OT: Official Boneyard Super Bowl Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Official Boneyard Super Bowl Thread

Reaction Score
I am confused by the mentioning of Fairfield Prep in here. One thing is not like the others
Personal; my alma mater. UConn is also my alma mater. UConn just attracts way more spectators.

Prep has the most hockey championships, at least. Championship games tend to sell out at Ingalls Rink in New Haven.

Reaction Score
I knew Gurley and Goff being in a Pizza Hut commercial and Drake wearing Rams gear was a bad sign for them lol.

Reaction Score
If you are an AFC east team how do you not load up on defensive lineman thru the draft and free agency.
When Brady feels pressure he is a rather ordinary quarterback who rushes his passes.
Still kills me that this 6th super bowl win doesnt happen if that chiefs idiot doesnt line up offsides on the 3rd Brady pick to seal the game. WTF

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Don’t know if anyone is watching, But Dan Orlovsky is doing a great job breaking down the game on ESPN this morning.

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder what Drew Brees could have done in that moment with Brady having the poor game he had
The Rams' defense factors into Brady's performance. Patriots did better game planning and execution, overall.

Gronk might be back next season.

Reaction Score
McCourty was the real hero! That play in the end zone where he came out of nowhere to knock that TD away was miraculous. Another DB saves the Pats in a Super Bowl.

1549288054477.png

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How many more are the Patriots going to win?

I think I gave up rooting against them after 28-3. I mean, don't get me wrong, I hope they lose, but sometimes you just have to sit back and admire greatness. This run will never be duplicated ever again.

Reaction Score
Just need 1 more over the next 3 years. And Brady is finally done!

Reaction Score

I think I gave up rooting against them after 28-3. I mean, don't get me wrong, I hope they lose, but sometimes you just have to sit back and admire greatness. This run will never be duplicated ever again.

Not unless another Belichick/Brady combo comes along. Amazing stuff but have to say this one was mostly on Bill, tremendous defensive game plan. Helped that the kid crapped his pants but in his defense they came from different angles and made his life miserable. Bill schooled the rookie McVey.

Reaction Score

I would say the Pats have already won it next year.

Reaction Score
Just need 1 more over the next 3 years. And Brady is finally done!

Why would Brady ever retire might as well play till your dead, see if the NFL can stop a 60 year old Brady from winning another Super Bowl.

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder what Drew Brees could have done in that moment with Brady having the poor game he had
If he hadn’t puked on himself with that terrible INT in overtime, we would’ve had a the chance to find out.

(Admittedly as Pats fan, the Saints scared me way more than the Rams.)

Reaction Score
Were there even any Rams fans there, do they even have any fans.

Reaction Score
After some time to reflect. What a terrible game. It really makes the nonsense around the Super Bowl unbearable when the game stinks.
Really brutal from start to finish. Game, halftime show, commercials. Tony Romo's sarcasm about how bad the game was to watch was the only saving grace. It was like a competition of which QB wanted to win less. Goff was probably the worst QB performance I've ever witnessed in a superbowl (acknowledging that on 60% of plays his O-line just let the Pats sprint through untouched). The best thing you could say about Brady is that he wasn't as bad as Goff.

Reaction Score
If you are an AFC east team how do you not load up on defensive lineman thru the draft and free agency.
When Brady feels pressure he is a rather ordinary quarterback who rushes his passes.
Still kills me that this 6th super bowl win doesnt happen if that chiefs idiot doesnt line up offsides on the 3rd Brady pick to seal the game. WTF

Until this year Brady was by far the best QB in the league when blitzed. I think almost all QBs are ordinary if they feel rushed, Brady as well. Not sure who stands in against the rush. No one probably.

Reaction Score
If he hadn’t puked on himself with that terrible INT in overtime, we would’ve had a the chance to find out.

(Admittedly as Pats fan, the Saints scared me way more than the Rams.)

Yeah they would've had more weapons on O but doubt the D and pressure would've been the same, which was the only reason the Rams were in it. Brady had a bad game but would he have been the same vs the Saints D? We know Brees would've been better than the God awful Goff but doubt the outcome would've changed but we'll never know.

Reaction Score
A few of my takes on what allowed the Patriots D to be so successful, plus my contrarian take on a few other issues discussed this morning.

1. I read the stat last week that the Rams and Goff were absolutely abysmal this year against zone defenses. Like, PUTRID. Give Belichick all the credit for knowing that, but essentially he saw what several coaches saw. The Rams were solved this year when teams like Chicago and Detroit went total zone. Horrible against the zone. Belichick deserves the credit for knowing this, more than the actual players. He is incredibly smart and a great preparer so I wouldn't expect anything less than him knowing the Rams' achilles heel.

2. Jared Goff can't read a zone defense. This is a credit to the Patriot coaches. But it is also really down to the fact that Goff is young and got solved. The NFL solves you--they figure you out. Next year the Rams are going to suffer--they will be exploited, until Goff figures out what to do against zones. This is a testament to QBs like Brady and Manning and the like who consistently, year-after-year, find ways to play well and win--against ALL defenses. They do get solved, but then they have a second act, and a third, and a fourth. Does Goff? There are a good many QBs who whip through this league for one season, then they get solved, and they don't have a second act. The names are endless.

3. Tony Romo was absolutely right that the Rams had no business being in the game at all. Brady's INT, Gost's missed FG, the two near INTs Goff threw (one tipped by Simon, Hightower drop). I would tend to say the Rams lost the game more than the Patriots won it. That was some big league ineptitude out there. I was much more worried about the Rams because of their D-line than the Saints, but in retrospect, the Saints would have been bigger threats.

4. I get why people want to give the MVP to Gilmore or Hightower. Personally, I thought the D-line was even better than Gilmore. Hightower's pass rush maybe deserved it. BUT, I do think much of this success was due to Goff's ineptitude. He doesn't know what to do against zones. He drops way back. Deer in the headlights. I don't want to take anything away from Gilmore's play BUT--if I were told that any of the Patriots would miss the Super Bowl before it was played even, I would say first, "I hope it's not Brady." My second? Edelman. I don't know who of the Patriots receivers could do anything out there other than Edelman. In other words, the Patriots don't hold onto the ball, T.O.P., without Edelman. He was otherworldly out there. He put the DBs on skates with his nifty cat-like moves, he was like Kemba Walker doing a step back out there. I get why Edelman's short passes that he turns into 15 yard gains aren't sexy compared to the work of the D. BUT--did you see his moves? He has an incredible skill in his arsenal. I think he's unguardable. Without him, the Patriots are a popgun offense. Losing Gilmore would hurt badly, but I sit Gilmore before Edelman. Edelman played lights out, and he is more valuable. Say JC Jackson replaces Gilmore against Brandin Cooks and he gives up 2 big pass plays for 60 yards. Say that gives the Rams an extra TD. So the final score is 13-10. BUT--how much do the Patriots score without Edelman?

Edelman is my MVP.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, those stung. Still do.

Look at the bright side, they ended up believing their own hype and have ridden Eli right into the crapper ever since.

But something about subsequent titles removes the sting. Bucky who? And that Laettner dude cracks me up.

Reaction Score
McCourty was the real hero! That play in the end zone where he came out of nowhere to knock that TD away was miraculous. Another DB saves the Pats in a Super Bowl.

View attachment 39113

This was mostly on Goff. He lacked anticipation and then threw a total duck when he finally did get it off. This was a play he just has to make.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom