OT- Kasongo To Oregon | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT- Kasongo To Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
yes, and lets give them trophies at the end of the year for trying. get real. this is high major basketball. 3 national championships and 4 final four basketball. you dont get applause for trying. you get applause for landing recruits and winning titles. do schools like kentucky, kansas, duke, or even syracuse get behind their program for missing recruits to lesser programs?

Why even bother? Your pattern is noting more than that of a whiny bit*h!

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Hamilton - no question, a pure win.

We had to lose Purvis once before getting him off the bounce - if he's coming out of high school this year, we don't get him.

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm as frustrated as the next guy that the recruits promoted here and elsewhere have elected to go elsewhere.

Purvis has 3 years of eligibility left. I'd like to see the list of years under JC where we recruited 2 guys with 7 years of eligibility that were more highly touted than these 2.

KO's been the coach for less than a year now (thanks to warde lacking the stones to give KO the contract day 1).

Is it too much to ask that we maintain some patience and analyze a full recruiting cycle or two before we push the panic button?

Reaction Score
Actually just messaged Kasongo in Facebook lol. Not expecting a reply, but I was honestly interested in what Oregon did that we didn't , so that's exactly what I asked him. Because clearly, something doesn't quite add up in his recruitment.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
KO's been the coach for less than a year now (thanks to warde lacking the stones to give KO the contract day 1).

Is it too much to ask that we maintain some patience and analyze a full recruiting cycle or two before we push the panic button?

I'd say that we push it ASAP.

We're kind of in no-man's land right now - football is lost and men's hoop really needs to carry the U (again). We can't exist permanently in the AAC and if we fall off in men's hoop, we may find ourselves permanently relegated like Houston was back in the day.

Patience is too expensive for us these days.

We have the right coach, but we might not have the right pieces around him - given everything he's got on his plate and given the learning curve that he's on, he really needs a dead-nuts recruiter on the staff. Way, way too many swings and misses right now.

Reaction Score
Tom Moore, anyone?

(Yeah, I know it will never happen, but he would be the perfect assistant for this team.)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
yes, and lets give them trophies at the end of the year for trying. get real. this is high major basketball. 3 national championships and 4 final four basketball. you dont get applause for trying. you get applause for landing recruits and winning titles. do schools like kentucky, kansas, duke, or even syracuse get behind their program for missing recruits to lesser programs?

What is a big time fan? Someone who acts offended when there are some disappointments? Or perhaps someone who knows that there are no guarantees and stays loyal to the team/program that has brought so much joy and fun to this state? What are you going to do if we don't sign another recruit? Seriously, what will you do? Bitch and whine? Demand Ollie be fired? What? Perhaps Calhoun should have been fired prior to 1999....he just could not win the big one, just wasn't bigtime. Maybe Ollie will have to build up his own rep over a longer stretch of time. I can understand fans being disappointed and even frustrated, but offended? Outraged? No, can't see that. That's bs entitlement. Stay ten toes in even when the going gets tough and give KO a real chance to guide the program through this rough period of conference realignment and transition from a HOF coach. That is reasonable and what is needed.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

We're kind of in no-man's land right now - football is lost and men's hoop really needs to carry the U (again). We can't exist permanently in the AAC and if we fall off in men's hoop, we may find ourselves permanently relegated like Houston was back in the day.

We have the right coach, but we might not have the right pieces around him - given everything he's got on his plate and given the learning curve that he's on, he really needs a dead-nuts recruiter on the staff. Way, way too many swings and misses right now.

"We can't exist permanently in the AAC" -- TOTALLY AGREE.

Relative at least to where resided the last 30 years, the AAC is the definition of a PIGSHOW.

And men's hoops remains our calling card (as it would have even had the Pasqualoni train wreck not occurred).

I just don't buy that the failure of a bunch of offers to materialize into commitments over a 4-month period justifies the Chicken Little coop to dominate the Yard...

Reaction Score

What about the New Big East? Could UConn exist permanently there? I realize it's not exactly a reasonable alternative, but I'm just wondering what you think the sustainability there is.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that the AAC is not helping UConn with recruiting, but it's not like the PAC-12 is the ACC, B1G, or even old Big East when it comes to the quality of basketball. The PAC-12 can barely get 2 teams to qualify for the NCAA tournament of late. That's a fact. Even after Louisville leaves, the AAC will still have a better overall basketball product than the PAC-12. Anybody who knows anything about college basketball basketball would take UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and Temple over the top 4 in the PAC-12 any day of the week. And if SMU and Houston can gain some traction in basketball, even better. The PAC-12 is a football conference and that's never going to change.

And good luck with exposure in the PAC-12 vs. the AAC. East coast bias aside, while the AAC may be the bottom dweller in ESPN's portfolio, it's still freaking ESPN. Casual sports fans still flip to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews when channel surfing. These same people couldn't tell you what FS1 stands for if you asked them, let alone on what channel FS1 is. The new Big East might drive some college basketball ratings for FS1 (though probably not), but there is no way PAC-12 basketball is going to move the needle at that network.

While the PAC-12 kills the AAC in terms of TV contract $$$, long term stability, and all those despressing numbers that school presidents and ADs care about (that's a topic for the conference realignment board), it's basketball product is still consistently one of the worst in the BCS. No recruit who cares about their future in basketball should ever go to a PAC-12 school not named UCLA or Arizona.

Good luck to Ray. Not sure what he's looking for, but I hope he finds it...

Reaction Score
What about the New Big East? Could UConn exist permanently there? I realize it's not exactly a reasonable alternative, but I'm just wondering what you think the sustainability there is.

It's a question of money. The money difference between the BE and AAC is not wide especially when you take into account UConn's tier 3 rights and football which adds to licensing. So, moneywise, there's little difference at all.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Short term, for hoops, far better - that league has a little bit of gravitas that the AAC doesn't. They can sell the name, the history and the Garden.

The sole recruiting pitch this conference has is, "we play UConn!" and we can't freaking use that.

Long term, though, the new Big East is remaindered when the big fish leave the small. In ten or twenty years, they'll be playing for smaller stakes. We're not with the big fish yet, but at least we have a shot.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that the AAC is not helping UConn with recruiting, but it's not like the PAC-12 is the ACC, B1G, or even old Big East when it comes to the quality of basketball. The PAC-12 can barely get 2 teams to qualify for the NCAA tournament of late. That's a fact. Even after Louisville leaves, the AAC will still have a better overall basketball product than the PAC-12. Anybody who knows anything about college basketball basketball would take UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and Temple over the top 4 in the PAC-12 any day of the week. And if SMU and Houston can gain some traction in basketball, even better. The PAC-12 is a football conference and that's never going to change.

And good luck with exposure in the PAC-12 vs. the AAC. East coast bias aside, while the AAC may be the bottom dweller in ESPN's portfolio, it's still freaking ESPN. Casual sports fans still flip to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews when channel surfing. These same people couldn't tell you what FS1 stands for if you asked them, let alone on what channel FS1 is. The new Big East might drive some college basketball ratings for FS1 (though probably not), but there is no way PAC-12 basketball is going to move the needle at that network.

While the PAC-12 kills the AAC in terms of TV contract $, long term stability, and all those despressing numbers that school presidents and ADs care about (that's a topic for the conference realignment board), it's basketball product is still consistently one of the worst in the BCS. No recruit who cares about their future in basketball should ever go to a PAC-12 school not named UCLA or Arizona.

Good luck to Ray. Not sure what he's looking for, but I hope he finds it...

Pac12 on FS1 with games starting at 10 pm is a very hard sell for TV viewers. And you're right about the B12. It has Arizona, UCLA and maybe Stanford and Oregon. Washington and Cal. are middling at best. Washington St., Oregon St., USC, Arizona St., Utah and Colorado are awful. That's 6 bad teams. 2 middling. 2 that are good. 2 that are excellent. Probably better than the AAC but not that much. And low exposure.

Reaction Score
It's a question of money. The money difference between the BE and AAC is not wide especially when you take into account UConn's tier 3 rights and football which adds to licensing. So, moneywise, there's little difference at all.

Recruiting wise, I would have to figure it's more appealing to play Georgetown, Butler, Villanova, and St. Johns than Temple, Houston, Cincy, and Memphis. Granted, the New Big East isn't exactly the BIG or ACC, but it's at the very least the A-10 on steroids and at best the third best conference in basketball projecting forward over the next couple years. Next year, the disparity between the AAC and Big East won't be wide, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the future, given, as you said, there is little difference in terms of money. I suppose it depends almost entirely whether these schools can keep their current coaches that elevated them to their current status. They aren't exactly off to a great start in that department with Stevens bolting before coaching a game in the league, but then again any coach, at any program would be tempted by the opportunity of coaching the Celtics. It will be interesting to keep an eye on the trajectory of the two leagues over the next few years.

Reaction Score
if we don't get D Rob ill officially be panicking. these misses are definitely becoming a trend.

I'm still stung by Abu. Legit all in on him and we lost him to NC STATE!

Reaction Score
Please stop whining.

We will be fine. Once Rakim committed, I think RayK was difficult: anyone else? And Abu? I think Rakim has the ability to be as good (but Abu was local). We will have a good class. Not our best. But as much as we can say we need a Star Recruiter; I think a really stellar year under Kevin Ollie this season places in another stratosphere. Produce.

What do we need? I agree that a Cassell & Robinson (given our other components) are highly prioritized. And a 2015 PG.

Reaction Score
First off, I'm disappointed that Kasongo didn't choose us over Oregon, but unlike most here, I'm not panicking and still assess our program as I have been the last few months. I've been saying all along that our conference is killing us and the staff has to overcome that with every recruit. They were able to do so with 5* Hamilton and with the less heralded Lubin, just a few days ago. KO can no longer tell recruits that they'll be playing one elite conference program after another, nor can he tell them they'll get to play multiple games at MSG in NYC.

We'll probably never know for sure why we lost Ray to the Ducks, but I have my suspicions. I'll get to those in a moment.

Every recruiting battle has its unique twists and turns. I think the conference situation was a major impact with Abu. The Old Big East UConn would have landed him.

I think the OBE UConn might have been enough to sway Larrier (Bronx NY) our way, but his relationship with Smart and VCU's recent success was more than enough to trump the AAC UConn. KO can no longer tell northeast recruits that they'll get to play whole slew of games close to home (No PC, SJU, SHU, Nova or SU) and no MSG. Hum...are we the only AAC team in the northeast?

Getting back to what I suspect were the driving forces behind Kasongo's decision I think they are as follows:

1. I have a strong feeling those advising him were pro-Oregon and they wore him down. The following three gave them fodder for their pro-O campaign.

2. Those influences probably pointed to a crowded front court (Brimah, Facey, Nolan) that go even more crowded with the verbal from a similar player in Lubin and possibly the addition of the 3/4 combo Robinson who has been high on UConn. Even though we might not land him, I'm sure the pro-Oregon influences pointed him out even though Robinson is likely to play more 3 than 4, not to mention that there's no guarantee we'll land him in the first place.

3. Oregon's coach told him had a good shot at starting as a freshman there, something that I doubt that KO would have told him. PT is earned at UConn and I wonder if landing Lubin gave the Oregon influences extra fuel for the fire. I can imagine someone telling him, "You are our top priority for the 4. UConn just picked up a similar player in Lubin. If you go there, you'll be just another body while at Oregon, you're our guy." Remember there were rumors that Ray felt pressure. I wonder if KO told him that Lubin was coming in for a visit the following weekend, not to mention other bigs (Swift & Colson) after that and that he'd take whoever said yes first. Once Lubin accepted, KO probably told him that they would still take both, providing more negative fodder for the other side.

4. AAC issue may have been a factor in that if we were the OBE-UConn, an elite program in an elite conference, might have been able to overcome 1, 2 & 3. Like it or not, the 3 biggest selling points that won us our share of recruiting battles are no longer valid. Not only are we no longer part of what was considered the best high major hoops conference, we're not even in a major conference. We no longer have the head coach that was credited for leading us to 3 NCs and putting a whole slew of players in the NBA. As much as we think we're elite and have an elite coach in KO, there is a mountain of negative recruiting casting a perception that UConn is no longer an elite program. Never mind a clean slate for UConn and KO, there's a growing perception that UConn's stock is going down, evident by all the recruiting battles we seem to be losing. Granted we can point to Purvis and Hamilton, that our stock is still high, but other than landing the unheralded Lubin (who I think is going to be very good player) the staff has been swinging and missing for the last few months.

That fact that we were leading till the very end with Kasongo, tells me that 1,2 & 3 were likely the bigger issues, and if we had not landed Lubin, maybe he would have chosen us over the Ducks. It's too bad. I had hopes that we could put one scary big in there after another and in some cases play both at the same time. I had visions of being like that MD team with Baxter and Wilcox that abused us back-in-the-day. I think we were all greedy. We didn't want just one Troutman, but two, and why not?!?!

I still don't think it's time to panic. There are some real obstacles to overcome and just as they were able to overcome them with Purvis, Hamilton and Lubin, they'll be able to do the same with 2 or 3 more recruits. I would not be shocked if we end up landing our PG in Cassell at the end of this week, land Swift or Colson for that 2nd Big in this class and maybe in the end, KO will land Robinson who both he and his family seem to really like KO. As much as we all would have loved to see both Lubin and Kasongo eat a ton of minutes in our 2014 frontcourt and beyond, all it means is that Lubin and the returning bigs will just get more minutes and we'll be just fine.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I think UConn is going to have a big time 2013-14 season that will take this team to at least the S-16 if not E-8 and beyond. The 2015 recruits will take notice and KO will pull in some big timers making us all forget about all this crap. Keep in mind that the Squid and Pasner have been able to recruit their share of highly ranked recruits at Memphis, a program that has not come close to the success that UConn has had, there is no reason why KO can't begin to win more of these recruiting battles even though the AAC issue will have to be something to overcome by continued success and the strong Husky brand.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
ColoradoUCFan - It took me a small novel to come to the same conclusion you arrived at in your one sentence post. :)
I was just about to read your post. I'll take your advice and read the Cliff Notes!:)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We've seen this before. Losing some recruits that JC wanted and ending up with someone better. Not saying that will happen this time but UCONN is involved seriously with a top 30 player and some others who would fit into UCONN quite well.

Get off the ledge and have some faith

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We've seen this before. Losing some recruits that JC wanted and ending up with someone better. Not saying that will happen this time but UCONN is involved seriously with a top 30 player and some others who would fit into UCONN quite well.

Get off the ledge and have some faith
kid tweeted he's still undecided

Reaction Score
Holy crap, you're right! I'm totally confused. He just posted this. I just re-followed him again on Twitter

Ray Kasongo@RayKasongo32 13m
I am still undecided, and haven't made a commitment yet. I need more time to think about this and will decide where I go later on this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom