OT Jackie BradleyJr | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT Jackie BradleyJr

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Excellent point. I do love a good argument.

Depends on the team. There are generally only 10 games in regular season where an NL team would use a Dan Hurley, but in Pirates case this year, those DHs accounted for a .349 OBP/.436 SLG/.785 OPS, which is better than the AL mean performance for DHs.

Some guys can't handle it as its an unfamiliar role with a specific mindset. OTOH, a guy like Kyle Schwarber and his .980 career OPS as a Dan Hurley seem perfectly suited to it. Since he sucks as an OF, some AL team should grab that guy.
Which is why I conditioned my statement with "By and large." 10 regular season games plus another handful should the team make it to the end of October is a tiny sample size. My guess is, those numbers regress to the norm with more exposure.

Also Schwarber really isn't that great of a hitter. He's hit 56 HRs over the last two years, but he's also K'ed nearly 300 times, while walking less than 140. He also has no speed. I thought you wanted more stealing? ;)

In fantasy baseball, I don't look at how often a player strikes out, but in real life, Ks in a big spot are pretty demoralizing. I'd imagine you agree.

Reaction Score
I don't care about whether or not it is efficient. I care about whether it is exciting. You can make it "efficient" by, say, limiting the total number of pitching changes a team can make in a game. Or by making rules that change the calculus around the shift. Things like that.

Having the pitcher up changes how offenses function around the fact that there is a near automatic out. It introduces a different strategy.
I personally think coming up with rules to do away with the shift is the dumbest idea. It’s changing a natural part of the game.

I think the real problem with shifts is from a hitters perspective. It seems that all these dead pull hitters don’t want to make any adjustments. Some of the power hitters can be successful by hitting over the shift, but others should adapt by, I don’t know, learning to go with a pitch and hit to all fields (which should be a fundamental skill in baseball, especially at the major league level). I mean, when all 4 infielders are right of second base, and a hitter hits into that shift repeatedly, that’s not an mlb rules problem, that’s good coaching (from the fielding team) and stubborn hitting.

Look at some of the best hitters in baseball, mike trout, mookie, yelich, and Charlie Blackmon. These guys have the ability to hit to all fields in addition to pulling long home runs. So teams don’t have shift on them..

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Which is why I conditioned my statement with "By and large." 10 regular season games plus another handful should the team make it to the end of October is a tiny sample size. My guess is, those numbers regress to the norm with more exposure.

Also Schwarber really isn't that great of a hitter. He's hit 56 HRs over the last two years, but he's also K'ed nearly 300 times, while walking less than 140. He also has no speed. I thought you wanted more stealing? ;)

In fantasy baseball, I don't look at how often a player strikes out, but in real life, Ks in a big spot are pretty demoralizing. I'd imagine you agree.

But I'm sending Schwarber over to Q's three true outcomes league, so it doesn't matter.:D

Reaction Score
A universal Dan Hurley is coming,pitchers hitting is dumb at one time quarterbacks played defense so let's have tom Brady play linebacker or defensive back.

Husky25

Reaction Score
But I'm sending Schwarber over to Q's three true outcomes league, so it doesn't matter.:D
Except that Cleveland, Tampa, Boston and Kansas City were 1, 2, 3, & 5 in Stolen Base attempts and Cleveland, Tampa, and Boston were 1, 2, 3 in successful attempts.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A universal Dan Hurley is coming,pitchers hitting is dumb at one time quarterbacks played defense so let's have tom Brady play linebacker or defensive back.

8-on-8 high school football and two-way players are making a comeback here in PA due to declining interest in the sport.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I personally think coming up with rules to do away with the shift is the dumbest idea. It’s changing a natural part of the game.

I think the real problem with shifts is from a hitters perspective. It seems that all these dead pull hitters don’t want to make any adjustments. Some of the power hitters can be successful by hitting over the shift, but others should adapt by, I don’t know, learning to go with a pitch and hit to all fields (which should be a fundamental skill in baseball, especially at the major league level). I mean, when all 4 infielders are right of second base, and a hitter hits into that shift repeatedly, that’s not an mlb rules problem, that’s good coaching (from the fielding team) and stubborn hitting.

Look at some of the best hitters in baseball, mike trout, mookie, yelich, and Charlie Blackmon. These guys have the ability to hit to all fields in addition to pulling long home runs. So teams don’t have shift on them..

If I was running a team, unless you’re David Ortiz, you are bunt against that shift.

Ground balls against the shift make you hit like a pitcher.

Bunting against the shift and you have an ops over like 1.3. (.666/.666/.666 slash line).

It’s a no brainer based on the math

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Except that Cleveland, Tampa, Boston and Kansas City were 1, 2, 3, & 5 in Stolen Base attempts and Cleveland, Tampa, and Boston were 1, 2, 3 in successful attempts.

How many of those were by DHs?

the Q

Reaction Score
8-on-8 high school football and two-way players are making a comeback here in PA due to declining interest in the sport.

The football coach at my college asked me to tryout after seeing me workout in the weight room.

I told him I wanted to play both ways. That ended that convo.

(I hadn’t played football since like 6th grade...)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm going to assume, based on the pro-DH vs anti-DH numbers, that there are truly no Mets fans left in the BY populace. Shame, since back when I lived in CT, there actually were a lot of us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If I haven't gotten anything right, then that means you don't think Cora is manager of the year in the AL (which I posted upthread).
I must have missed it. Post number, please?

Reaction Score
If I was running a team, unless you’re David Ortiz, you are bunt against that shift.

Ground balls against the shift make you hit like a pitcher.

Bunting against the shift and you have an ops over like 1.3. (.666/.666/.666 slash line).

It’s a no brainer based on the math
And even Ortiz bunted against the shift on occasion.

I’m not sure how I feel about bunting against the shift. I think it can be beneficial to at least draw the 3b back against the shift. At the same time, you want your star hitter hitting, not bunting.

My idea of hitting to all fields isn’t really hitting ground balls to all fields, moreso hitting everything to all fields. Obviously outfielders don’t do that extreme shift for obvious reasons, but the point of hitting to all fields is to still be able to hit for extra bases and not just hit dingy singles.

the Q

Reaction Score

I’m not sure how I feel about bunting against the shift. I think it can be beneficial to at least draw the 3b back against the shift. At the same time, you want your star hitter hitting, not bunting.

My idea of hitting to all fields isn’t really hitting ground balls to all fields, moreso hitting everything to all fields. Obviously outfielders don’t do that extreme shift for obvious reasons, but the point of hitting to all fields is to still be able to hit for extra bases and not just hit dingy singles.

I’ll take the bondsian type numbers until they stop that shift going. Avoid outs and keep the line moving. Teams will have to stop eventually

the Q

Reaction Score

Also I added the Ortiz caveat cause some guys are worth hitting into it. No doubt about that.

Reaction Score
I'm going to assume, based on the pro-Dan Hurley vs anti-Dan Hurley numbers, that there are truly no Mets fans left in the BY populace. Shame, since back when I lived in CT, there actually were a lot of us.
So you're a Mets fan and complaining about teams being at a financial disadvantage? If the Mets ownership wasn't cheap and they didn't give out bad longterm deals, they could be competing as well, especially in New York.

the Q

Reaction Score
So you're a Mets fan and complaining about teams being at a financial disadvantage? If the Mets ownership wasn't cheap and they didn't give out bad longterm deals, they could be competing as well, especially in New York.

Or stupidly give redundant players like jay bruce money and invested in positions of actual need. It’s amazing how poorly run they are.

Husky25

Reaction Score
How many of those were by DHs?
(Danny)esignated (HURLEY)itters (Hurley)it.

Never know t(Hurley)oug(Hurley). Babe Rut(Hurley) (Hurley)a(Danny) a (Danny)-esignate(Danny) runner in (Hurley)is Braves years. Even t(Hurley)en, people went out to see t(Hurley)e long ball.

Asi(Danny)e note: As I was fin(Danny)ing t(Hurley)ose stolen base numbers, it (Danny)awne(Danny) on me t(Hurley)at Rickey (HURLEY)en(Danny)erson's single season recor(Danny) is more t(Hurley)an all but Clevelan(Danny) as an entire team last year...of course (Hurley)e was caug(Hurley)t 42 times t(Hurley)at year as well, w(Hurley)ic(Hurley) is more t(Hurley)an all except Tampa Bay.

Translation of the above:
Danny-esignated Hurley-itters hit.

Never know though. Babe Ruth had a designated runner in his Braves years. Even then, people went out to see the long ball.

Aside note: As I was finding those stolen base numbers, it dawned on me that Rickey Henderson's single season record is more than all but Cleveland as an entire team last year...of course he was caught 42 times that year as well, which is more than all except Tampa Bay.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

No, I'm a Pirates fan since 2008, a few years after moving out here. But I was a Mets fan when I lived back in CT. I'm just noting that there doesn't seem to be many Mets fans posting in this thread.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Danny-esignated Hurley-itters hit.

Never know though. Babe Ruth had a designated runner in his Braves years. Even then, people went out to see the long ball.

You're losing me. We were on Kyle Schwarber. And you brought up stolen bases.

I love what this DH autocorrect can do... Danny-esignated Hurley-itters, lol.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're losing me. We were on Kyle Schwarber. And you brought up stolen bases.

I love what this Dan Hurley autocorrect can do... Danny-esignated Hurley-itters, lol.
Check out the updated version. Too busy? (I think so...:D)

I brought up the steal because even though Schwarber's OBP > BA+100, he is useless on basepaths.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

I agree with you. You have to take what the defense gives you unless you're say, TED WILLIAMS! Although I only saw him at the end of his career I believe he was a dead pull hitter. So most hitters should learn to adapt. I always used to wonder what Dave Winfield could have accomplished if he just met the ball and hit it where it was pitched. He made the Hall of Fame but used to try to kill the ball and pull everything to the point of falling down. With all that strength, talent and intellect he seemed more interested in "there is going to be blood on the infielders today " (actual quote). I think the shift was used against Williams and a few others but only certain teams if my memory is correct. I think it is really exciting to see some of these players today who are smart hitters. Pitchers are trying to find "the hole (weakness)" for the hitters and some of them just don't really have much of a weakness because they make adjustments. I am a Yankees fan but right now I think Mookie Betts and Trout are two of the best players and worthy opponents. Also. I understand Martinez of the Red Sox was once released and now is considered a guru on hitting. That's dedication.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom