chart (Joe Montana) had the great Bill Walsh, who only revolutionized the game of football.

Reaction Score
I've no doubt most feel that way. The same thing happened to UCONN when they beat Butler to win it. A game I enjoyed but all of MCBB hated. [EDIT: I see @donyell34 already used that ref. hat tip]

It was only exciting for Pats/Rams fans because it was so freakin tense. The offensive game play was boring. But I do enjoy watching good D too I'll admit.

Brady did not have a good game (even more so when compared to his masterpiece in the AFC Championship). Hard to argue otherwise. A lot of credit must be given to that ridiculous Rams D line. Suh and Donald are not human beings.

But what I do respect about his play is that, after stinking most of the game, he rose up in the biggest moment of the game and lead that nice drive, culminating in the offensive play of the game on that long touch pass to Gronk up the seam. That kind of mental toughness, especially in crunch time, is what it's all about.

You saw the opposite from Brees two weeks ago.

I've always been on that train. But you can say the same about most great QBs. The #2 on my GOAT depth chart (Joe Montana) had the great Bill Walsh, who only revolutionized the game of football.

I agree with all but the Butler game. Thought even as a UConn fan it was an awful game not even pretty in any respect but ultimately the NC. Butler was like Goff and never really in it later on and we were worst than the Pats but lucky to get away with one. Didn't enjoy it much at all except the final score, call me spoiled if you wish lol.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
all this talk yet no gamelove for hightower? of course, tom terrific and billy no-sleeves (clearly, 'GOAT'S) always are innit, but ht and the pats d, uh, well, 'momma said knock u out,' and they did.
3 measly ram points, in the super bowl. the team that scored 527 regular season points (#2 of 32), 3 points. imagine that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get why people thought it was boring and I did too but I actually do enjoy lower scoring games then high scoring games, last years Super Bowl felt like a basketball game.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a fun super bowl for any football fan who wasn't a Pats fan it was rather ugly. As if they knew it would be they did the same for the halftime show too this was as ugly an overall big event as ever quite honestly. Of course it's not all Bill and Brady is the GOAT, but he orchestrated 13 points not a great game like it or not, nonetheless a W and the 6th. But I will say they are now both the greatest because of each other, maybe neither is the greatest without the other. I do believe that too.

This Patriot team was very limited. The Chargers and Chiefs were brainless not to see that. I'm not crediting either Wade Phillips or even Belichick too much for what we saw happen yesterday, because the reality was obvious, and even though everyone is saying it today ("No one expected this") a lot of people did.

The Patriots had Julian Edelman to throw to and not much else. The Chargers and Chiefs were brainless. Wade Phillips knew the obvious, how to limit Brady and the one weapon they had.

As for Belichick, Goff's rating this year against the zone was 50.1%. He was abysmally bad. Several NFC coaches knew this, and went heavy zone, and the Rams O sputtered. No way that info was lost on Belichick as he's incredibly smart.

But both Belichick and Phillips just did the obvious. The Patriots were limited offensively. The Rams were totally inept against the zone. In that light, the result is not surprising. What was surprising is the playoff games that preceded all this.

Reaction Score
I agree with all but the Butler game. Thought even as a UConn fan it was an awful game not even pretty in any respect but ultimately the NC. Butler was like Goff and never really in it later on and we were worst than the Pats but lucky to get away with one. Didn't enjoy it much at all except the final score, call me spoiled if you wish lol.

I wish people went back to look at the Butler game to realize that UConn benched all its starters for foul trouble for much of the final 10 minutes of the first half, which explains UConn's abysmal performance. But UConn shot 50% in the second half if you eliminate the final minute when they bad shots late in the shot clock to kill time.

In other words, UConn was really good in the second half.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If you are an AFC east team how do you not load up on defensive lineman thru the draft and free agency.
When Brady feels pressure he is a rather ordinary quarterback who rushes his passes.
Still kills me that this 6th super bowl win doesnt happen if that chiefs idiot doesnt line up offsides on the 3rd Brady pick to seal the game. WTF

No one brings up that the Pats had the game won in regulation when they recovered a Chief's fumble on that game-tying drive. EXCEPT the Pats committed a penalty on the play and negated the fumble. But everyone has a for Mahomes that all the focus is on him ALMOST going to the SB.

Reaction Score

So about this narrative on the board...

Yes, he wasn't really rushed. I think people thought that because of the INT and because of the strip sack. The reality is that Phillips knew the Patriots were relying on a timing offense late in the year so that they would avoid pressure from the Chargers (Ingram, Bosa) and Chiefs (Ford, etc.). So he jammed the RBs coming out of the backfield. Brady flubbed it first half because he was still in quick release mode, or "safe mode" as I call it. He had plenty of time to look downfield and make better plays, but he didn't. I think the first INT spooked him, and it was such a tight game. Plus, Hogan and Dorsett were totally shut out by Talib and Peters.

Reaction Score
No one brings up that the Pats had the game won in regulation when they recovered a Chief's fumble on that game-tying drive. EXCEPT the Pats committed a penalty on the play and negated the fumble. But everyone has a for Mahomes that all the focus is on him ALMOST going to the SB.

I don't think the winners ever really harp on the calls. Just like this morning there's a complaint about the phantom hold that doomed a Rams drive, a hold that had no impact on the play. But no one remembers the iffy Gilmore hold across the field that gave the Rams a new set of downs after they went 3 and out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish people went back to look at the Butler game to realize that UConn benched all its starters for foul trouble for much of the final 10 minutes of the first half, which explains UConn's abysmal performance. But UConn shot 50% in the second half if you eliminate the final minute when they bad shots late in the shot clock to kill time.

In other words, UConn was really good in the second half.

They were ok, not very good. For the most part would've been beaten by every other team they faced in the tourney and fairly easily. But this night it was Butler who was in that same bad zone of basketball thank God.

Reaction Score
Tony Romo just signed his Goodell ordered Code Red.

And that he led a quality game winning drive at the end when they needed it
Fair, that was a beautiful throw to Gronk. Not related, but assuming Gronk retires (and it sure does sound like he will), going to be very interesting to see this Pats team in 2019. Gronk did a ton to keep Brady upright this year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Needed that call on the DB who took Cooks left arm away on the throw which would've been a TD. Stripes missed a big one. Go figure.

Another one for the GOAT. Belechick schooled the rookie.

Come on. Do you even try to be impartial? There were two obvious roughing the passer calls on hits to Brady that went uncalled. The refs let both teams play on the defensive end. They both played by 1970's rules. Why? I have no idea unless the NFL decided to cover up their egregious no-call that cost the Saints a Super Bowl by not calling anything all game.

Reaction Score
I get why people thought it was boring and I did too but I actually do enjoy lower scoring games then high scoring games, last year's Super Bowl felt like a basketball game.
I'm okay with lower scoring games, but this seemed to be bad offense more than great defense. The Pats weren't exactly sending the most exotic blitz packages and were just sprinting straight through the Rams line constantly, and when they weren't, Goff was missing targets by a mile. With the exception of the winning drive from Brady, it was generally the same there. His timing and/or accuracy was off on way more throws than you'd normally see from him and it wasn't necessarily because they were in his face all game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom