OT- Kasongo To Oregon | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT- Kasongo To Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out the sky is falling posts.

We lost Abu to NC State, fair enough.

I still can't figure who we lost to PC because it wasn't Kris Dunn. We had no scholarship for him. We didn't even have a scholly for Andre Drummond.

Kasongo was ours to lose and he made that quite obvious publicly. We then signed Lubin. We probably muddied the water there. Lubin is a physical freak.

We do need a great recruiter on staff. I've felt that for years now. We haven't had one in so long I can't remember who our last one was. However, I love the 3 guys we have and we aren't done yet.
Brandy new (pretty much) coach, APR sanctions, craptastic conference, no ncaa tourney last year. I could recruit against us with ease. That said this is is our absolute nadir on recruiting...and this year didn't completely suck. It will just keep getting better. No worries.

Reaction Score
kid tweeted he's still undecided

I don't know if there is something to this, but I was wondering if this report that he committed was set in stone. I can't explain why, but I had a strange feeling about it. Anyhow, I did a Google search and found this. I don't know if the time stamp has been doctored and this is an older tweet but his latest one is listed as:

Ray Kasongo@RayKasongo32
23m
I am still undecided, and haven't made a commitment yet. I need more time to think about this and will decide where I go later on this week.

and has a time stamp of 10:17 PM - 2 Oct 13

So what do we make of it? Maybe we'll have that two tightend set after all. :)

Reaction Score
I don't know if there is something to this, but I was wondering if this report that he committed was set in stone. I can't explain why, but I had a strange feeling about it. Anyhow, I did a Google search and found this. I don't know if the time stamp has been doctored and this is an older tweet but his latest one is listed as:

Ray Kasongo@RayKasongo32
23m
I am still undecided, and haven't made a commitment yet. I need more time to think about this and will decide where I go later on this week.

and has a time stamp of 10:17 PM - 2 Oct 13

So what do we make of it? Maybe we'll have that two tightend set after all. :)

He JUST posted that

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am wondering what is going on. Just looks very strange, but he is an 18 year old.

Reaction Score
Holy crap, you're right! I'm totally confused. He just posted this. I just re-followed him again on Twitter

Ray Kasongo@RayKasongo32 13m
I am still undecided, and haven't made a commitment yet. I need more time to think about this and will decide where I go later on this week

If this is true, and Ray is reading the Boneyard, this post is for you Ray:

Take into account what advise you're getting from those you know that love you. Try to see through those that have their own agendas. But ultimately choose based on what your heart tells you.

Be wary when coaches promise you anything such as starting as a freshman. I doubt you got that from UConn, but you can be confident that PT will be earned at UConn by working hard and learning. That's the type of work ethic and skills development that will earn a player with your potential a job at the highest level. I could give you a list of even more heralded recruits than you that chose to go elsewhere that never reached their potential. I could give you a list of similar recruits that chose wisely and after their 3 to 4 years at UConn, earned a very nice living at that highest level (Josh Boone, Hilton Armstrong, Jake Voskuhl, Emeka Okafor, Hasheem Thabeet), not to mention the slew of other players who made a living playing abroad.

I can't speak for the Duck's fanbase, but the Husky faithful are among the best in the nation. A tad crazy, but brutally loyal. The thought of cheering you and Lubin, two bigtime bruisers, dominate the paint over the next few years is a lot of fun to look forward to.

If winning is important, there are few programs like UConn that win consistently and end up on top (3 National Championships within the last 15 years).

More importantly than that, there are few coaches like Jim Calhoun and now Kevin Ollie, who are all about building collegiate athletes into quality young men. I can't tell you how proud I am with some of the mature and outstanding young men that have come out of this program. If I had a son who was going to play college hoops, there's not another coach out there that I would want to coach my son. Having the chance to be around Kevin Ollie for a few years to learn about life and hoops would be something you just don't want to pass up. KO is going to be a Husky for life or close to it. You just never know now-a-days how long coaches will stick around, but KO is not going anywhere soon.

If the tweet is legit and you're still wrestling with your decision, I wish you the best. I know that there have been a lot of angry responses in this thread, but that's because of how passionate some of our fans are. I have never or will ever trash you for your decision no matter what you decide. I know it's a big decision and a hard one. With any program there are pros and cons. Don't let the concern of playing time, or better put competition, scare you away from either program. In fact, something that I already posted, quality competition will only help you develop faster and better. At UConn you'll be going up against some of the toughest competition possible. As I pointed out before, if you're a hard worker and a good learner, you'll earn your PT and KO and the UConn staff will coach every ounce of your potential out of you. I hope you take on that challenge.

Reaction Score
Sore loser.

Any comment this morning? Still think I'm a sore loser?

Very obvious last night the kid wasn't picking Oregon, his handlers were. He didn't even remember the coaches name a day ago. I feel bad for him, hope he chooses what HE wants.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Very obvious last night the kid wasn't picking Oregon, his handlers were. He didn't even remember the coaches name a day ago. I feel bad for him, hope he chooses what HE wants.
The thing is he is torn about his decision because he's getting different advice from two groups of people he has a good relationship with. Lots of young kids don't know the world and seek the advice of mentors. This forum consistently praises JC because he stays involved with his players and gives them advice. Most of us rely on the advice of other people for one thing or another.

This decision is a no brainer for us because our life doesn't depend on the choice. Not so with Kasongo!

Reaction Score
Amazing we haven't got out of the first round in the ten opportunities since. Oh wait, we've only been to the tourney once since. Not really a viable sample size to predict our demise.

Haha. Oh, I know. I'm pointing out what negative recruiters are going to say.

Reaction Score
I still can't figure who we lost to PC because it wasn't Kris Dunn. We had no scholarship for him. We didn't even have a scholly for Andre Drummond.

Me neither. Could it be Chris Webber?

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score

Oh internet logic. Yes, that's certainly how it appears, but you (and many here) are jumping to conclusions from very limited information and third-hand sources. Only Ray Kasongo and people in his inner circle really know what's affecting his decision. It's possible it's money, but it's also possible it's something else and you're making an unfounded accusation. Just cause you've deduced it's likely $, doesn't mean it's a responsible thing to post.

Yesterday morning, when it appeared UConn had the upper hand, Oregon fans were posting the same bs: http://oregon.247sports.com/Board/45/One-team-stands-out-for-Kasongo-21895377/1

Sounds like somebody opened up the check book
Uconn's check cleared

When someone goes from basically committing to one school to having a different leader in a 24 hour span it looks odd. I'm not saying he got paid, but he got paid.

Reaction Score
Oh internet logic. Yes, that's certainly how it appears, but you (and many here) are jumping to conclusions from very limited information and third-hand sources. Only Ray Kasongo and people in his inner circle really know what's affecting his decision. It's possible it's money, but it's also possible it's something else and you're making an unfounded accusation. Just cause you've deduced it's likely $, doesn't mean it's a responsible thing to post.

Yesterday morning, when it appeared UConn had the upper hand, Oregon fans were posting the same bs: http://oregon. /Board/45/One-team-stands-out-for-Kasongo-21895377/1

I'm not sure the person you responded to claimed it is money.

Reaction Score

Yesterday morning, when it appeared UConn had the upper hand, Oregon fans were posting the same bs: http://oregon. /Board/45/One-team-stands-out-for-Kasongo-21895377/1

Their accusation is a blind one; The UConn side at least has a certain amount of circumstantial evidence with Ray going back and forth with Lamb and Ollie on twitter, "leaning" toward UConn, and not knowing the Oregon coach's name.

No one has any proof here, but there is a lot of smoke here that would lead me to believe something fishy is going on on the Oregon side of the recruitment with his handler.

Edit - I def insinuated money might be involved, and I never make those accusations. It's not a "sore loser" comment, it's an "educated assumption" comment.

Reaction Score
Hoops Hype Canada@HoopsHypeCA
31m
Director of PHASE 1 Academy Wayne Dawkins tells HHC Kasongo "had cold feet" after commiting and hopes Ray well finalize decision tonight.
----------------------------------
Not really new, But thought I'd throw it out there.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
31m
Director of PHASE 1 Academy Wayne Dawkins tells HHC Kasongo "had cold feet" after commiting and hopes Ray well finalize decision tonight.
hmmm... cold feet, huh? Does that imply he'll still go through with the marriage to Oregon then?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
31m
You get cold feet when you don't put "ten toes in"!!!!

Reaction Score
247Sports 1:04pm via HootSuite
RT @Prehmmr247: Ray Kasongo is now an uncommitted prospect again. Here is a timeline of the events and what I think happens... http://oregon. /Board/45/Ray-Kasongo-now-uncommitted-21917146/1#a21917488

It's a premium article but in essence it sounds like parents (where there is an English language barrier) like UConn. So it was Oregon on Sunday after Oregon campus visit, UConn after in home on Monday w/ UConn, Oregon again on Wednesday after Oregon in home to smooth things over, and then after a call from UConn - it's back to undecided so he can sort things out.

Writers feeling is he ends up @ Oregon all said and done.

Reaction Score
31m

Shouldn't he be more concerned and "hopeful" that Kasongo makes the right decision for Kasongo?

Who funds Phase 1 anyway?

Reaction Score
You get cold feet when you don't put "ten toes in"!!!!

Hah ha, nicely played.

You're imagining direct payments to a player? Or, side payments to AAU people?

A few years ago, Jay Williams, TV guy, former player and agent, Duke alum, showed up at a dinner between Kevin Love's AAU coach and Kevin Love and his father. He had a paper bag in his hand with $25k in it. He handed it over to the AAU coach in front of Love and his father. It wasn't to get him to go to Duke (though this is certainly a violation when an alum hands money over like that), but instead he wanted Love to sign on with his agency. This is how it works.

Again, I want to know who funds Phase1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1