OT: Masters | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Is this where Nantz picks one of the players to give his special tie to?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think pairings today had a huge effect on the outcomes. So easy to play down to a bad level.

I was texting back and forth with a few friends and that point was brought up. You get in to a groove with your partner even though you are competing against the rest of the field.

Especially on the back 9 of Augusta when the flags are flat (no wind). You know groups ahead of you are making numbers. Having a dud of a partner puts it all on your shoulders. He let his concentration lapse (much like Rory 3-4 years ago) for 30 minutes. 3 holes and +6 later, it was damage control.

Reaction Score
I was texting back and forth with a few friends and that point was brought up. You get in to a groove with your partner even though you are competing against the rest of the field.

Especially on the back 9 of Augusta when the flags are flat (no wind). You know groups ahead of you are making numbers. Having a dud of a partner puts it all on your shoulders. He let his concentration lapse (much like Rory 3-4 years ago) for 30 minutes. 3 holes and +6 later, it was damage control.

You correctly called Day's day, being paired with DJ. Never got anything going.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You correctly called Day's day, being paired with DJ. Never got anything going.

Day needed to pull that group. If Day had shot 67-68, DJ would have gone low too. DJ has the million dollar arm and the 5 cent brain. You knew those eagle putts on #8 and #15 never had a chance. That's why I still respect what he did last year at the US Open. He played to win. Sure, it bit him in the arse, but he went for it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Day needed to pull that group. If Day had shot 67-68, DJ would have gone low too. DJ has the million dollar arm and the 5 cent brain. You knew those eagle putts on #8 and #15 never had a chance. That's why I still respect what he did last year at the US Open. He played to win. Sure, it bit him in the arse, but he went for it.
If DJ could putt 75 to 80% as well as Spieth, he would have had a shot at Tiger like numbers in majors.

Bottom line is you just can't blow 5 shot leads on the back nine of a major.

Reaction Score
Agree, I'd love to see stats on DJ's putts outside of 10 feet. The 4 putt on 5 and so many missed opportunities. I think Faldo said he was the best player outside of putting. The US Open is @ Oakmont, maybe the hardest course in any championship rotation. I can't see DJ being a factor there.

If DJ could putt 75 to 80% as well as Spieth, he would have had a shot at Tiger like numbers in majors.

Bottom line is you just can't blow 5 shot leads on the back nine of a major.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Agree, I'd love to see stats on DJ's putts outside of 10 feet. The 4 putt on 5 and so many missed opportunities. I think Faldo said he was the best player outside of putting. The US Open is @ Oakmont, maybe the hardest course in any championship rotation. I can't see DJ being a factor there.

A friend said he's Tiger Woods with Sergio Garcia's putter.

Reaction Score
The wheels completely came off.
He actually didn't strike the ball very well Saturday an Sunday. He was able to recover Saturday. Spieth is going to go on after the Masters debacle and become the leading money winner. Norman calling anyone choker has some merit. Norman has plenty of experience.

Reaction Score
He actually didn't strike the ball very well Saturday an Sunday. He was able to recover Saturday. Spieth is going to go on after the Masters debacle and become the leading money winner. Norman calling anyone choker has some merit. Norman has plenty of experience.

He was having trouble with his game both days as you say which tells you tough minded he is, the kids a competitor. Long way to go before we know what his career will belike, but he just has too much not to always be challenging. Greg needs to think before he speaks because we know he didn't like anyone calling him a gag.

Reaction Score
He was having trouble with his game both days as you say which tells you tough minded he is, the kids a competitor. Long way to go before we know what his career will belike, but he just has too much not to always be challenging. Greg needs to think before he speaks because we know he didn't like anyone calling him a gag.
Norman didn't actually call Spieth a choker, guy in the thread was making a joke.

Reaction Score
Ok but most importantly can we all just stop with any of these new young guns being the "next Tiger" though. None are close and all they do is continue to prove it.

Reaction Score
Ok but most importantly can we all just stop with any of these new young guns being the "next Tiger" though. None are close and all they do is continue to prove it.

Have to disagree. Spieth is real close.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree. Spieth is real close.

Yeah he's 22 and has 13 missed cuts already. Tiger had 8 through just under 300 events and he only played in the hardest of fields for the most part.

Sorry but it's only close to people who want it to be. Respect your opinion I do, but none of these guys are close and if any were I still think Day may separate himself from the others at some point but not for now.

Reaction Score
Yeah he's 22 and has 13 missed cuts already. Tiger had 8 through just under 300 events and he only played in the hardest of fields for the most part.

Sorry but it's only close to people who want it to be. Respect your opinion I do, but none of these guys are close and if any were I still think Day may separate himself from the others at some point but not for now.

The tour was Charmin soft from '98-'02, so cuts missed is a lousy comparison. The difference between Tiger and Speith is that, much like comparing UConn to Syracuse, when Tiger got there he finished. This is not the first time that Speith has given away a tournament.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The tour was Charmin soft from '98-'02, so cuts missed is a lousy comparison. The difference between Tiger and Speith is that, much like comparing UConn to Syracuse, when Tiger got there he finished. This is not the first time that Speith has given away a tournament.

I don't think Spieth is Tiger II, but I don't think anyone could be Tiger at this point in time. The reason is, of course, Tiger. He changed the game. Look at how much McIlroy has changed physically since he broke on tour. Look at Day, DJ etc. The caliber of competition is up and athleticism as well.

Reaction Score

Ex it can be as soft or hard a field as you wish it to be but Tiger didn't play in any of the events with "weak" fields only top players, hardest courses. These guys don't pick and choose as much and play a lot more for the most part, especially Speith. Anyway the "cut" is a number it's not who's playing right? Does it really matter whether it's Rory at -12 in 2015 or Hal Sutton at -10 in 1999? They all want to play the weekend and to be that good that you hardly ever go home until Sunday night is impressive no matter whether it's Charmin or Handi-wipes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ex it can be as soft or hard a field as you wish it to be but Tiger didn't play in any of the events with "weak" fields only top players, hardest courses. These guys don't pick and choose as much and play a lot more for the most part, especially Speith. Anyway the "cut" is a number it's not who's playing right? Does it really matter whether it's Rory at -12 in 2015 or Hal Sutton at -10 in 1999? They all want to play the weekend and to be that good that you hardly ever go home until Sunday night is impressive no matter whether it's Charmin or Handi-wipes.
Tiger stayed away from Harbor Town and other courses that didn't match his game. But on all other points I agree with you.

Reaction Score
Because they don't know Jack?

I saw Jack late in his career wasn't watching golf unless dad was watching Arnie so while I saw jack still very competitive I didn't really see the dominance. He and Tiger are on the top though by all accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom