OT Jackie BradleyJr | Page 18 | The Boneyard

OT Jackie BradleyJr

Reaction Score
yup. I do. Loved the Kiev.

Remember Nightengales?
I don't remember Nightengales but it was a steady dose of CBGB's, Great Guildersleeves, Max's, and I was lucky to witness U2's first US performance at the Ritz on East 11th 1980.

Holy crap, the Pyramid is still open. Unbelievable.
Pyramid Club

Reaction Score
Again, this is coming from somebody who doesn't even particularly like Boston all that much.

Well, if you want to redefine city, then fine. But Boston has as many people as Sydney Australia, and I'd definitely consider that a major international city. One of the best in the world actually (8 years living there).

Boston pricing is out of this world to be sure. More expensive than NYC the last I checked. A lot of that is do to increased demand, which goes against your first point a bit.

But you do get way more there. Given similar cost in rent, you might have a small apt in Boston, but you are getting a shoe box in NYC.

Tell that to people around the world who flock to Boston for educational purposes. It's probably number one in the entire world as far as education/research goes. And growing in terms of companies/incubators that contribute to or benefit from those research hubs. It's a great walking city too. Comparatively beautiful.

Philly above Boston? hahahah Philly is a crap hole. That's coming from someone who was born there, and entire family still lives in DelCo. Seattle? Ask @FriarJ. I personally like Miami, so no comment. Wouldn't really want to live there, but I like it.
Boston isn't a world class city no matter how much you may want to think it is, it's not. It's a nice small city and I mentioned Universities/colleges are it's strength but it just doesn't have the cultural things the much bigger world class cities have. While none of it is bad, the museums aren't at that level, the theater isn't at that level, the downtown architecture isn't at that level, skyline is much more Hartford than it is Chicago or Manhattan, and the food pales in comparison. When I was there this summer I actually tried to say nice things about the food to a chef I was hanging out with and he just laughed and said, "stop, our food scene is embarrassing."

Again, Boston has some really nice things going for it but it should just never be compared to NYC. Obviously NY isn't for everyone but it offers so much more than Boston does that any comparison is foolish. If you want something a tenth the size, that is way quieter and more manageable than Boston might be for you. I like Chicago because to me it's the best of both worlds. It doesn't offer everything NYC does but it offers most of it and it is way cheaper, more manageable, costs nothing to have a car etc. Close to 3 million people but it's a neighborhood city. You have big bustling city while also feeling like you're in a town at times.

Reaction Score
Again, this is coming from somebody who doesn't even particularly like Boston all that much.

Well, if you want to redefine 'city', then fine. But Boston has as many people as Sydney Australia, and I'd definitely consider that a major international city. One of the best in the world actually (8 years living there).

Boston pricing is out of this world to be sure. More expensive than NYC the last I checked. A lot of that is do to increased demand, which goes against your first point a bit.

But you do get way more there. Given similar cost in rent, you might have a small apt in Boston, but you are getting a shoe box in NYC.

Tell that to people around the world who flock to Boston for educational purposes. It's probably number one in the entire world as far as education/research goes. And growing in terms of companies/incubators that contribute to or benefit from those research hubs. It's a great walking city too. Comparatively beautiful.

Philly above Boston? hahahah Philly is a crap hole. That's coming from someone who was born there, and entire family still lives in DelCo. Seattle? Ask @FriarJ. I personally like Miami, so no comment. Wouldn't really want to live there, but I like it.
Boston isn't more expensive than Manhattan. You still pay like a grand more a month for a 1 bedroom in Manhattan. The point is Boston just isn't good bang for your buck for what the city offers you, Manhattan isn't either IMO.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Come on, that's an easy one. Not a world class city but the sports teams are world class.

Yeah, but it's still one of the hottest of hot button topics on the Yard.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Boston isn't a world class city no matter how much you may want to think it is, it's not. It's a nice small city and I mentioned Universities/colleges are it's strength but it just doesn't have the cultural things the much bigger world class cities have. While none of it is bad, the museums aren't at that level, the theater isn't at that level, the downtown architecture isn't at that level, skyline is much more Hartford than it is Chicago or Manhattan, and the food pales in comparison. When I was there this summer I actually tried to say nice things about the food to a chef I was hanging out with and he just laughed and said, "stop, our food scene is embarrassing."

Again, Boston has some really nice things going for it but it should just never be compared to NYC. Obviously NY isn't for everyone but it offers so much more than Boston does that any comparison is foolish. If you want something a tenth the size, that is way quieter and more manageable than Boston might be for you. I like Chicago because to me it's the best of both worlds. It doesn't offer everything NYC does but it offers most of it and it is way cheaper, more manageable, costs nothing to have a car etc. Close to 3 million people but it's a neighborhood city. You have big bustling city while also feeling like you're in a town at times.

While I get the point you are trying to make, that Boston does have a town-like feel (it does), and you're not wrong, I'm saying that size doesn't necessarily determine world class. I'm also saying that's a pretty narrow definition of world class city.

My example of Sydney proves this point -- 4.5m people. And Sydney is world class. Easily a Top 10 city in the world, sometimes Top 5.. It also has a low skyline, as they don't allow anybody to build upwards. Just out.

I guess we have different definitions of 'world class', because I wouldn't use populace or footprint as my main metrics. By your defintion, neither Berlin (3.5m) nor Munich would be in consideration.

My point about education/research, especially in the medical field, is that this draw, easily the greatest in the world, makes Boston world class on it's own. But that's jmo. Different cities have different strengths, even among the 'world class' group. Being able to walk and having nice outdoors spaces and a river and sea front add to the 'class' of the city, not subtract from it. And as you say, the sports are superlative.

There are a number of things that are soft about Boston. Culinary is not very good comparatively speaking. The pizza blows for instance. Can get very few good burgers (Craigie On Main is the go). Cultural scene is meh. Music scene blows. I think the people are largely forgettable. Obv expensive. etc

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Boston isn't more expensive than Manhattan. You still pay like a grand more a month for a 1 bedroom in Manhattan. The point is Boston just isn't good bang for your buck for what the city offers you, Manhattan isn't either IMO.

Manhattan isn't all NYC. It's just a section. It'd be like comparing to Back Bay or something in Boston.

And for the record, the Boston expensive comment I made was from a couple years ago. Boston jumped to number 2 behind San Fran on a lot of lists. It now appears to have fallen again to the 3-6 range (behind San Fran and NY).

You do get more bang for your buck in Boston. A bit harder to get around though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I get the point you are trying to make, that Boston does have a town-like feel (it does), and you're not wrong, I'm saying that size doesn't necessarily determine world class. I'm also saying that's a pretty narrow definition of world class city.

My example of Sydney proves this point -- 4.5m people. And Sydney is world class. Easily a Top 10 city in the world, sometimes Top 5.. It also has a low skyline, as they don't allow anybody to build upwards. Just out.

I guess we have different definitions of 'world class', because I wouldn't use populace or footprint as my main metrics. By your defintion, neither Berlin (3.5m) nor Munich would be in consideration.

My point about education/research, especially in the medical field, is that this draw, easily the greatest in the world, makes Boston world class on it's own. But that's jmo. Different cities have different strengths, even among the 'world class' group. Being able to walk and having nice outdoors spaces and a river and sea front add to the 'class' of the city, not subtract from it. And as you say, the sports are superlative.

There are a number of things that are soft about Boston. Culinary is not very good comparatively speaking. The pizza blows for instance. Can get very few good burgers (Craigie On Main is the go). Cultural scene is meh. Music scene blows. I think the people are largely forgettable. Obv expensive. etc

Counter point: Boston is the Hub of the Universe

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Counter point: Boston is the Hub of the Universe

lol There's probably at least 20 cities world wide I'd rather live. There's about 100 places I'd rather live than New England.

Reaction Score
It seems like we just can't have these conversations without people going absurdly overboard.

"World class city" or not, no one whose opinion matters thinks this . . . This is not Rochester we're talking about.

When I was there this summer I actually tried to say nice things about the food to a chef I was hanging out with and he just laughed and said, "stop, our food scene is embarrassing."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Its for worse.

and LOL @ the way this thread went. I cant believe how many pansies we have on here.

I lived on Avenue B in the 80's. I was there for the Tompkins Square riot.

Manhattan is freaking disneyland now.

I lived on 10th and 3rd for 7 years. The day the Second Avenue Deli became a Chase was a day that will live in infamy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is ridiculous in the extreme. Boston has long been my favorite city, but you know what, it is beginning to lose that designation. Over development, too many skyscrapers going up, traffic has gotten worse, as has parking. NY has long been my least favorite city, can't stand to be there for more than a few hours really. Sao Paulo claimed #1 on that list from NY due to the extreme crime.

The reality is that Boston is growing too rapidly, becoming more like NY and losing the charm. I will agree with you that Chicago is the best of the "very large" U.S. cities. But generally, smaller cities offer more. Nobody needs to go to museums often, or the ballet, or the opera. That stuff exists for tourists. It doesn't impact people's day to day lives. Boston has nice museums, the MFA is superb, the science museum is great for kids, and the BSO and Pops are very good. Theater is "off Broadway", which is what you get in any major U.S. city that isn't NY. No different than Chicago or LA. I have no interest in 5* restaurants. I want a good local pizza place and a burrito/taco joint.

If I had to pick a favorite right now it would probably be Ediburgh, but they really need to do better picking up trash. Savannah, Georgia is great, and Charleston, SC though it is getting expensive. New Orleans is wonderful except for the crime and humidity. It has food and music that I can actually eat an enjoy. My weekend nights out are best enjoyed if I'm wearing shorts or jeans. If I need a sports coat or God-forbid, a tie, I am not enjoying myself.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous in the extreme. Boston has long been my favorite city........ have no interest in 5* restaurants. I want a good local pizza place and a burrito/taco joint.

fwiw Boston really lags in these two departments imo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
fwiw Boston really lags in these two departments imo.

When I lived in Southie a great Mexican place opened up less than a block away. Real authentic stuff, from the Caribbean side of the country cooked by a Mexican woman who had recently come to the States. Pizza was not great in that neighborhood, but is fine in some parts of Boston. I don't hold out New Haven level pizza as some kind of requirement, because almost nobody has that.

In any event, every city involves a series of trade-offs. Bigger is not better than smaller or vice versa. A museum is not better than a bar with good live music or vice versa. A Michelin starred French restaurant isn't more useful than a burrito joint (and is almost certainly much less useful).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom