OT: Lets talk a real condiment: Mustard | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Lets talk a real condiment: Mustard

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
As for ketchup, I'm now a mayo convert on burgers and even fries - TJ's mayo is the go-to. I really never cared for mayo before trying TJ's, which IMO, is pretty close to the taste of fresh made you get with frites at our local Belgian mussel places around here.

I have a Dutch buddy who keeps a full-sized jar of fritessauce in his refridgerator. I don't think I can ever go back now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are no fewer than 5 mustards in my refrigerator.

Yellow - hot dogs only.
Brown- universal/tailgate size
Dijon - Red lunch meats
Honey - Turkey or pretzels
Bookbinders "hot" Horseradish mustard- for real men.

Reaction Score
Which pretty much exactly like BaTampte

and by the way this aint fru fru gourmet or some type of hipster mustard. BaTampte is cheap, dirt cheap like 2 bucks for a 16 oz jar.
Katz's also has the best hot dogs anywhere, most people never try them because they also have the best pastrami anywhere.

Reaction Score
Grey poupon is useful as a slather mixed with olive oil on grilled meats and fish. I also use it spread on the bread of a basic tuna sandwich, stole that from Panera.
Grey poupon like all Dijon's can be a great ingredient in cooking but left on it's own on a dog or pretty much anything it will overpower it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
OK we got through the hot dog portion with not much insanity.

Lets shift to honey mustards. Honey mustards are polarizing. I like good honey mustard as an all purpose dipping sauce (pretzels, chicken tenders what not) to me it has a much better usefulness than Ranch dressing. Which seems to attract the class of people Ketchup does.

But the thing with Honey Mustards is that they are all over the friggin map. Some have no sweetness, some are cloying to the point of vomit.

What are your favorite honey mustards?

August_West

Reaction Score
Katz's also has the best hot dogs anywhere, most people never try them because they also have the best pastrami anywhere.

Not me. Pro move. Both. Order a hot dog and eat it at the counter while waiting for your Pastrami to be carved.

Also if anyone opts for table service at Katzs you deserve to be smacked on the side if the head with a 3 lb loaf of Ira Pechters seeded rye

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Publix Deli with Horseradish for my hotdogs!

I keep Heinz Yellow in the refrigerator. Anyone who drops by unexpectedly and stays for dinner gets dogs and yellow mustard. I'm sending a message.

I was a poor eater as a kid. I used to add a little bit of dog to my mustard, ketchup, mayo and relish buns. The dogs rarely were eaten. And dogs were a treat compared to hamburgers. Yuck. Spicy chili - foget about it!

I can't believe that kid was me.

Reaction Score

Lets shift to honey mustards. Honey mustards are polarizing. I like good honey mustard as an all purpose dipping sauce (pretzels, chicken tenders what not) to me it has a much better usefulness than Ranch dressing. Which seems to attract the class of people Ketchup does.

But the thing with Honey Mustards is that they are all over the friggin map. Some have no sweetness, some are cloying to the point of vomit.

I like honey mustard, always works well with chicken. I once basically broke up with a girl in a ranch vs. blue cheese for wings debate years ago. Ranch is for hilljacks, some of those freaks put it on pizza.

Guarantee Rich loves ranch.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I went to HHI for the first time in 1991. Walking along the shops at Forest Beach my wife and I came upon Wild Wings Restaurant. They made a lot of different sauces for those wings. Our favorite by far were the honey mustard wings.

August_West

Reaction Score
I like honey mustard, always works well with chicken. I once basically broke up with a girl in a ranch vs. blue cheese for wings debate years ago. Ranch is for hilljacks, some of those freaks put it on pizza.

QAxf4JK.jpg

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

You're all gonna clobber me for this, but homemade ranch can be decent at times. I'm talking chives fresh out of the garden here.

August_West

Reaction Score
You're all gonna clobber me for this, but homemade ranch can be decent at times. I'm talking chives fresh out of the garden here.

Ranch has its place. Its a decent raw vegetable dip. A passable if pedestrian chip dip. It is the co-opting of it as the nations 2nd ketchup that gets my scorn.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I actually like Emeril's but the answer is whatever they serve at Brueggers' Bagels. As a rule it should be a bit darker in color than you might think.

Reaction Score
Guessing that's Rich in the corner.

Sure, a freshly prepared ranch is probably pretty good but after eating the prepackaged cr@p through college and after, the stuff started to taste like vomit.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
They have honey mustard. Not sure about regular yellow mustard

I have in my fridge colmans, guldens spicy brown, maille mustard w/ Chablis white wine and black truffle (absolutely delicious but very strong/over powering if use too much), maille original Dijon w/ white wine, and mister mustard original hot

WHERE IS THIS MYSTICAL UNICORN? I must have this!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom