OT: Lets talk a real condiment: Mustard | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Lets talk a real condiment: Mustard

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't particularly care for mustard but that yellow mustard reminds me of newborn baby poop.
Now we can find out how many of these dudes changed a diaper!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
French's yellow mustard for all my mustard uses.

Occasionally if I'm feeling like a pretencious I'll go with Gulden's brown mustard.

Such a lost soul ;-). Yellow mustard is, unfortunately, often the only choice of mustard to put on hot dogs at golf course snack shops. Can’t face the back nine without it.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Rarely use mustard but my go to is Publix GreenWise Organic Dijon Mustard.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Mustard is a proper condiment unlike Ketchup.

So to start it off lets talk about one of the great vessels of mustard: The Hot Dog. (or frankfurter if you must)

What kind of mustard are you people putting on your Dogs? Style? Brand?

I'm a Gulden's spicy brown guy, but like Kosciusko better for cooking or making coleslaw. Yellow mustard is designed for the 6 year old's palate. If unsure, look down. If you see hair around your nether regions, you are too old for yellow mustard.

But while I have your attention, what will your condiment of choice be this weekend, when Arby's makes their once per year condescension to the outdoorsman?

22491936_10154926433412653_3616165905436728387_n.jpg

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I'm a Gulden's spicy brown guy, but like Kosciusko better for cooking or making coleslaw. Yellow mustard is designed for the 6 year old's palate. If unsure, look down. If you see hair around your nether regions, you are too old for yellow mustard.

But while I have your attention, what will your condiment of choice be this weekend, when Arby's makes their once per year condescension to the outdoorsman?

View attachment 25566
Our local Whole Foods sells venison, raised and slaughtered in New Zealand. It's OK, not the real "gamey" flavor of wild venison, but a change of pace from the other animals I eat. I just wish I could get wild hare, I prefer haunch of hare to all other game. Henry's End in Brooklyn had it on rare occasions.
As to mustard, no Thomy Scharfer Senf? You can get it from Amazon, and perhaps Whole Foods. And if don't have hair in those nether regions. this will put there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

View attachment 25566

The answer is just the supplied and provided cabernet steak sauce infused with juniper berries. You dont mess with an Arbys flavor profile. You just dont. They are the meatcraft geniuses, you need to trust them. Your trust in them always pays dividends.

Reaction Score
Hot dog usage: Gulden's Spicy Brown with relish/raw onions.

French's yellow with beanless chili/meat sauce and raw onions.

Pro tip: French's yellow as a dipping condiment with french fries. Better than you would think.
That is not a pro tip. It is an abomination

Reaction Score
Mustard? I use French's golden mustard pretty much only. Use it on ham, occasionally with relish on hot dogs (prefer ketchup), pretzels, certain sandwiches/grinders mostly ham and cheese, but the occasional chicken, even roast beef, turkey or an Italian combo for different type of flavor. Mustard's ok.

But NO poupon, ruins stuff.:eek: Maybe a honey mustard on some chicken tenders.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="August_West, post: 2375991, member: 1047"

When my father, brother and I get together he has the approximation of the "cheese plate" (Saltines, cheese, raw onion and a mug full of mixed Colmans with a Popsicle stick in it) waiting out on the counter.

Love that stuff[/QUOTE]

Is this a culturally traditional snack of some sort? At first glance it seems horrible and cheap, but then I look at it and think, "I really love all the components, I'm gonna try it". It seems like a snack that would have evolved during the depression or in a poor Northern European country during war time. The raw onion is roping me in. Raw onion improves anything that isn't dessert in my book.

August_West

Reaction Score
Is this a culturally traditional snack of some sort? At first glance it seems horrible and cheap, but then I look at it and think, "I really love all the components, I'm gonna try it". It seems like a snack that would have evolved during the depression or in a poor Northern European country during war time. The raw onion is roping me in. Raw onion improves anything that isn't dessert in my book.

Theyve been serving it at McSorleys old Ale House in NYC (the oldest continually running bar in NYC, been going since 1850's the place is a Historical treasure, the only place in NY allowed to remain open during prohibition, Didnt allow women in until forced to do so in 1970) It is still run and frequented by the old Irish. They only serve their beer (two types -" light or dark" and you have to order in multiples of two) My father has been going there since the early 60's and met me there on my 21st bday (after I saw the Grateful Dead at the Meadowlands) after midnight first legal beer I had.

If youre in the city, GO!!

Home - McSorley's Old Ale House

here it is (it goes so great with the beer) :
mcsorleys-cheese-platter.jpg

mustard recipe:

Just mix up the colmans and use a light ale (preferably McSorleys) to get it to the consistency you want.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We used to have an annual college reunion at McSorley's for 8-9 years up until 1988 or so. Back when they first started letting women in, they only had one bathroom and there was a bathroom bouncer seated outside the door to ensure female privacy. Had to be interesting for women as that bathroom had urinals so large you could disappear in the things. I imagine most had never seen such things.

The other noteworthy feature at the time was that the the gas lamp above the bar hadn't been dusted since Lincoln. It was quite gross. Apparently the health dept. made them finally clean the thing in 2004.

I want to say that the mugs were 12oz or so, but the way the bartenders poured the net was probably 9oz, with the rest a head that would spill over onto the serving tray, then on you and the table when the server reached over your head to serve them. We used to always sit at a longer rectangular table, and there was always a river of liquid running down the middle. Easiest drinking beer I recall though. Would never be an issue to have 10-12 at a sitting. I preferred the dark. When we first started going in 1980, it was $1.25 for two.

August_West

Reaction Score
ith the rest a head that would spill over onto the serving tray,

Tray? The good servers could carry at least 4-6 in each hand. But you are not wrong about it being at best 2/3rds full by the time it made it to the table.

And yeah messy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Tray? The good servers could carry at least 4-6 in each hand. But you are not wrong about it being at best 2/3rds full by the time it made it to the table.

And yeah messy.

Now that you mention it, you're correct in that they didn't use trays for the beer, only the food. I'm recalling that now as after you mentioned it, I remember we used to sit there and try to figure out how to do six in one hand.

The beta amongst us sat closest to the wall as they would stay dry that way.

Reaction Score
Theyve been serving it at McSorleys old Ale House in NYC (the oldest continually running bar in NYC, been going since 1850's the place is a Historical treasure, the only place in NY allowed to remain open during prohibition, Didnt allow women in until forced to do so in 1970) It is still run and frequented by the old Irish. They only serve their beer (two types -" light or dark" and you have to order in multiples of two) My father has been going there since the early 60's and met me there on my 21st bday (after I saw the Grateful Dead at the Meadowlands) after midnight first legal beer I had.

If youre in the city, GO!!

Home - McSorley's Old Ale House

here it is (it goes so great with the beer) :
mcsorleys-cheese-platter.jpg

mustard recipe:

Just mix up the colmans and use a light ale (preferably McSorleys) to get it to the consistency you want.

Ah. I went in there once after seeing a show at Webster Hall. I remember thinking it was awesome in terms of historic feel but I was probably trashed and have no recollection of cheese and crackers.

August_West

Reaction Score
And the dusty wishbones hung for good luck by doughboys going off th WW1.
extralarge.jpg

Health department recently made them clean them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What are the annual costs for running BY?

I'm not inclined to buy through ads. Generally, the ads that appear on my screen happen after I've already bought the product (or decided I wasn't interested).

However, I would be happy to buy BY merchandise if such were available. Even cranberry pants.

I'd also contribute to a GoFundMe.
Don't have to buy through adds. If anyone intends on buying something on Amazon just go through the portal in the nav bar. No clue on costs. Temery pays for site out of his pocket.

Reaction Score
I feel like Guldens flavor changed slightly in the early 2000's. It's obviously not the turmeric but maybe when ConAgra bought them and relocated the operation the sterile environment may have killed some of the old soul?

Maille makes some decent mustards. They have an old style that is all seed and would make a yellow mustard user's head explode.
Ive been saying the same thing for over a decade and people thought i was crazy! It is different. So much so that ive pretty much stopped buying it. Havent bought Guldens spicey brown in years. Good to know that if i am crazy im not alone.

Reaction Score
What are the annual costs for running BY?

I'm not inclined to buy through ads. Generally, the ads that appear on my screen happen after I've already bought the product (or decided I wasn't interested).

However, I would be happy to buy BY merchandise if such were available. Even cranberry pants.

I'd also contribute to a GoFundMe.

Well this like as good as time as any to buy some jars of mustard

Reaction Score
That stuff will clear the sinuses out in a hurry! I love it too

McSorley's!

When my father, brother and I get together he has the approximation of the "cheese plate" (Saltines, cheese, raw onion and a mug full of mixed Colmans with a Popsicle stick in it) waiting out on the counter.

Love that stuff
Hah! Was just at mcsorleys a month ago. That mustard is the devil. Eating onions to calm the fire is like putting kerosene on gasoline

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom