OT: Masters | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I saw Jack late in his career wasn't watching golf unless dad was watching Arnie so while I saw jack still very competitive I didn't really see the dominance. He and Tiger are on the top though by all accounts.

18 Majors
19 Seconds
9 Thirds

Started his career during Palmer's and Player's prime, continued during Watson, Miller, Floyd and Trevino's prime and finished up during Seve's prime.

Which is where I think Jack really separates from Tiger. You rank the top 7 players that Jack had to tee up against- Palmer, Player, Trevino, Watson, Seve, Floyd and Miller and compare that to Tiger's peers. Only Phil could conceivably break in to the listed group.

Fields today are deeper than when Jack played, but Jack had a more top heavy competition.

Which is where Day, Spieth or McIlroy can become legends. All of those three will compete against each other in their primes along with a secondary cast of high level players in their prime- DJ, Scott, Fowler, Watson, etc.

Unfortunately for Tiger only Phil rose to challenge him. Sergio never materialized, Ernie wasn't consistent enough and so on. Every great protagonist needs an antagonist.

Reaction Score
What made Jack so great was how long he played at a high level. Arnie at his peak was every bit as good as Jack, but his peak was about a decade, while Jack's was more than double that. I think Tiger's peak was probably higher than Jack's, but while he stayed on top longer than Palmer, he still fell off far earlier than Jack did. If Tiger had stayed at that level until ago 40, he'd likely have about 22 majors. Jack was elite at 22, and stayed there into his late 40s, and this is a guy who wasn't really in top shape early on.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
18 Majors
19 Seconds
9 Thirds

Might as well include the rest because it's mind boggling:

He also placed third nine times and fourth seven times in this span and was one stroke out of a playoff on five of those occasions (1963 Open Championship, 1967 PGA Championship, 1975 Open Championship, 1977 PGA Championship, and 1979 Masters Tournament). His total span of 73 top-10 finishes over 39 years (1960–1998) is a record in total number as well as longevity among the four major championships and encompassed his tenure from an amateur through the majority of his Champions Tour career.

Won first Major at 22. Won the Masters at **king 46.

Absurd.

List of career achievements by Jack Nicklaus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction Score
Might as well include the rest because it's mind boggling:

He also placed third nine times and fourth seven times in this span and was one stroke out of a playoff on five of those occasions (1963 Open Championship, 1967 PGA Championship, 1975 Open Championship, 1977 PGA Championship, and 1979 Masters Tournament). His total span of 73 top-10 finishes over 39 years (1960–1998) is a record in total number as well as longevity among the four major championships and encompassed his tenure from an amateur through the majority of his Champions Tour career.

Won first Major at 22. Won the Masters at **king 46.

Absurd.

List of career achievements by Jack Nicklaus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And the ultimate class act.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
One thing I don't understand about Spieth is how much shorter he hits the ball than some others in golf. Rory is much longer but he's only 5'9" 161lbs. Day is way longer and is 6' 165lbs. Jordon is 6'1" 185. Why is he 20 to 25 yards shorter on driving distance? He should be at least as long as those guys and hitting two clubs less than he is from any given distance. That's about 4 clubs less he should be hitting (2 for the extra 20 on the drive, 2 for the extra distance he should have with irons) on any given par 4 approach. 4 clubs is enormous. There's just so much more control and accuracy with a 9 iron as opposed to a 5 iron on an approach shot.

Can anyone shed any light on that?

Reaction Score
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/brandel-chamblee/tiger-vs-jack-head-head-majors/

Good read.

I'll take Tiger by a little. Think because golf is such a week to week thing for these guys as far as who has it, depth is huge in the game and there was none at all in the 60's-70's after that great top tier. Other people can win too.

He won his 14th at 32, Jack at 35. If he stayed healthy (and stayed home lol) he would've killed it and would still be winning. But we all know about "ifs" so you're argument wins without using it.

2 great great golfers, love watching ''86" whenever it comes on now.

Reaction Score
One thing I don't understand about Spieth is how much shorter he hits the ball than some others in golf. Rory is much longer but he's only 5'9" 161lbs. Day is way longer and is 6' 165lbs. Jordon is 6'1" 185. Why is he 20 to 25 yards shorter on driving distance? He should be at least as long as those guys and hitting two clubs less than he is from any given distance. That's about 4 clubs less he should be hitting (2 for the extra 20 on the drive, 2 for the extra distance he should have with irons) on any given par 4 approach. 4 clubs is enormous. There's just so much more control and accuracy with a 9 iron as opposed to a 5 iron on an approach shot.

Swing speed - doesn't have their jets yet but I am sure at 22 he will work on it and can. I heard something this weekend and don't quote me, but there are 3-5 guys now with swing speeds over 125 with the driver now and there were none in the 90's and early 2000's? Not sure exactly but the athletes are better, stronger and the technology is crazy. Having said that it's only fair they are playing courses much longer than back on the day to keep them grounded a little. Imagine, almost 7500 at Augusta and they're thinking of lengthning a "few holes"? Jordan better work on the strength and speed.

Reaction Score
Swing speed - doesn't have their jets yet but I am sure at 22 he will work on it and can. I heard something this weekend and don't quote me, but there are 3-5 guys now with swing speeds over 125 with the driver now and there were none in the 90's and early 2000's? Not sure exactly but the athletes are better, stronger and the technology is crazy. Having said that it's only fair they are playing courses much longer than back on the day to keep them grounded a little. Imagine, almost 7500 at Augusta and they're thinking of lengthning a "few holes"? Jordan better work on the strength and speed.
Length isn't everything, but it sure makes up for a lot of other areas that need help. The key is putting though, and Speith has that skill in spades.

Reaction Score
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/brandel-chamblee/tiger-vs-jack-head-head-majors/

Good read.

I'll take Tiger by a little. Think because golf is such a week to week thing for these guys as far as who has it, depth is huge in the game and there was none at all in the 60's-70's after that great top tier. Other people can win too.

He won his 14th at 32, Jack at 35. If he stayed healthy (and stayed home lol) he would've killed it and would still be winning. But we all know about "ifs" so you're argument wins without using it.

2 great great golfers, love watching ''86" whenever it comes on now.

Jack competed against more great players, but there was far more depth in Tiger's age. Tough call.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

It's who can generate the fastest club head speed. Which is hips, weight, swing length, etc etc. Ian Woosnam was 5'4 and could crush it back in the day. He's 57, still 5'4, and hits it 275.

How He Hit That: Ian Woosnam's little-man power - Golf Digest

Reaction Score
Jack competed against more great players, but there was far more depth in Tiger's age. Tough call.

Jack's was top heavy no doubt, lots of people just playing for checks down the line back then. Tiger's depth was better and there were more people who could win on a given weekend. Now the depth is incredible but there is no Jack or Tiger so for them, that's a good thing right?

Reaction Score
There were some other really good players during Tiger's prime besides Phil.... Goosen, Els, Vijay to name a few. It's just that Tiger did most of the winning and like a lot of previously said, there was a lot more depth in the fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom