OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 33 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You are the lawyer, but gross misconduct is a big mountain to climb, especially for failure to supervise. Louisville's got a good case, but so does Pitino. They will settle, and it will be a big number.

The one spot Pitino has to be careful is getting charged himself. A conviction will bust every employment agreement, and an indictment will bust most of them.

The contract I'm dealing with has a significantly narrower definition of just cause than Pitino's. Take a look at it. It's actually quite easy to trigger. As @krinklecut pointed out, Louisville can take multiple bites at the apple. He'll get something because Louisville isn't going to want to essentially prove how bad its head coach acted, but they have more leverage than he does.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Our greatest crime was accurately reporting our APR scores and being the victim of rule being retroactively applied to us.

When you compare that to the Syracuse, UNC and Louisvilles of the world, it is pretty hard to call us "cheaters."

What's really amazing is our experience with NCAA punishment, even when we have attempted to take the high road, has been abysmal. At some point, knowing what's going on rampantly at other schools, why not just jump into the same cesspool as everybody else? If they're going to hand you maximum punishments for relatively minor violations anyway, what motivation is there to attempt to play by the rules? You're going to get hammered either way, so you might just as well cheat at the same level as everybody else does. It's an example of the total failure of the NCAA, particularly when it comes to encouraging schools to act responsibly.

When you consider what we have accomplished as an athletic program despite having to compete directly with the slimiest of the slime bag schools, it's truly amazing. And I'm not naive enough to think we are lily white because we're not, but events over the past several months sure make us look pretty good as compared with some of our peers.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not likely. There isn't enough money involved. If it does, look for UNC and Maryland to lead the way. Also, possibly, Texas.

TN. And Tejas.

But no, it doesn't happen. Most is likely a few meals and some free swag. All secondary violations. And the FBI would scoff at investigating the amount of money involve in WCBB, if there was any.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel that we've been through this before...(Yup, we have)

Helmsley was convicted of Tax Evasion, which is a willful act. While it is true that the IRC has provisions for criminal offenses, one does not go to jail for simply owing an acknowledged tax liability. There is a difference and the IRS has the ability to garnish without consent a substantial portion of take-home pay, which could lead to a circumstance worse than jail time. That is why you don't fark around with the IRS.
The poster I replied to suggested that the IRS doesn't have the ability to put imprison you. I, correctly, pointed out that there are criminal provisions under the IRS code. Um, you agree with that, right?

As to your link, I can't believe that you are still butthurt over this, so much so, apparently, that you used a quote with a revised position that you took later in the thread rather than your original one. Here's the discussion from the start.

Your original position:
Paying taxes is not fascism, because it is voluntary.

In terms of the IRS or DRS, you cannot simply go to jail in the United States for owing taxes.

That statement was wrong then and still wrong now, as the discussion in the link explains in greater detail.

Last edited:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Heron is dirty. Wait and see.

Hookers and paying kids and Louisville still couldn't win a national title. I bet the ACC regrets accepting Louisville into the conference now. Maybe they can boot them and we can take their spot?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I bet the ACC regrets accepting Louisville into the conference now.

Louisville has a Top 20 football team and the defending Heisman winner. Those that drove the decision for the ACC (FSU, Miami, Clemson, etc) have no regrets.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I've seen other posters reference the same thing. That out of the blue we stopped recruiting kids, who were likely offered money.

if this is true, then that means that KO and staff openly knew that other schools were offering these kids money? Why didn't we say anything? Why didn't any coach this happened to say anything?

Because of the coaching fraternity. There's an unwritten code that you don't rat out other coaches. There's a mindset that what goes around comes back to you at some future point in time. When he was at Stanford, Mike Montgomery called out Billy Donovan publicly as a guy who doesn't play by the rules. I suspect he knew something, perhaps about a battle for the same recruit. He was trashed for not giving any specifics, and he was forced to issue a public apology. He handled it badly, but there was likely something to his allegation. I think the coaches all believe that if they start slinging mud at each other the whole system will come crashing down, so they all collectively bite their tongues.

Reaction Score
6.1.3 is the killer for Pitino. It is the one brightline definition not subject to interpretation. The UL lawyer that put that clause in deserves a hooker and whatever leftover blow is in Jurich's office. He/She saved the university $44 million today.

And I bet the University still complained about the bill.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Louisville has a Top 20 football team and the defending Heisman winner. Those that drove the decision for the ACC (FSU, Miami, Clemson, etc) have no regrets.
So far. The future is TBD.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You brought up an interesting thought in my head, with these kids who are getting paid out to commit to a school... what happens if you decide to go to Louisville for that $100,000 to the family and after year 1, you transfer out? Clearly the school can't say "excuse me officer, this kid and his family took $100,000 to come play for us and now they're leaving, get us our money back please!!!"

So does anyone think schools are or have paid out for a transfer, and that its possible families have been paid out a couple of times by strategic movement?

I was scoffed at when I floated a similar idea earlier this year. Feeling more confident in it now...

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
So far. The future is TBD.

Isn't there hints that at UofL its not just the stuff mentioned?

I wonder how Petrino is getting the recruits he is getting.

Reaction Score
6.1.3 is the killer for Pitino. It is the one brightline definition not subject to interpretation. The UL lawyer that put that clause in deserves a hooker and whatever leftover blow is in Jurich's office. He/She saved the university $44 million today.

Subject, of course, to Pitino having done something, and not just having not known what his subordinates were doing. I think this is incredibly highly likely, but it will have to be proven to a jury's satisfaction.

Reaction Score
I was scoffed at when I floated a similar idea earlier this year. Feeling more confident in it now...

If we're talking shoe companies, it doesn't make much sense. If a kid is transferring, it means he's not going pro, which means the likelihood he becomes an NBA star capable of moving shoe sales is pretty low.

If it's just the schools paying, then yeah, sure, wouldn't surprise me.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Not after they get the death penalty for lack of institutional control across multiple sports.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If we're talking shoe companies, it doesn't make much sense. If a kid is transferring, it means he's not going pro, which means the likelihood he becomes an NBA star capable of moving shoe sales is pretty low.

If it's just the schools paying, then yeah, sure, wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not marryed to the idea, but there are a few ways to look at it. Good players are transfering. The shoe companies have relationships with schools/coaches. So it's in their best interest to make that program/coach as successful as possible--the coach/school then gets better recruits in the future and gets your more guys funneled to your company. If you are a shoe company, it behooves you then to 'steal' as many good players from other companies schools as possible. You effectively have more clout, and can pick up coaches/programs in the future that way. And so on.

Reaction Score
Not knowing how it works, but if I was working the Nike end of this scam I would be trying to get players to "my schools" and once convinced whomever needed to be convinced would let them pick their own school. In that way the best recruiters or those with the best schools/spiels would just fight over them while having their "hands clean" with deniability. Player would get $xxx if say any of top 5 Nike schools wanted them, then 80% of $xxx if anyone of next 20 wanted, etc.
Now how would Pearl at Auburn or LSU position themselves better in this scenario. Best guess is they look to their football side on how to get a little extra to player's posse (maybe job for mom or sister, etc. Think Duke with Maggette's dad's overpaid job at booster that was never followed up by NCAA.) Not like Auburn got Scam Newton because of their excellent school of pharmacy, they got some RECRUITING skiiiiiills.

Bilas, Dukie V., all these guys knew/know what was going on. How could they not.

With all this money changing hands I bet not one coach/school ever thought of maybe greasing the palm of some referee to get a few calls, just good fortune that Duke gets so many good calls at important times in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom