OT Jackie BradleyJr | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT Jackie BradleyJr

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
NYC might not be for you but this is a laughably ridiculous take.

What, you went once in the 80s and some homeless guy touched you and you're now scarred for life?

I ride the subway every day. Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you watched The Warriors and confused that with an actual experience?

Not the eighties no. Even a lot of native New Yorkers think it's a shitehole, including a number of friends. They continue to live there because it's home, and it's almost a badge of honor.

NYC subway is dirty as hell, at least compared to most in the first world. Classic:

1540154037854.png

How NYC is dealing with the growing number of serial subway perverts - NY Daily News

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is not at all congruous with the 4+ years I spent there...

Interesting, apparently a growing number of subway perverts are becoming a problem.

One of my favorite things is seeing vids of disgusting people doing gross things on the NYC subway.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This article proves nothing but it makes me laugh nonetheless:

When You Breathe On The Subway, You Breathe Human Skin

The next time you're waiting the endless wait for the Sunday night G train, take a big, deep breath. Yes, there's urine, mingling gently with the stench of sour trash, but there's something else—something you can't quite put a finger on. Ah, yes, you know that scent: The unmistakeable fragrance of human flesh. Eau de Epidermis.

Reaction Score
Payroll talk is so boring. Since we have to with those stupid NL rules out in LA who sits? Mookie at 2nd maybe?

Depends who is on the mound for LA. If they have a lefty starting then I think JBJ sits, Betts CF, and JDM RF. If they start a righty then Kinsler sits, Betts 2B, and JDM RF.

Reaction Score
Interesting, apparently a growing number of subway perverts are becoming a problem.

One of my favorite things is seeing vids of disgusting people doing gross things on the NYC subway.

NYC has become more and more of an absolute craphole since Deblasio took over as mayor! The streets are filled with the stench of urine and feces, you have to step over junkies sleeping on the sidewalk, the parks are filled with drug dealers, the subway is an absolute battleground, and don't even get me started on tourist areas like Times Square.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
NYC has become more and more of an absolute craphole since Deblasio took over as mayor! The streets are filled with the stench of urine and feces, you have to step over junkies sleeping on the sidewalk, the parks are filled with drug dealers, the subway is an absolute battleground, and don't even get me started on tourist areas like Times Square.

You have not been to New York City in 30+ years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
NYC might not be for you but this is a laughably ridiculous take.

What, you went once in the 80s and some homeless guy touched you and you're now scarred for life?

I ride the subway every day. Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you watched The Warriors and confused that with an actual experience?

Had an older sister who graduated from Fordham take her daughter up to NYC a few weeks ago to see the city and see if she was interested in going to college in a big city environment. Showed her daughter where she interned while in school and where she started her career. Daughter was turned off by watching junkies shoot up in city parks in the middle of the day. This was 3 weeks ago.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Had an older sister who graduated from Fordham take her daughter up to NYC a few weeks ago to see the city and see if she was interested in going to college in a big city environment. Showed her daughter where she interned while in school and where she started her career. Daughter was turned off by watching junkies shoot up in city parks in the middle of the day. This was 3 weeks ago.

Well that's disturbing, but I'm not sure where they were. Fordham's in the Bronx. I've lived here since 1999 and have never seen a person shoot up. Not one. I have seen obvious junkies but since my first day here I've been street smart enough to know where to go and where not to go and where to look and where not to look. I lived in the Village, the East Village and Lower East side for 14 years, so it's not like I haven't seen the city's underbelly. It's just not that bad. It's not 1977. For better or worse, Manhattan has become almost entirely gentrified.

It's a city with 8.6 million people, 1.7 in Manhattan. One billion people pass through the subway every year. So yes, there are garbage bags on the street. There are weirdos on the subway. There are homeless people who stink of urine. It happens.

There are also the best restaurants in the world, the best museums, the best shows, the best musicians, the best minds in finance, law, fashion, etc., a gigantic collection of interesting people who come from every corner of the world.

Like I said, it's not for everyone. It's very expensive. It's not the place to be if you value quiet, hate crowds, or need a lot of personal space. To me, the nice Connecticut town I grew up in doesn't hold a candle to it. Yet I don't go around telling people who live in the suburbs or rural areas that I'd be bored to death in their podunk town, (I'm replying to your post, CD, but that's not aimed at you. I know you're just repeating an anecdote.)

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

If you've lived here, like I have, you'd know it's always been a problem. When you have millions of people crammed into subway cars, it's a great opportunity for flashers and gropers. But it's not a new or growing problem.

From the article you posted:

Instead, the police attribute the spike to other factors — a stepped-up campaign with the MTA urging the public to report subway sex crimes and the proliferation of smartphones making it easier to catch creeps in the act. Ford and other experts agree that these circumstances likely add to the surge in cases.

Do you think that New York is less safe than it was 20+ years ago?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
For better or worse, Manhattan has become almost entirely gentrified.

Its for worse.

and LOL @ the way this thread went. I cant believe how many pansies we have on here.

I lived on Avenue B in the 80's. I was there for the Tompkins Square riot.

Manhattan is freaking disneyland now.

Reaction Score
Jealous how? I'm willing to bet 95% of Boston residents would not live in NYC if given the choice. Boston ain't perfect by any measure, but let's face it, NYC's a shitehole. Good to visit and experience some culture, but to live full time? Nah thanks I'm good

And hating on your opposition is one of the BEST things about sports. Without hated enemies it's boring. Celebrating in a vacuum blows.

Everytime UCONN wins a championship, one of my first thoughts is 'suck it Syracuse'... And it gives me immense pleasure everytime
Please don't compare the city of Boston to NYC. Boston is basically a town compared to NYC. Boston is a nice smallish city with things like colleges and history going for it but it absolutely pales in comparison to a place like NYC and I don't even like NYC all that much anymore. Wouldn't want to live in either of them but I really don't see any sort of bang for your buck considering what you pay in Boston and what you actually get.

There are three world class cities in the US- NYC, LA, and Chicago. San Fran is right there but still Tier 2 along with DC. Boston could be in that next grouping with Seattle, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, and Philly but I put Seattle, Miami and Philly above it.

Reaction Score

This is an absolutely insane take. Manhattan is basically like an outdoor shopping mall for the uber rich these days.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s amazing how this thread basically turned into 7th grade homeroom.

Anyway, arguing over which city is better is totally ridiculous. Some people prefer places like Boston and others prefer places like NYC.

That lifestyle choice is kind of the root of the rivalry, if you think about it, isn’t it?

I obviously prefer one way of life over the other, but saying the other is totally wrong is just silly.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I should preface this with: I don't even like Boston that much. It's not in the top 10 cities I'd live in (of the ones I've been for more than a few weeks). So I'm not barracking for Boston at all.

There are also the best restaurants in the world, the best museums, the best shows, the best musicians, the best minds in finance, law, fashion, etc., a gigantic collection of interesting people who come from every corner of the world.

That's a view. only a New Yorker could take:
Best fashion cities: Paris and Milan​
Best Museums: Athens/Rome/Paris rate just as highly. No where on the planet compares to the Louvre.​
Best Food cities: Tokyo, Paris, Barcelona/Madrid/San Sebastian, Lima all consistently rate higher than NYC. Perhaps NYC has the most diverse culinary options, but we are talking best here.​
Best Music: It might struggle to be in the top 5 in the US, never mind the world. Austin, Nashville, New Orleans, and some toss up of Memphis/Seattle/Atlanta/Chicago.​
Finance:​
Shows: I've no idea but I imagine some European cities compare quite favorably.​
Law: I've no idea​
Universities: No. Boston absolutely crushes NYC.​

What you could say is it might have the best collection of all those things together. I'm not gonna do the research though.

Like I said, it's not for everyone. It's very expensive. It's not the place to be if you value quiet, hate crowds, or need a lot of personal space. To me, the nice Connecticut town I grew up in doesn't hold a candle to it. Yet I don't go around telling people who live in the suburbs or rural areas that I'd be bored to death in their podunk town, (I'm replying to your post, CD, but that's not aimed at you. I know you're just repeating an anecdote.)

Agreed on CT towns. Boring as all get out from somebody who was raised in one. CT mostly blows.

I will say that, it's universally acknowledged that NYers are a tough breed. Which is commendable. But it also bolsters my point that it is a tough place to live.

I spoke about air quality in another post, and it jogged my memory of something I posted elsewhere. NOT using this to make a point at all, but just a friendly PSA, as you obviously live in NYC:

Just made me think of it, but a PSA for those who spent time working in that area of NYC in the aftermath:
You should get yourself regularly screened for cancer. Even if you were in an office, school, or what have you. The air was truly toxic for months.
Obviously always best to catch it early if you can.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If you've lived here, like I have, you'd know it's always been a problem. When you have millions of people crammed into subway cars, it's a great opportunity for flashers and gropers. But it's not a new or growing problem.

From the article you posted:

Instead, the police attribute the spike to other factors — a stepped-up campaign with the MTA urging the public to report subway sex crimes and the proliferation of smartphones making it easier to catch creeps in the act. Ford and other experts agree that these circumstances likely add to the surge in cases.

Do you think that New York is less safe than it was 20+ years ago?

It's not about safety nomar, it's about gross people. NYC subway is gross. I've been all over the world, and it's one of the dirtiest/grossest I'm been on around the world.

Even third world countries like Columbia have way nicer/cleaner public transport.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Again, this is coming from somebody who doesn't even particularly like Boston all that much.

Please don't compare the city of Boston to NYC. Boston is basically a town compared to NYC. Boston is a nice smallish city with things like colleges and history going for it but it absolutely pales in comparison to a place like NYC and I don't even like NYC all that much anymore

Well, if you want to redefine 'city', then fine. But Boston has as many people as Sydney Australia, and I'd definitely consider that a major international city. One of the best in the world actually (8 years living there).

Wouldn't want to live in either of them but I really don't see any sort of bang for your buck considering what you pay in Boston and what you actually get.

Boston pricing is out of this world to be sure. More expensive than NYC the last I checked. A lot of that is do to increased demand, which goes against your first point a bit.

But you do get way more there. Given similar cost in rent, you might have a small apt in Boston, but you are getting a shoe box in NYC.

There are three world class cities in the US- NYC, LA, and Chicago. San Fran is right there but still Tier 2 along with DC. Boston could be in that next grouping with Seattle, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, and Philly but I put Seattle, Miami and Philly above it.

Tell that to people around the world who flock to Boston for educational purposes. It's probably number one in the entire world as far as education/research goes. And growing in terms of companies/incubators that contribute to or benefit from those research hubs. It's a great walking city too. Comparatively beautiful.

Philly above Boston? hahahah Philly is a crap hole. That's coming from someone who was born there, and entire family still lives in DelCo. Seattle? Ask @FriarJ. I personally like Miami, so no comment. Wouldn't really want to live there, but I like it.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s amazing how this thread basically turned into 7th grade homeroom.

Anyway, arguing over which city is better is totally ridiculous. Some people prefer places like Boston and others prefer places like NYC.

That lifestyle choice is kind of the root of the rivalry, if you think about it, isn’t it?

I obviously prefer one way of life over the other, but saying the other is totally wrong is just silly.

Piss off Guapito. I'm enjoying myself. :D

Reaction Score
Its for worse.

and LOL @ the way this thread went. I cant believe how many pansies we have on here.

Whoa, alphabet city! Not for the weak. I was on East 13th off 3rd Ave. in the 80's. Remember the Pyramid Club? Kiev Diner at 2:00AM sitting next to Klaus Nomi. Good times.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Who said anything about being a pansy*. I just like to live in sweet places.

*I'm probably one of the least on here in terms of this sort of thing. I would rather live on Avenue B in the 80s than Manhattan 2018 all day.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Whoa, alphabet city! Not for the weak. I was on East 13th off 3rd Ave. in the 80's. Remember the Pyramid Club? Kiev Diner at 2:00AM sitting next to Klaus Nomi. Good times.

yup. I do. Loved the Kiev.

Remember Nightengales?

Yeah the alphabets were pretty gritty back then. And a ton of fun. Was the last of the cheap rent places in Manhattan plus all the squats.
Because of that you still had musicians and artists living there, along with wall st types and then the huge tenements on D. Quite a diverse place and it was very "alive"

Reaction Score
I should preface this with: I don't even like Boston that much. It's not in the top 10 cities I'd live in (of the ones I've been for more than a few weeks). So I'm not barracking for Boston at all.

That's a view. only a New Yorker could take:
Best fashion cities: Paris and Milan​
Best Museums: Athens/Rome/Paris rate just as highly. No where on the planet compares to the Louvre.​
Best Food cities: Tokyo, Paris, Barcelona/Madrid/San Sebastian, Lima all consistently rate higher than NYC. Perhaps NYC has the most diverse culinary options, but we are talking best here.​
Best Music: It might struggle to be in the top 5 in the US, never mind the world. Austin, Nashville, New Orleans, and some toss up of Memphis/Seattle/Atlanta/Chicago.​
Finance:​
Shows: I've no idea but I imagine some European cities compare quite favorably.​
Law: I've no idea​
Universities: No. Boston absolutely crushes NYC.​

What you could say is it might have the best collection of all those things together. I'm not gonna do the research though.

Sports: Boston > NY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom