OT: Giants | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But secondly, Hue Jackson complained that the front office never offered the Patriots anything for Garoppolo, and that they knocked off for the day after lunch at the deadline.

The Plain Dealer said that the Browns will willing to offer more but never got the chance.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

hmm If I'm the Giants, I'd want a guy who's great at developing QBs as they likely have to draft one or two, unless they get a guy like Keenum or Kirk. Don't think either are worth the money though. The roster's got some holes anway, so paying a lot of money for a QB who's not Top 8 or so makes no sense.

I wouldn't go in the Pats direction, but if I had to, I'd choose McDaniels over Patricia, just because of the offensive mind and his skill at working with QBs (TB isn't the only guy he's worked with - see Jimmy G et al).

Reaction Score
Giants’ coaching search is down to three
The next head coach of the Giants will be Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia or Pat Shurmur, with no surprise candidate looming, and at this point all three are very much in the mix.

Steve Wilks, the Panthers’ defensive coordinator, did not make the cut after the first round of interviews, according to someone with knowledge of the Giants’ thinking. Steve Spagnuolo, the Giants’ defensive coordinator, and Eric Studesville, the former Broncos’ running backs coach and assistant head coach, are not being considered for the head-coach position.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Giants’ coaching search is down to three
The next head coach of the Giants will be Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia or Pat Shurmur, with no surprise candidate looming, and at this point all three are very much in the mix.

Steve Wilks, the Panthers’ defensive coordinator, did not make the cut after the first round of interviews, according to someone with knowledge of the Giants’ thinking. Steve Spagnuolo, the Giants’ defensive coordinator, and Eric Studesville, the former Broncos’ running backs coach and assistant head coach, are not being considered for the head-coach position.

Don't want it to be Patricia cause I want to keep him more than McDaniels. What he does with limited defenses every year is awesome. Tom can run the offense.

Reaction Score
Don't want it to be Patricia cause I want to keep him more than McDaniels. What he does with limited defenses every year is awesome. Tom can run the offense.

I don't want it to be Patricia either the backwards hat wearing chubby dude looks to me to be a defensive puppet of a great D mind in Belichick. And of the other 2 only one would not be an ex-BB assistant, who's assistants carry an awful record after the leave Foxboro.

No matter, I think I prefer McDaniels, great offensive mind (concerned he had Brady makes life a lot easier) and young enough to have learned his lesson from his first opportunity.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't want it to be Patricia either the backwards hat wearing chubby dude looks to me to be a defensive puppet of a great D mind in Belichick. And of the other 2 only one would not be an ex-BB assistant, who's assistants carry an awful record after the leave Foxboro.

Fat shamer. lol

I think the assistants not doing well is a bit overstated, as the sample size is tiny; so saying all future assistants will do the same doesn't hold any water. Mangini/Crennel/Weiss are all failures.

Bill Obrien hasn't done amazing, but the Texans have been crushed by a rash of injuries to key guys (JJ Watt every damn year; half their defense; Watson) over the past few years. And saddled with $70m Brock Osweiler there for a bit. Watson will likely help his fortunes considerably. They think enough of BO that they are currently trying to extend his contract.

Nick Saban, while poor at Miami--Miami is show in and of itself-- has been ridiculous at the college level.

McDaniels was not a success, but he only got 1.5 years to do anything. His biggest failure was at personnel. Where he was awful. He had no QB, which is his fault, having famously drafted Tebow. He was given too much control as a young coach. It'll help to not have to deal with that side, and to focus solely on running the team on the field. He also went in as the big swingin dick, when he wasn't. He's said since, that he's been "humbled" by that experience, and I think that won't be the case in the future.

There's good and bad. But that's to be expected. There's a lot that goes into the outcome, from owner, to GM picking players, to scouting, to having a QB etc that impacts a coaches success.

What you do know is that the guy won't have BB's ability to find those players to fit the system. You've gotta rely on the new GM to do that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Sounds like it's going to be Shurmur. Happy with that as well.

Reaction Score
Pat Shurmur on Giants interview: I 'feel like we connected'

Pat Shurmur took a break from celebrating his Minnesota Vikings' incredible victory to touch on the New York Giants head coach opening.

Although Shurmur has been rumored as the favorite for the Arizona Cardinals head coach opening and a finalist for the Giants, he spoke glowingly of his interview with New York earlier this offseason.

“I don’t really know anything,” Shurmur said about the Giants opening, via The Post. “I had a great visit with them last week. I felt like we connected. So we’ll have to wait and see.”

Reaction Score

No matter, I think I prefer McDaniels, great offensive mind (concerned he had Brady makes life a lot easier) and young enough to have learned his lesson from his first opportunity.
Agreed on Patricia. He’s an undoubtedly smart guy coming from aeronautical engineering. And he is clearly good at scheming and adjusting to opposing offenses.

But that’s what coordinators do. A head coach does so much more as an executive. Imparting a culture, time and clock management, managing the tempo, hiring a staff, etc. and I don’t think Patricia is the kind of football mind for that.

Edit and I’m okay with Shurmer. Happy that it looks like Andrew Luck is getting the coordinator he deserves (hoping for some good Indy-NE games)

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As an Eagles fan so am I.

What's your take on why he would be a bad hire?

I really don't know too much about him besides he has HC experience and has worked with some decidedly mediocre QB talents and made them pretty decent.

I'm just glad it wasn't Patricia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom