OT- Kasongo To Oregon | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT- Kasongo To Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

If there's any concern, people are wondering why the AAU people are so hot for Oregon when Kasongo said he was leaning UConn. That's why i question things. UConn is a Nike school, but Oregon is THE Nike school. The AAU guys and the shoe companies are tied at the hip.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suspect it is as simple as a young kid and his parents trying to make a life changing decision n an area that they are not familiar with. Give it time. It will be what it will be.

Reaction Score

Not saying the money is going to the kid. Not at all. And there is no risk. There is no law or rule about Nike giving money to a basketball academy. I don't think there is anyway.

Some guys just know how their bread is buttered. I am not saying there was money passed around this week. I just wonder why the AAU guys are so obstinately favoring one place.

This is an interesting question also for PC and UConn when it comes to Abu's recruitment. Florida makes a lot more sense than NC State.

Reaction Score
i keep reading the phrase "smoothed things over" in regards to Oregon. what exactly does that mean?

The exact quote from Matt Prehm @ Duck Territory was: "Kasongo wanted to go to Oregon all along but also wants to please his parents. Oregon was able to smooth issues over with the parents that weren't really issues. There was confusion I am told based on the English barrier with the parents."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
247Sports 1:04pm via HootSuite
RT @Prehmmr247: Ray Kasongo is now an uncommitted prospect again. Here is a timeline of the events and what I think happens... http://oregon. /Board/45/Ray-Kasongo-now-uncommitted-21917146/1#a21917488

It's a premium article but in essence it sounds like parents (where there is an English language barrier) like UConn. So it was Oregon on Sunday after Oregon campus visit, UConn after in home on Monday w/ UConn, Oregon again on Wednesday after Oregon in home to smooth things over, and then after a call from UConn - it's back to undecided so he can sort things out.

Writers feeling is he ends up @ Oregon all said and done.
Admittedly, I don't follow this stuff much because I value my sanity, but that's my gut here too. All indications have been that he and his parents want UConn and his camp wants Oregon, and he caved to the pressure from his camp after Oregon gave him a little more love to make him feel better about going there despite the fact that it's not where his heart is.

Not surprisingly, he felt buyer's remorse after committing to Oregon last night, especially if his parents were not fully on board with the decision. My guess is that the additional time will be used to allow his camp and the Oregon staff to give his parents enough comfort so that they will tell him that it's okay if he chooses Oregon.

He's a kid, and most kids still want their parents to tell them it's okay. We know that his camp is never going to favor UConn, so I don't see a scenario where he changes back to us once he made it clear that he was allowing his camp to guide his choice. Turning the parents--or at least getting their blessing--is a far easier task by comparison. And ultimately they will likely relent and give their blessing, because there will be a lot of pressure on them to do so.

Whatever happens here, I have a hard time faulting our staff. It sounds like they did a remarkably good job of making it clear to Ray and his family that this is the best place for him, and that he would fit and develop well in all respects. In the end, it looks like we were up against forces over which we had no control if his camp was in the bag for Oregon from the start.

Reaction Score
The exact quote from Matt Prehm @ Duck Territory was: "Kasongo wanted to go to Oregon all along but also wants to please his parents. Oregon was able to smooth issues over with the parents that weren't really issues. There was confusion I am told based on the English barrier with the parents."

That contradicts Jerry Meyer who said yesterday that the kid was favoring UConn but others in his camp wanted Oregon.

Reaction Score
He wants Oregon all along which would explain why he was trying to dry hump KO's leg on twitter and re-tweeting a lot of UConn stuff a few days ago.
That explanation is as genuine as his first comments about why he picked Oregon

Reaction Score
That contradicts Jerry Meyer who said yesterday that the kid was favoring UConn but others in his camp wanted Oregon.

well keep in mind that the quote is from a guy who writes for "Duck Territory," so that should give you some context, lol

Yup - while they both write for 247sports - one is the Duck's guy and Jerry is the Dir. of Basketball Scouting for 247Sports

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I haven't thought about it in a long time, but many years ago I was seriously considering attending law school at University of Oregon. I was interested in environmental law at the time, or at least I thought I was because I was a wanna-be hippie who thought it sounded cool--until I took a class in it and discovered that it's every bit as dry as tax law, just with a different set of codes. Anyhow, I thought Eugene was a pretty cool town, I liked the campus and the people and I definitely saw myself liking it there.

I was living in San Francisco at the time, bar tending and working a few other jobs, and I will never forget what a bar patron, who had moved to the Bay area from Oregon, said when told her I was considering going there:

"You know what the unofficial Oregon state motto is, don't you? Every misfortune is preferable to a worse one."

I loved the line but never fully understood its application to Oregon, probably because I ended up not going there. But it did stick with me and make me wonder.

Reaction Score
I haven't thought about it in a long time, but many years ago I was seriously considering attending law school at University of Oregon. I was interested in environmental law at the time, or at least I thought I was because I was a wanna-be hippie who thought it sounded cool--until I took a class in it and discovered that it's every bit as dry as tax law, just with a different set of codes. Anyhow, I thought Eugene was a pretty cool town, I liked the campus and the people and I definitely saw myself liking it there.

I was living in San Francisco at the time, bar tending and working a few other jobs, and I will never forget what a bar patron, who had moved to the Bay area from Oregon, said when told her I was considering going there:

"You know what the unofficial Oregon state motto is, don't you? Every misfortune is preferable to a worse one."

I loved the line but never fully understood its application to Oregon, probably because I ended up not going there. But it did stick with me and make me wonder.

I was told by someone from New Hampshire that the real state motto was "Live Free AND Die."

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Is this optimism at it's worse or pessimism at it's best?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was told by someone from New Hampshire that the real state motto was "Live Free AND Die."
Still love the story of a guy who put tape over the state motto on his license plate and was arrested for it!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Still love the story of a guy who put tape over the state motto on his license plate and was arrested for it!
irony.jpg

Reaction Score
If he and his camp were/are working hard to smooth things over with the rents, why bother reneging on verbal? just keep working the rents while commited(so you don't look bad), and if they still don't buy change your mind DOWN the road. his disposition yesterday via twitter spelled out he's still completely wavering .

caw

Reaction Score
Like I said if the parents aren't part of the inner circle pushing Oregon, I like UConns chances. Kasongo obviously prefers UConn. It appears they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom