OT: Lets talk a real condiment: Mustard | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Lets talk a real condiment: Mustard

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Gulden’s Spicy Brown is #1 for almost anything.

Beer $ Brat as a decent deli style.

Honey mustard only as an ingredient in a marinade I make for salmon.

Yellow mustard if stranded on a desert island with only yellow mustard to eat.

I’ll defend ketchup on burgers and fries to the death. But when a friend of mine put ketchup on a hot dog, and another, Aunt Jemina forgive him, on pancakes, I thought I was in the middle of a terrible nightmare.

Reaction Score
Three simple rules:
1. Always use blackies mustard on Burgers, dogs and sandwiches ( if I have it ) else Guldens Spicy Brown
2. Kosciusko on Kielbasa, always
3. Never yellow

That is pretty much it.

The drop off after Guldens is severe. The worst thing the Fenway Group ever did was not letting Theo go - it was replacing Gulden's Spicy Brown with Gold's Spicy Brown.

Reaction Score
Ranch has its place. Its a decent raw vegetable dip. A passable if pedestrian chip dip. It is the co-opting of it as the nations 2nd ketchup that gets my scorn.

Ranch is unquestionably the most universal condiment there is. The number of items you can effectively use it on dwarfs ketchup and mustard combined.

Reaction Score
OK we got through the hot dog portion with not much insanity.

Lets shift to honey mustards. Honey mustards are polarizing. I like good honey mustard as an all purpose dipping sauce (pretzels, chicken tenders what not) to me it has a much better usefulness than Ranch dressing. Which seems to attract the class of people Ketchup does.

But the thing with Honey Mustards is that they are all over the friggin map. Some have no sweetness, some are cloying to the point of vomit.

What are your favorite honey mustards?
Ranch dressing sucks. A salad without Italian dressing isn't worth eating, although I've had some decent vinegarettes.

Reaction Score
Ranch dressing sucks. A salad without Italian dressing isn't worth eating, although I've had some decent vinegarettes.

As a condiment? It’s untouchable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
French's yellow mustard for all my mustard uses.

Occasionally if I'm feeling like a pretencious I'll go with Gulden's brown mustard.

Reaction Score
Horseradish flys under the radar, nice with kielbasa. Mustard "ol standby " and always works for me. Fridge only has brown spicy so now I have to go spend money on all these different types. Thanks August

Reaction Score
Horseradish flys under the radar, nice with kielbasa. Mustard "ol standby " and always works for me. Fridge only has brown spicy so now I have to go spend money on all these different types. Thanks August
Horseradish is awesome but on it's own it can be overpowering on many things, especially if you like to get your slather on. On a rare roast beef sandwich it's nirvana. Always has to be pure horseradish, none of that horseradish sauce stuff.

Reaction Score
Amana German style and hot mustards. Dijon as an emulsifier in the salad dressings. Try a dollop of horseradish in your coleslaw.

Reaction Score
Ranch is far more intolerable than ketchup.

Ketchup has no place on tubular meats.

Mustard is by far the best and most versatile condiment.

I love mustard and have long sung it's praises amongst my friends, right @Robertelamin?

Reaction Score
Hot dog usage: Gulden's Spicy Brown with relish/raw onions.

French's yellow with beanless chili/meat sauce and raw onions.

Pro tip: French's yellow as a dipping condiment with french fries. Better than you would think.
Don't even consider French's yellow actual mustard. You have grounds for a law suit against your parents.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Don't even consider French's yellow actual mustard. You have grounds for a law suit against your parents.
No, I have a very limited purpose in which it works. Only on chili dogs for some reason. The french fry thing somebody told me about years ago, it does work but not something I usually do.

That's why I don't get Heinz yellow. Leave something for the French's brand. Who needs two of them?

Reaction Score
I feel like Guldens flavor changed slightly in the early 2000's. It's obviously not the turmeric but maybe when ConAgra bought them and relocated the operation the sterile environment may have killed some of the old soul?

Maille makes some decent mustards. They have an old style that is all seed and would make a yellow mustard user's head explode.

Reaction Score
Spicy mustard on a pastrami and Swiss.
Good pastrami shouldn't have anything other than spicy mustard on it. If you want swiss on it you ditch the spicy mustard and make it a Reuben style sandwich (a Rachel.)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Add a bit of pesto to mayonnaise the next time you make a turkey club.

You'll thank me
Don't ruin pesto by adding it to the stale egg product known as mayonnaise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom