OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 31 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Isn't their accreditation also being reviewed? Kind of a perfect storm, isn't it?
Being reviewed by SAC. Doubt they have the balls to take accreditation away given that Virginia chairs the committee.

Reaction Score
We will see what comes out, but my guess is that UK, Duke, KU and UNC probably don't need to do this. What I see are programs that are hungry to step up or join the bigger names, or in the case of UL, catch UK. I doubt we will see much for football either, because one or two players won't have much of an impact. But with basketball, a nothing school that grabs a 5 star and uses him to bring in a couple of other good players is suddenly a strong, ranked team.

Anecdotally, I know an assistant coach at a private academy/basketball factory school. He knows I hate Calipari, but says that the guy is down to earth and charming, and the HS coaches love him. I think it's safe to say that our view of him is colored by our history, all the way back to UMass.
I have never bought that and I still don't. I think Calipari and Coach K both need to cheat to pull in the kids they pull in. And you know damn well that they both DEFINITELY cheated early in their careers. But, even now, I think most kids would go to a school offering them $150K over current-day Kentucky offering them just exposure. Given equal money (or at least close), yeah they choose Duke or Kentucky but I don't buy that any coach reaches a point where they "don't need to do this anymore". Today's society (and its kids by extension) are all about entitlement and instant gratification. UK may not need to cheat to get kids in the 4* range but they still need to cheat to get some/most of the 5* kids they get. I am 99% convinced that all four of those school cheat. Sorry about that as I know you are a KU grad. Bill Self has been a cheater all the way back to his Illinois days.

Reaction Score
Any way any of this rolls all the way up to Emmert?

Can he get canned for allowing all of this nonsense to go on under his watch? There is almost certainly not going to be any evidence directly incriminating him. But is this a case of extreme negligence/ failure of oversight? Sort of like when a head coach/AD get canned because they are responsible for what happens under their watch.

How does an NCAA president even get the job? (ie is it an election of some kind?) And how can it be taken away?

Reaction Score
Any way any of this rolls all the way up to Emmert?

Can he get canned for allowing all of this nonsense to go on under his watch? There is almost certainly not going to be any evidence directly incriminating him. But is this a case of extreme negligence/ failure of oversight? Sort of like when a head coach/AD get canned because they are responsible for what happens under their watch.

How does an NCAA president even get the job? (ie is it an election of some kind?) And how can it be taken away?
I think the answer is definitively that yes it could. If it turns out that he was either negligent in following up on tips or in some way knew this was going on. Would be surprised if he had no idea, then I could see the NCAA canning him to try to save some credibility in all of this. Even if they can't directly tie him, he may go down just as a figurehead.

Reaction Score
We will see what comes out, but my guess is that UK, Duke, KU and UNC probably don't need to do this. What I see are programs that are hungry to step up or join the bigger names, or in the case of UL, catch UK. I doubt we will see much for football either, because one or two players won't have much of an impact. But with basketball, a nothing school that grabs a 5 star and uses him to bring in a couple of other good players is suddenly a strong, ranked team.

Anecdotally, I know an assistant coach at a private academy/basketball factory school. He knows I hate Calipari, but says that the guy is down to earth and charming, and the HS coaches love him. I think it's safe to say that our view of him is colored by our history, all the way back to UMass.
Kentucky and Duke have been on a recruiting hot streak not seen since Sam Gilbert. And I'm not just talking about a couple of strong classes or lots of local players. Duke has had more first-rounders since 2010 (15) than they had in either the whole of the 1990s (10) or 2000s (8). By next season, they will likely have surpassed both decades combined as far as NBA talent goes. Kentucky has done one better, and have more first-rounders since 2010 than they had in the 60+ years before. They are recruiting above their historical norm in an AAU era where shoe cash is flooding the system. Something stinks.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think the answer is definitively that yes it could. If it turns out that he was either negligent in following up on tips or in some way knew this was going on. Would be surprised if he had no idea, then I could see the NCAA canning him to try to save some credibility in all of this. Even if they can't directly tie him, he may go down just as a figurehead.
Theoretically, RICO, right? On the other hand, the NCAA is not in business as a corrupt organization, per se. On a third hand:eek:, what are the repercussions of the NCAA losing their tax exemption? There's a "Whoa Boy" for ya!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

$44 million buyout? Did I read that right? I thought it was like $10 million. How does a public institution agree to a buyout that large?

With that much money at stake, it will be a fight all right, and all the dirty laundry will be aired.

th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds