OT- Kasongo To Oregon | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT- Kasongo To Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Didn't Kasongo read our poll??? 85% of us wanted him to sign with UCONN! I guess Colson read it. May I suggest that in the future, polls like that be banned??

Reaction Score
apparently playing in a place where no one knows the school even has a basketball team is better than having an entire state obsessed with the games and your team.

This kid is a friggin moron and an balloon knot for the whole "PWEASE FOLLOW ME COACH OLLIE!!!! I LOVE YOU AND WANT YOUR BODY" tweet.

I can understand how a kid goes to Oregon and not UConn, I can't understand how he gets down to Oregon OR UConn and goes OU, unless he's a football player

Reaction Score
He may be 17 but the way the kid handled this, asking Ollie to follow him on Twitter etc.., seems pretty low. Even someone that age should know better. This one is really a head-scratcher. He will toil in anonymity out there on the west coast and be lucky to taste the NCAA tournament. If this decision was the product of someone else's influence they really didn't do him any favors.

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out the sky is falling posts.

We lost Abu to NC State, fair enough.

I still can't figure who we lost to PC because it wasn't Kris Dunn. We had no scholarship for him. We didn't even have a scholly for Andre Drummond.

Kasongo was ours to lose and he made that quite obvious publicly. We then signed Lubin. We probably muddied the water there. Lubin is a physical freak.

We do need a great recruiter on staff. I've felt that for years now. We haven't had one in so long I can't remember who our last one was. However, I love the 3 guys we have and we aren't done yet.

Huh? Kris Dunn was a freshman this past season. We signed Phil Nolan and Leon Tolksdorf way after Dunn committed to PC. We absolutely had a scholarship for him. Drummond and Dunn were initially the same year but Drummond reclassified really late in the process.

And the other guy we lost to PC was Brandon Austin, and this year we lost Chukwu to them. That's alot of guys to lose to a clearly lesser school.

We get Cassell and Robinson and this is still a great class, but at best we seem to have a 50% shot at Cassell and I'm not optimistic about Robinson at this point.

Reaction Score
His Twitter followers just dropped from 610 to 575 lol. But honestly, we don't want someone like this on our team. Ray has shown his true colors to the UConn fan base. If he would lead a head coach and national following on like that only to kick us to the side, or if he lets some crooked handler make all his decisions, then he's the weak minded player that couldn't handle us anyway. Rakim will be triple the player Kasongo ever becomes.

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out the sky is falling posts.

We lost Abu to NC State, fair enough.

I still can't figure who we lost to PC because it wasn't Kris Dunn. We had no scholarship for him. We didn't even have a scholly for Andre Drummond.

Kasongo was ours to lose and he made that quite obvious publicly. We then signed Lubin. We probably muddied the water there. Lubin is a physical freak.

We do need a great recruiter on staff. I've felt that for years now. We haven't had one in so long I can't remember who our last one was. However, I love the 3 guys we have and we aren't done yet.

Lets not be naive. We signed Lubin after the staff felt they lost out on Kasongo. Sugar coat it all you want, the fact is UConn is losing out on recruits to schools it shouldn't be.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
With all the talk about Devin Robinson, I just went to a scouting site to check him out. It says he's 6' 8", 169 lbs?? That's a typo, right??

caw

Reaction Score
What the hell is Phase1 Academy anyway? http://pointstreaksites.com/view/phase1academy/home-page-313

Are you kidding me? This is the sort of school that got Ro Russell and Xavier Rathan-Mayes in trouble in the first place.

What kind of mindless illiterate has the Canadian school system unleashed on unsuspecting Americans in the Cactus state?

Are they serious? How is this NOT going to end up in a XRM scenario? When I read caw's earlier post today about Phase1, alarm bells went off.

I don't think it was mine. I

Reaction Score
Is there any chance he went public with this "I'm leaning UConn but still might change my mind" in order to extract something (or something more) for himself or his coach? Soon after this quote there's the comment from some recruiter that Oregon has "smoothed things over" and he decides to go back to Oregon just hours later.

I'm not saying something happened but whatever. I'm ready to smell what the Rock is cookin.

Reaction Score
Huh? Kris Dunn was a freshman this past season. We signed Phil Nolan and Leon Tolksdorf way after Dunn committed to PC. We absolutely had a scholarship for him. Drummond and Dunn were initially the same year but Drummond reclassified really late in the process.

And the other guy we lost to PC was Brandon Austin, and this year we lost Chukwu to them. That's alot of guys to lose to a clearly lesser school.

We get Cassell and Robinson and this is still a great class, but at best we seem to have a 50% shot at Cassell and I'm not optimistic about Robinson at this point.

UConn did not go hard after Dunn. We had Napier and Boatright here. We were down to 10 scholarships because of sacntions. We didn't go after a PG because there was no need.

It went after Austin and Chukwu but Chukwu was clearly an inside story for PC.

caw

Reaction Score

We had no scholarship for Dunn when he committed, unless you knew Roscoe, Oriakhi and Bradley were transferring before their last season here even started. Drummond wasn't in scholarship though many predicted Lamb would go pro (thus signing Calhoun early, before Dunn was signed by PC).

Reaction Score
You must have seen this, you have been all over the forum adding ignorant comments after all...Kasongo stated that Uconn was leading yesterday.

He actually said that today.

caw

Reaction Score
Lets not be naive. We signed Lubin after the staff felt they lost out on Kasongo. Sugar coat it all you want, the fact is UConn is losing out on recruits to schools it shouldn't be.

I know nothing about Lubin aside from what his mom posted. But the above is not true at all.

Reaction Score
We have very good prospects upfront after Lubin signed. That guy who looked a bit like Jeff Adrien Colson would stock our frontcourt for 4 years. Just need wing players now.

Reaction Score
I'm all for losing out on someone who goes on twitter, begs our coach and players to follow him, than chooses another school 48 hours later.

Attention whore.
Very bizarre and immature behavior indeed. I'm personally unfollowing him, Larrier etc.. Couldn't give one crap about what these kids do going forward , only our guys.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hate to talk smack on a high school kid, but Oregon basketball? Enjoy complete and total obscurity.

Good lord...Oregon Basketball.

Oregon Basketball? wtf.

Reaction Score
This is getting bad. We've lost about 6 head to head recruiting battles in a row. Hopefully this is just a temporary dry period and not emblematic of Ollie's inability to close or damage our brand has taken.

Lubin might be a solid player, but we were basically recruiting against ourselves. There was no competition.

If we get Robinson and Cassell, things will look bright, but if we miss out of both of those, there will be justified concern around here, and not just for next year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oregon is a decent program with a solid coach and great facilities - it's not a shock, but it's part of a troubling trend.

Programs like UCF and Memphis might actually have a shine to them as they're actually stepping up into AAC.

Conversely, Uconn was a great program in a great league and the transition into the AAC puts a tarnish on 'em. They're not overcoming that drag - worse, you can see some signs of panic. (Ollie didn't even scout our last verbal.)

The conference is killing us quickly. Either you believe that or you believe Ollie is a crap recruiter.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
This is getting bad. We've lost about 6 head to head recruiting battles in a row. Hopefully this is just a temporary dry period and not emblematic of Ollie's inability to close or damage our brand has taken.

Lubin might be a solid player, but we were basically recruiting against ourselves. There was no competition.

If we get Robinson and Cassell, things will look bright, but if we miss out of both of those, there will be justified concern around here, and not just for next year.
Maybe kids are turned-off or scared off by the shear volume of kids we are involved with simultaneously? Other top programs seem to target the players they really want. Kids like to be coddled and treated as a priority rather than just one of many possible pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

Reaction Score
Maybe kids are turned-off or scared off by the shear volume of kids we are involved with simultaneously? Other top programs seem to target the players they really want. Kids like to be coddled and treated as a priority rather than just one of many possible pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

If that's the case, then it shows Ollie has a long way to go in terms of learning the subtleties of recruiting.

Reaction Score
I buy our conference hurting us, but it still confuses the hell out of me. Aren't we one tv a ton?

Reaction Score
Oregon is a decent program with a solid coach and great facilities - it's not a shock, but it's part of a troubling trend.

Programs like UCF and Memphis might actually have a shine to them as they're actually stepping up into AAC.

Conversely, Uconn was a great program in a great league and the transition into the AAC puts a tarnish on 'em. They're not overcoming that drag - worse, you can see some signs of panic. (Ollie didn't even scout our last verbal.)

The conference is killing us quickly. Either you believe that or you believe Ollie is a crap recruiter.

I disagree. College basketball is all about the coach. We lost our Hall of Fame coach and replaced him with Kevin Ollie, someone with no head coaching experience. I am an Ollie fan, but he has not proven himself as a head coach yet. Last year was a great start in my opinion, but he needs to build his coaching resume to easily attract the top prospects. This year is critically important for Ollie to establish himself as a coach.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score

We did lose those guys to PC in a sense but you left out some of essentials. Austin seemed to be favoring Uconn but KO was on a 7 month deal so he and camp passed. Chukwu's guardian made it clear from the start that he wanted Paschal to go to a small Catholic school -- UConn never had a chance -- And UConn passed on Dunn to go after a guy we now know affectionally as "RP".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom