OT: Juwan Durham update | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: Juwan Durham update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
New here huh? "RedsoxCowboys", uhgghhh rough start using those in one word!:confused:

Welcome and by the way he did show those flashes of what he could be I agree. I also wish he had played more but I'm guessing he didn't do anything to earn the time, others probably outworked him. Only a guess but I doubt KO would not a play a kid he thinks deserves to be out there. Kid when recruited was such a smart kid, seemingly a real good kid just wanted more, thought he somehow deserved more. Sucks but hey, maybe these slots make us better in the long run?
Thanks for the welcome. I bleed UConn since the Dom Perno days.

Reaction Score
Who was worse than juwan durham last yr???????????
He didn't hardly play man. I didn't mean to upset you. I should have worded it differently because you are entitled to your opinion. Based on amount of playing time, Brimah and Purvis were very disappointing.

C

Chief00

Pointing out the relative strengths and weaknesses in Brimah's game is fine. I agree with a lot of that. None of that, however, puts Durham or Enoch within light years of his overall contribution.
Maybe I am old school, but as a senior when you turn the ball over that much to me it means he didn't value the ball or each possession enough. He took the game too casually. True he was the best cheerleader we had on the bench after he broke every fundamental and got two fouls two minutes into the first half. He also seemed fine with that since he did not correct the mistakes by the next game.
Some of this was a lack of focus, not learning and a lack of core body strength that resulted in Brimah playing defense by grabbing with his hands not by maintaining position defense by his feet.
Don't get me wrong I love the kid but that's my assessment of his game. It was a big disappointment to me.

C

Chief00

The one thing he'll have at Louisville that he didn't have here, is the 2/3 zone. They'll be able to hide him down low in that system in a way that was not possible with UConn's man to man. This will significantly simplify what he has to do, and since he lacks the foot speed of a lot of guys at his position, covering one small area should help him tremendously.

I watched Enoch closely last season - I really think most of his defensive issues are an inability to quickly mentally process plays in real time not a lack of foot speed.
He never seemed sure on the hedging principles which led to doubling one guy and leaving the other wide open; and too often a teammate had to tell him what defense they were in and from there he was already a step behind the play. Poor Bigs coaching played a role too.

Reaction Score
I watched Enoch closely last season - I really think most of his defensive issues are an inability to quickly mentally process plays in real time not a lack of foot speed.
He never seemed sure on the hedging principles which led to doubling one guy and leaving the other wide open; and too often a teammate had to tell him what defense they were in and from there he was already a step behind the play. Poor Bigs coaching played a role too.

I would see him guard his own big down low then just watch as a point guard flew down the lane for an easy lay up. No hedging involved. But no help either. Once your guard defender is beaten, the big has to stop that drive to the hoop. This happened repeatedly. It was not the fault of the coaches.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What I read catching up on this thread:

KO got nothing out of VJ 's strengths and he didn't develop.

UConn would have been a better team with SE on the floor more often in 16-17

I love the kid but...is the most destructive compliment a boneyarder makes.

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe I am old school, but as a senior when you turn the ball over that much to me it means he didn't value the ball or each possession enough. He took the game too casually. True he was the best cheerleader we had on the bench after he broke every fundamental and got two fouls two minutes into the first half. He also seemed fine with that since he did not correct the mistakes by the next game.
Some of this was a lack of focus, not learning and a lack of core body strength that resulted in Brimah playing defense by grabbing with his hands not by maintaining position defense by his feet.
Don't get me wrong I love the kid but that's my assessment of his game. It was a big disappointment to me.

Amida Brimah: 50 turnovers in 814 minutes = 2.5 TOs per 40 minutes
Steve Enoch: 32 turnovers in 352 minutes = 3.6 TOs per 40 minutes

Amida Brimah: 105 personal fouls in 814 minutes = 5.2 PFs per 40 minutes
Steve Enoch: 54 personal fouls in 352 minutes = 6.1 PFs per 40 minutes

Amida Brimah: 50 turnovers against 157 field goal attempts = 1 TO per 4.1 touches
Steve Enoch: 32 turnovers against 83 field goal attempts = 1 TO per 3.6 touches

Amida Brimah: 8 assists, 50 turnovers, A/TO = 0.16
Steve Enoch: 4 assists, 32 turnovers, A/TO = 0.12

Sure Amida was bad on these metrics, but Steve was worse. This casual fan doesn't see why you think Steve should have played over Amida.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He didn't hardly play man. I didn't mean to upset you. I should have worded it differently because you are entitled to your opinion. Based on amount of playing time, Brimah and Purvis were very disappointing.

Agree about Brimah. Purvis played hard early, but his shot wasn't falling. But the Purvis of the second half of the season was one of the better players in the conference.

Reaction Score

It is truly amazing how little you are able to stay on point during a disagreement. I don't know of anyone who wasn't disappointed with Brimah's senior year. I certainly was disappointed in it.

none of that has anything to do with either Enoch or Durham having been ready or able to, all things considered, have given us anything near as much on the floor.

Reaction Score
It wasn't like the coaches were going to change those guys into HOF players. I feel badly for Facey, wish he had another year, but the rest had way too many flaws to be competitive against good competition.

Reaction Score

Anyone who watched more than ten seconds of Enoch last season could recognize that his problem was not knowing where the hell he was supposed to be or what the hell he was supposed to be doing rather than athleticism. Quite frankly, I'm glad that even a casual fan like you could pick that up.

C

Chief00

It is truly amazing how little you are able to stay on point during a disagreement. I don't know of anyone who wasn't disappointed with Brimah's senior year. I certainly was disappointed in it.

none of that has anything to do with either Enoch or Durham having been ready or able to, all things considered, have given us anything near as much on the floor.
Well, to your point, I guess Pitino thinks Steve is ready and look at the high D1 schools recruiting Juana. That's the end result. I was attempting to break down the mechanics that derived that result vs Brimah performance on a basically 500 AAC team.

Reaction Score
@Kembacity , always meant to ask: Is it intended to be "Kemba city," or "Kembacity," i.e., one word, like "audacity?"

I kind of love this, I've wondered if people were thinking I go by Kemba City, but it is 100% intended to be Kembacity like audacity, as in basketball skills that we all want in a guy suiting up in our blue and white. I'd say Kembacity is a lot of clutch shooting, heart, will, and with it all exuding the joy of playing the game. Shabazz and Boat had a lot of kembacity

Reaction Score
Well, to your point, I guess Pitino thinks Steve is ready and look at the high D1 schools recruiting Juana. That's the end result. I was attempting to break down the mechanics that derived that result vs Brimah performance on a basically 500 AAC team.

Like I said in another thread, Pitino also took his current bigs from last year. Ask Louisville posters about them. "Can't play D." "Can't even make a layup."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I kind of love this, I've wondered if people were thinking I go by Kemba City, but it is 100% intended to be Kembacity like audacity, as in basketball skills that we all want in a guy suiting up in our blue and white. I'd say Kembacity is a lot of clutch shooting, heart, will, and with it all exuding the joy of playing the game. Shabazz and Boat had a lot of kembacity
You should get that to him and his people. I like it better than "Kardiac Kemba."

Reaction Score

Agreed and I've said it on many occasions. Fans can debate his potential and skill all they want but when the speed of the game at the AAC level, whether mental or physical, bothers you then you're in trouble as a player.

C

Chief00

Anyone who watched more than ten seconds of Enoch last season could recognize that his problem was not knowing where the hell he was supposed to be or what the hell he was supposed to be doing rather than athleticism. Quite frankly, I'm glad that even a casual fan like you could pick that up.
We agree on that about Enoch.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
You should get that to him and his people. I like it better than "Kardiac Kemba."

I always thought it was unclear as well, but I went with Kemba City. Mostly cuz it's easier to say.

I love Kembacity, but much like the legendary scene in That Thing You Do, it's too confusing.

Wonders were gonna be "Oneders" but, as the drummer pointed out, "looks like Oh-needers."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom