OT: Lets talk a real condiment: Mustard | The Boneyard

OT: Lets talk a real condiment: Mustard

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Mustard is a proper condiment unlike Ketchup. And is acceptable for use in a myriad of ways.

The question is are you guys using it right?

So in this thread let's delve into the different mustard styles (and there are many) and talk about the times and places they should be used.

Interested in the style and what your go to brands are in each instance.

So to start it off lets talk about one of the great vessels of mustard: The Hot Dog. (or frankfurter if you must)

What kind of mustard are you people putting on your Dogs? Style? Brand?

August_West

Reaction Score
Kosciusko Spicy Brown Mustard - good for pretzel dipping as well!

Thats an excellent mustard. Not my absolute go to, but very high on the accepted standby list. Like top 2.

Reaction Score
Your disdain of all things ketchup is extreme when factoring in burgers and fries. I agree it should be avoided on everything else. My father-in-law puts ketchup on everything (including some soups) because he grew up with limited means and a mom that couldn't cook. It's a constant fight to keep my kids from overusing ketchup.

I agree with you that mustard is the godfather of condiments. I'd like to add, however, that yellow mustard has its place on pretzels, but shouldn't be considered mustard for any other reason.

I like a brown deli mustard for most sandwiches (including hot dogs and hamburgers). I like a coarse grained mustard for cooking and dipping things. Spicey honey mustard has its place, but not on sandwiches for me. I always like the way the Inglehoffer mustards sound, but they are often disappointing.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
And whatever the mustard they use at Blackie's in Cheshire. Kind of a hot deli mustard, they told me what it was but I have forgotten.

August_West

Reaction Score
Your disdain of all things ketchup is extreme when factoring in burgers and fries. I agree it should be avoided on everything else. My father-in-law puts ketchup on everything (including some soups) because he grew up with limited means and a mom that couldn't cook. It's a constant fight to keep my kids from overusing ketchup.

I agree with you that mustard is the godfather of condiments. I'd like to add, however, that yellow mustard has its place on pretzels, but shouldn't be considered mustard for any other reason.

I like a brown deli mustard for most sandwiches (including hot dogs and hamburgers). I like a coarse grained mustard for cooking and dipping things. Spicey honey mustard has its place, but not on sandwiches for me. I always like the way the Inglehoffer mustards sound, but they are often disappointing.

I like the thought you put into your mustards.

Ill forgive you making apologies for ketchup this one time in light of your mustard game.

August_West

Reaction Score
I love almost all mustards, but I hate yellow mustard. Am I crazy for that?

Im with you on Yellow mustard overall. Its defintiely the ketchup of mustards. I think I pretty much concur with Chucks take on that:

I'd like to add, however, that yellow mustard has its place on pretzels, but shouldn't be considered mustard for any other reason.

I can handle yellow on a good street pretzel. But usually Im thinking "wouldnt a spicy brown be better" ?

August_West

Reaction Score
My go to hot dog is a chili, kraut, and mustard dog. Gulden's spicy brown has never let me down.

Guldens spicy brown along with Kosciusko are my more than acceptable stand by choices for dogs. 1a 1b . Want to see if anyone hits my brand before I reveal. But Guldens is a perfectly great spicy brown as is Kosciusko.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Guldens spicy brown along with Kosciusko are my more than acceptable stand by choices for dogs. 1a 1b . Want to see if anyone hits my brand before I reveal. But Guldens is a perfectly great spicy brown as is Kosciusko.

Both great.

My pick - Colman's.

August_West

Reaction Score
Both great.

My pick - Colman's Dry Mustard.

That stuff will clear the sinuses out in a hurry! I love it too

McSorley's!

When my father, brother and I get together he has the approximation of the "cheese plate" (Saltines, cheese, raw onion and a mug full of mixed Colmans with a Popsicle stick in it) waiting out on the counter.

Love that stuff

Reaction Score
Mister mustard original hot?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Yellow mustard has no place in our house except when seen on TV commercials.
Guldens Spicy Brown is the go to for just about everything. My favorite dog at Roscoe's (RIP) had chili, shredded cheese and spicy brown mustard.
I do have a fondness for Koops Arizona Heat mustard. It's got a little bit of a peppery bite to it. I'm currently using the Stop & Shop version of it "Sweet & Hot Mustard" which is passable but not preferred.

August_West

Reaction Score
Whatever swill they put in the Arby's and Wendy's dispensers?

Nope. why would I use Mustard at Arbys? Im not so sure if Arbys even HAS mustard.

August_West

Reaction Score
I use horse radish. Is that considered a form of mustard?? I don't know, but I use it with kraut, chili, relish and chopped onion.

No. I dont know if you can consider it mustard. Its a root not a seed. However it is a much better option than ketchup. I like Horseradish and find it to be a very underutilized condiment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom