OT: Giants | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The next time a Bellichick assistant succeeds as a head coach in the NFL will be the first time a Bellichick assistant succeeds as a head coach in the NFL.

Reaction Score

Sounds like with this hire (former Arizona DC), Giants could be moving to 3-4.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Sounds like with this hire (former Arizona DC), Giants could be moving to 3-4.

Not sure about that (unless Vernon is used as a dedicated pass rusher from an OLB position, which would be not far from a 4-3). Among other issues, there aren't enough quality LB's (Resse never saw the importance of this position) on the roster for a 4-3, much less a 3-4.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So the Giants chose a guy that just got stuffed by Philly? Great pick!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As a Pats fan, do you really want to be encouraging a Giants discussion about judging a body of work based on the results of one game head-to-head?
What, I'm afraid of Giants fans doing their Bucky Dent thing on me?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What, I'm afraid of Giants fans doing their Bucky Dent thing on me?
I don't get the Bucky Dent analogy.

I just find it telling that, with all the Pats' accolades, you and so many of their fans remain so insecure about the Giants that you have to try to insult them and hope to keep them down in order to make yourself feel better. And I thought it a strange place to choose to make a barb based on the results of one game instead of a body of work, which is exactly the opposite tact fans of your ilk take when trying to explain away the fact that the Giants own the Pats head-to-head and are the only team that does.

So...thanks for confirming that it still bothers you I guess; shame that it distracts you from enjoying another successful post-season.

Reaction Score
Agreed on Patricia. He’s an undoubtedly smart guy coming from aeronautical engineering. And he is clearly good at scheming and adjusting to opposing offenses.

But that’s what coordinators do. A head coach does so much more as an executive. Imparting a culture, time and clock management, managing the tempo, hiring a staff, etc. and I don’t think Patricia is the kind of football mind for that.

Edit and I’m okay with Shurmer. Happy that it looks like Andrew Luck is getting the coordinator he deserves (hoping for some good Indy-NE games)

Almost every Patriots fan I know wanted Patricia to succeed Belichick. People outside New England don't see it, but he has great rapport with the players, better than McDaniels does.

As for Belichick's coaching tree, not many NFL coaches are long for their jobs as it is, but some of them have had longevity, like Saban, O'Brien and Schwartz. Others like Crennel, Mangini and McDaniels flamed out fast. McDaniels was too young, and maybe can't do it again. Crennel took over for the first time in his late 60s. Mangini was a megalomaniac. Saban didn't do much in the NFL, but he wasn't exactly fired either--he took off for the college ranks. O'Brien is still holding on and I thought Schwartz did a credible job in Detroit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

After 1978, Yankee fans couldn't engage a Sox fan without alluding to Dent. It rankled for a while but multiple Sox titles since and no one talks about Dent anymore. Like you couldn't engage without alluding to something that happened multiple titles ago thinking that it might elicit a reaction other than bemusement. And thanks for your concern with my post-season enjoyment. I bet it's a bit higher than yours. Eagles or Pats, who ya got!

Reaction Score
After 1978, Yankee fans couldn't engage a Sox fan without alluding to Dent. It rankled for a while but multiple Sox titles since and no one talks about Dent anymore. Like you couldn't engage without alluding to something that happened multiple titles ago thinking that it might elicit a reaction other than bemusement. And thanks for your concern with my post-season enjoyment. I bet it's a bit higher than yours. Eagles or Pats, who ya got!
2004 made Bucky Dent a long forgotten name. The Patriots have not had a 2004 moment against the Giants. And the two fantastic superbowl victories are not 30-40 years ago.

And I'm speaking as a Sox/Giants fan who liked the Pats as my second team until Kraft knifed the state in the back.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And I'm speaking as a Sox/Giants fan who liked the Pats as my second team until Kraft knifed the state in the back.

I hate Kraft. But that was all on Rowland. He didn't even have the site cleared.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
After 1978, Yankee fans couldn't engage a Sox fan without alluding to Dent. It rankled for a while but multiple Sox titles since and no one talks about Dent anymore. Like you couldn't engage without alluding to something that happened multiple titles ago but nonetheless still makes me feel insecure when engaging with Giants fans thinking , knowing that it might would elicit a reaction other than bemusement. And thanks for your concern with my post-season enjoyment. I bet it's a bit higher than yours. Eagles or Pats, who ya got!

Thanks for confirming what I observed.

As for the Super Bowl, I am rooting for an earthquake to swallow both teams and their fans. Short of that, the Pats having another title out of the weakest division in football history yet again is so much of a yawner that I'm fine with it; no one but you guys will remember it after next weekend. It doesn't add anything notable to an already storied run for the cheaters and their leaders, and it doesn't take away from the fact that the Giants own the Pats when they meet in the Super Bowl. In that sense, it is preferable to me than seeing all the Philly yahoos adopt the pink hat Red Sox fan mentality that you have.

Reaction Score
As a Giants fan, I hope the Pats destroy the Eagles. I have no real hate for the Pats, except that I am sick of watching them every year. No Giants fan I know wants the Eagles to win a SB.

Ever since Joe Pisarcik and Herman Edwards, the Eagles were a bad word in the household.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Actually once can be an accident,twice is a pattern..

Once is chance. Twice is a coincidence. Three times a pattern.

Thank god Coughlin is gone. Although his prints are all over Jacksonville, so the Pats will now have to contend with that in their own conference.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I just find it telling that, with all the Pats' accolades, you and so many of their fans remain so insecure about the Giants that you have to try to insult them and hope to keep them down in order to make yourself feel better. And I thought it a strange place to choose to make a barb based on the results of one game instead of a body of work, which is exactly the opposite tact fans of your ilk take when trying to explain away the fact that the Giants own the Pats head-to-head and are the only team that does.

So...thanks for confirming that it still bothers you I guess; shame that it distracts you from enjoying another successful post-season.

It's a Boston vs NY fan thing first and foremost. Even so, it's not that common on this board anyway.

Again, glad Coughlin is gone. One of the few coaches in the League who doesn't fear Belichick. And his teams were tough. Just as Jacksonville is now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's a Boston vs NY fan thing first and foremost. Even so, it's not that common on this board anyway.
I got that much, but it's not analogous to Giants vs. Pats.

And as a Mets fan, I'm more partial to the Bill Buckner taunts (even though the game was already tied by then).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Thanks for confirming what I observed.

As for the Super Bowl, I am rooting for an earthquake to swallow both teams and their fans. Short of that, the Pats having another title out of the weakest division in football history yet again is so much of a yawner that I'm fine with it; no one but you guys will remember it after next weekend. It doesn't add anything notable to an already storied run for the cheaters and their leaders, and it doesn't take away from the fact that the Giants own the Pats when they meet in the Super Bowl. In that sense, it is preferable to me than seeing all the Philly yahoos adopt the pink hat Red Sox fan mentality that you have.

As has been proven wrong over and over and over again, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

And talk about insecurity, your post is riddled with it. If you need to denigrate the Pats at every turn, it is what it is. Glass houses 8893 ;)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As has been proven wrong over and over and over again, but whatever helps you sleep.

And talk about insecurity, your post is riddled with it.
It was a troll post meant to further entangle Pats fans like yourselves who, like everyone else, are so bored with another totally expected cake walk to the Super Bowl that you have to burrow into Giants fan discussion threads.

Note, I haven't even felt the need to click on the Pats threads since their inevitable clinching.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It was a troll post meant to further entangle Pats fans like yourselves who, like everyone else, are so bored with another totally expected cake walk to the Super Bowl that you have to burrow into Giants fan discussion threads.
Note, I haven't even felt the need to click on the Pats threads since their inevitable clinching.

How have you trollingly entangled me? I'm not remotely angry about any of this. You've engaged me in discussion, but that's the whole point of a message board.

I come here because there's nothing else to talk about. UCONN basketball? I can recite all the arguments in my sleep. It's like clockwork. I enjoy talking football, even other teams. Roster management, coaching, etc are one of the most interesting things in sports for me. When discussing these things, it's common to reference Belichick, as he's the gold standard.

The Pats are generally brought up by Giants fans first anyway, but in this case, two of the Pats coaches were in the discussion for the job. If somebody posts something incorrect about the Pats, I'll respond and correct the error. But I'm not jumping over hoops to talk about them. And if you think they have a cakewalk every year, I guess you haven't been watching the games. Which is fine.

Back to the Giants. What do you think of the hires? Gettleman/Shurmer/Bettcher

I like the Bettcher hire maybe the best of the three. Ever since he became the Arizona defensive coordinator, they've been comfortably a top 10 defense. Don't know why Arizona didn't hire an offensive HC, and keep Bettcher.

I'm not quite sold on Gettleman. What did he really do with that Carolina roster? And if he was so effective, why did Carolina let him go?

Shurmer did well with Keenum this year. And Teddy B in previous years. I've really haven't the faintest idea about his ability to run a team.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom