OT: Lets talk a real condiment: Mustard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Lets talk a real condiment: Mustard

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
only because it will tick you off...

upload_2017-10-18_13-35-43.jpeg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Stew Leonards makes a great deli mustard.

Deli mustard and Spicy Brown are kissing cousins actually maybe kissing sisters. Some may say the same but I think there are a couple ever so slight differences (there are no problems subbing one for the other)

Its just a tad more kick than the good spicy browns, and the texture is a bit different.

And that leads us to this.

THIS is what I put on my hotdogs (and Pastrami and Corned Beef)

0031277_ba-tampte-deli-mustard.jpeg

^^ This is what you are getting at the famous NY delis (or the exact appoximation)

Reaction Score
I use horse radish. Is that considered a form of mustard?? I don't know, but I use it with kraut, chili, relish and chopped onion.

Plochman's makes a spicy horseradish mustard w/ a decent kick. Goes good w/ brats.

Reaction Score

Deli mustard and Spicy Brown are kissing cousins actually maybe kissing sisters. Some may say the same but I think there are a couple ever so slight differences (there are no problems subbing one for the other)

Its just a tad more kick than the good spicy browns, and the texture is a bit different.

And that leads us to this.

THIS is what I put on my hotdogs (and Pastrami and Corned Beef)

0031277_ba-tampte-deli-mustard.jpeg

^^ This is what you are getting at the famous NY delis (or the exact appoximation)
Katz's uses their own mustard.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Love deli and spicy brown mustards. Actually like a little French’s yellow on the rare hot dog.

Grey poupon sucks.

Reaction Score
Charlie Gulden Spicy Mustard is a staple in my fridge but if I'm out, I can use any spicy mustard. Never cheap yellow mustard. Spicy Mustard is the Bomb!!

August_West

Reaction Score
Katz's uses their own mustard.

Which pretty much exactly like BaTampte

and by the way this aint fru fru gourmet or some type of hipster mustard. BaTampte is cheap, dirt cheap like 2 bucks for a 16 oz jar.

Reaction Score
Nope. why would I use Mustard at Arbys? Im not so sure if Arbys even HAS mustard.

They have honey mustard. Not sure about regular yellow mustard

I have in my fridge colmans, guldens spicy brown, maille mustard w/ Chablis white wine and black truffle (absolutely delicious but very strong/over powering if use too much), maille original Dijon w/ white wine, and mister mustard original hot

August_West

Reaction Score
They have honey mustard. Not sure about regular yellow mustard

I have in my fridge colmans, guldens spicy brown, maille mustard w/ Chablis white wine and black truffle (absolutely delicious but very strong/over powering if use too much), maille original Dijon w/ white wine, and mister mustard original hot

you have a mighty fine mustard game, sir.

Reaction Score
Never understood the hate for ketchup. Mustard is obviously the king condiment but people have a weird obsession with belittling ketchup.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Love deli and spicy brown mustards. Actually like a little French’s yellow on the rare hot dog.

Grey poupon sucks.
Grey poupon is useful as a slather mixed with olive oil on grilled meats and fish. I also use it spread on the bread of a basic tuna sandwich, stole that from Panera.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That stuff will clear the sinuses out in a hurry! I love it too

McSorley's!

When my father, brother and I get together he has the approximation of the "cheese plate" (Saltines, cheese, raw onion and a mug full of mixed Colmans with a Popsicle stick in it) waiting out on the counter.

Love that stuff

We used to call that the "white plate". Haven't been there in years. Still have buy beers two at a time?

Right now I have Gulden's Spicy Brown, French's yellow, Grey Poupon and a store brand Dijon and am out of stone ground, but that's usually Pommery, sometimes Plochmans. Also a tin of Coleman's powder and a jar of some Chinese mustard powder, plus black and yellow mustard seeds for Indian cooking.

If I'm making a Chicago dog or one with kimchi, I'll use yellow. If naked or kraut or chopped onion, Gulden's. I do not add mustard to a chili dog.

August_West

Reaction Score
We used to call that the "white plate". Haven't been there in years. Still have buy beers two at a time?

Yup can only order in multiples of two.

Love that place.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No. I dont know if you can consider it mustard. Its a root not a seed. However it is a much better option than ketchup. I like Horseradish and find it to be a very underutilized condiment.

That's more my wife's thing - uses Inglehoff horseradish sauce on a lot of stuff. I've tried wasabi mustard on a dog, didn't take. Roast beef or beef tenderloin are about the only times I use horseradish.

As for ketchup, I'm now a mayo convert on burgers and even fries - TJ's mayo is the go-to. I really never cared for mayo before trying TJ's, which IMO, is pretty close to the taste of fresh made you get with frites at our local Belgian mussel places around here.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We like you over here Kobe, you are welcome any time but you are a fan of a city who promotes skyline chili so I politely am asking you to leave a perfectly good food thread.

Seriously. Call it what it is: Greek bolognese sauce (e.g. the stuff on pastitsio).

Reaction Score
just like wine, a different answer to each question/food.

spicy, grainy brown a personal fav. great with pretzels and beer

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom