OT Jackie BradleyJr | Page 21 | The Boneyard

OT Jackie BradleyJr

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you never lived in Mexico. I have. LA does tacos/burritos just fine. Once you get past that... well.

I mean, cool story I suppose? That you lived in Mexico? I guess that settles it. This is a debate that I'd actually like having (minus your condescension) but unfortunately I've got a busy day today. We can probably just agree to disagree.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Again, to each his own. Personally, I can't imagine preferring Tex-Mex to actual Mexican food but some people like ketchup so who knows.

I do like ketchup, but I also like spice, Tex-mex has more of the latter.

Actual Mexican food is fairly bland, from the stuff I've tried down there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd agree on dogs (Chicago) and beans (Carolinas, maybe even KC in 1/2). Outside of the standard cheeses, I'd probably put Cali ahead of NE and WI. Not sure about donuts overall (because Orem's), but DD's are not very good.

Being from KC, they easily beat Boston on beans. Cheese? I lived in CA and have a place in Vermont, Vermont destroys California on cheese. And Wisconsin is a distant third. Agree Chicago is the hot dog location to beat.

Reaction Score

What the??? Actual Mexican food may be my favorite food in the world and is anything but bland.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What the??? Actual Mexican food may be my favorite food in the world and is anything but bland.

There is no "Mexican Food". There are a range of styles and regional approaches. Just like the USA. We all know this, including both of you. I see merits to all of it, including "Tex Mex", which was certainly not unpopular in CA when I lived there.

Reaction Score
There is no "Mexican Food". There are a range of styles and regional approaches. Just like the USA. We all know this, including both of you. I see merits to all of it, including "Tex Mex", which was certainly not unpopular in CA when I lived there.
He said actual Mexican food down there. He was referring to food in Mexico. Of course there are different regional styles but to say the food of Mexico is bland is crazy.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Hmmm. I spent months camping/surfing on the Baja peninsula and didn't find it remotely as hot and spicy as Tex-Mex. Maybe it's regional. Or maybe I have different tolerance? idk

I've spent little time elsewhere except just south of the Texas border.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hmmm. I spent months camping/surfing on the Baja peninsula and didn't find it remotely as hot and spicy as Tex-Mex. Maybe it's regional. Or maybe I have different tolerance? idk

I've spent little time elsewhere except just south of the Texas border.

It's not. The stuff on Caribbean side/Yucatan is similarly different than what is served in north central Mexico, and I am sure Mexico City area is different too. I am not sure "bland" is the right word, but subtle and mild would properly describe the Pacific Baja region stuff I've had. Lots of fish.

Reaction Score
Portland, Maine has Boston beat.
Portland's sea-food scene is bonkers. Best oysters I've ever had.

Other than that, the food is about as good as Boston's, maybe a little worse, but at a much better price point.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's not. The stuff on Caribbean side/Yucatan is similarly different than what is served in north central Mexico, and I am sure Mexico City area is different too. I am not sure "bland" is the right word, but subtle and mild would properly describe the Pacific Baja region stuff I've had. Lots of fish.

OK, that's a better description. 'Bland' is kinda pejorative, when I actually enjoyed the fare down there. It's also more seafood heavy as you say.

I thought I was going crazy there for a minute with SJ's response.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Depends where you are regarding bland. It's certainly not all spicy hot, in fact little of it is. In fact, typical dinner resembles more of what a 60s mom in the US made than what's served at typical "Mexican" restaurants. But they get nuanced flavor and can coax a ton of flavor out of "peasant" food. Think of pozole as the Mexican pot-au-feu. Now, Honduran food... that's pretty dull once you're off the coastline.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Eventide is fantastic. The food is very good. Great beer scene, too. Also, the Hunt & Alpine Club is a great place for cocktails.

One downside is that the city is closed up pretty early. But it's nice and compact, so it's easy to get to everything.

And nobody in Portland has real jobs. They all work in foodservice :p

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Pretty good list. I might bump DC up a bit though. jmo

Mine would include Charleston, Austin, and maybe Nashville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom