OT Jackie BradleyJr | Page 20 | The Boneyard

OT Jackie BradleyJr

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I feel like I've heard pretty good things about their high-end dining scene as well.

You know what? I'll grant that I don't know about the 'high end' scene there. So my perspective is limited by that. My family is mostly meat and potatoes. Hoagies, cheese steaks and the like are the go here.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When I lived in Southie a great Mexican place opened up less than a block away. Real authentic stuff, from the Caribbean side of the country cooked by a Mexican woman who had recently come to the States.

For years (80s-late 90s) the late, lamented Forest Cafe in Cambridge was a better Mexican restaurant than anyplace I was familiar with in NYC. Popular tastes forced it to change into the standard "brown stuff in a tortilla/frijoles/yellow tinged rice combo plate" in the late 90s and it closed a few years later. But for more than a decade, that place served the closest thing to "authentic" Mexican east of Chicago.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Mostly correct. The Hot Dogs and Baked Beans are certainly wrong.

I'd agree on dogs (Chicago) and beans (Carolinas, maybe even KC in 1/2). Outside of the standard cheeses, I'd probably put Cali ahead of NE and WI. Not sure about donuts overall (because Orem's), but DD's are not very good.

Reaction Score
Philly has become a real foodie city in recent years and they've always done sandwiches better than any other place.

Philadelphia is a great food town, but Boston is as well - I think most people would put them among the most exciting cities for food these days. (Although, of course, Los Angeles over everywhere else.)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Philadelphia is a great food town, but Boston is as well - I think most people would put them among the most exciting cities for food these days. (Although, of course, Los Angeles over everywhere else.)

"Most exciting"? Perhaps due to all the fusion concepts and even their quick serve stuff (e.g. In n Out). But I'd still put Chicago and SF ahead of LA for "best". They both handle traditional/modern Euro-centric a lot better IMO and the Bay Area especially nails Asian. Plus, I still think Chicago handles non-taco/burrito Mexican better than LA.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yikes. Fluffer nutters, Dunkin Donuts, and Woopie pies.

I'm with you on that 100%.

Also, icecream is a dubious call at best. Ben & Jerry's is fine, with a lot of creative flavors, but I've had tons of better creams in my day.

And bread rolls? Come on. How the hell could anyone corner the market on those.

I think Wisconsin would have a bone to pick on the Cheese call too.

And so on and so on.....

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
"Most exciting"? Perhaps due to all the fusion concepts and even their quick serve stuff (e.g. In n Out). But I'd still put Chicago and SF ahead for "best". They both handle traditional/modern Euro-centric a lot better IMO and the Bay Area especially nails Asian. Plus, I still think Chicago handles non-taco/burrito Mexican better than LA.

It obviously depends what you consider 'most exciting', but if I'm talking best food towns, there's a whole lotta cities down south that would rate quite highly.

Charleston for example is awesome.

Reaction Score
"Most exciting"? Perhaps due to all the fusion concepts and even their quick serve stuff (e.g. In n Out). But I'd still put Chicago and SF ahead of LA for "best". They both handle traditional/modern Euro-centric a lot better IMO and the Bay Area especially nails Asian. Plus, I still think Chicago handles non-taco/burrito Mexican better than LA.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the bay does not do asian better than Los Angeles. Sorry. That's ridiculous. I won't even touch the Mexican comment.

Reaction Score
LA is great but we all know Chicago is the best food city. Portland, Maine has Boston beat.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the bay does not do asian better than Los Angeles. Sorry. That's ridiculous. I won't even touch the Mexican comment.

West Coast Mexican, while good, doesn't touch places down south like Texas, imho

intlzncster

Reaction Score
LA is great but we all know Chicago is the best food city. Portland, Maine has Boston beat.

That may or may not be true, but Portland is really on the come. It's an awesome food town.

Happens to specialize in a lot of the same things as Boston, both being coastal NE areas. It just does seafood and the like better, as you'd expect being located in Maine.

I actually think Boston is a bit overrated in the seafood dept. It should be better than it is. Personal opinion there i know.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
JBJ would need to chime in on best food cities to make this circle complete. Maybe just 3 full plates and he can unload them?

The food discussion is more heated than the baseball one :D

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'm guessing you never lived in Mexico, nor have cooked professionally, especially Latin American. I have. LA does tacos/burritos just fine. Once you get past that... well.

Your tastes are your tastes. I disagree on a number of levels.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom