OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 30 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
1. What other choice do they have?
2. $$$ -- Other Nike schools are still getting ridiculous money from NIKE (Louisville just got a $160MM contract from Nike a couple of months ago I believe).

Flip to Adidas

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This is what I was referring to with Ollie calling out other coaches recruiting other teams players.

Q. Could you talk about the changing landscape of college basketball, transfers, etc., and how UConn can keep up?

"I wouldn't say unfortunate, but we didn't want none of our guys to leave. We wanted to have Steve back. We wanted to have Juwan back. I can't say that, emphasize that enough. We wanted Vance back. But at the end of the day, it's their opinion of what fits for them. They have to make a business decision what fits for them. It's part of the college landscape. It's also the expectations that are put on these student-athletes at an early age. You have these media [recruiting] rankings. You have social media. Also, it's the coaches. We can't go around recruiting players who are on somebody else's team. That's happened. That's a big epidemic, too. It's not just the guys transferring. It's other college coaches also. I'm not afraid to speak on it.

Q And A With Kevin Ollie On All The Changes At UConn

Reaction Score
Nassir Little is "Player-12" in the Gatto complaint. Arizona is "University-4." Miami is "University-7."

Gatto was recorded saying Arizona/Nike will pay Little $150k if Miami didn’t step up first. Next thing you know he’s about to commit to Arizona. I always wondered why we never really pushed with Little after offering because I loved his game. Well, this explains that...

Some thought player 12 was Quickley, so I figured I’d put that out there.

I've seen other posters reference the same thing. That out of the blue we stopped recruiting kids, who were likely offered money.

if this is true, then that means that KO and staff openly knew that other schools were offering these kids money? Why didn't we say anything? Why didn't any coach this happened to say anything?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The IRS has the power to take your money and keep making you live in the real world. The FBI can take away your freedom, but at least you get three hots and a cot on the inside.
There are criminal sanctions in the IRS Code and an entire division dedicated to putting people in jail. Ever hear of Leona Helmsley?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Flip to Adidas

What does that accomplish? You are still never going to compete with Kentucky/Nike for the elite players. And you are likely to get less money than you are getting from Nike. So it doesn't change anything.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I've seen other posters reference the same thing. That out of the blue we stopped recruiting kids, who were likely offered money.

if this is true, then that means that KO and staff openly knew that other schools were offering these kids money? Why didn't we say anything? Why didn't any coach this happened to say anything?

They have assistant coaches on record openly discussing the need to outbid other schools for a player's services. Everyone knew how the game worked and there must have been an incentive to keep your mouth shut. You were either in on the con, or you didn't want to black ball yourself from future employment opportunities/ shoe money.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
What does that accomplish? You are still never going to compete with Kentucky/Nike for the elite players. And you are likely to get less money than you are getting from Nike. So it doesn't change anything.

Right so I would suspect the deal is you accept the fact that you are going to lose the Tier 1 players to UK, but that Nike is going to help you out with Tier 2.

Reaction Score
So if you do things the right way and fight like heck, you might get to be a top 25 team on a regular basis. But it sounds like with only a few exceptions, if you want to be seen as a top 10 program you had to play the game to get that talent year after year. A team can make a run in the tourney but that only takes you so far. This is looking like a massive conspiracy and it's hard to imagine NCAA/Emmert claiming they had no idea or that they suspected but never contacted appropriate agencies.

And a good point above as to why/whether anyone doing the right thing didn't say anything. I wonder if a few did and what the NCAA compliance response was. And it kind of makes you wonder what the price of winning the realignment sweepstakes was.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So if you do things the right way and fight like heck, you might get to be a top 25 team on a regular basis. But it sounds like with only a few exceptions, if you want to be seen as a top 10 program you had to play the game to get that talent year after year. A team can make a run in the tourney but that only takes you so far. This is looking like a massive conspiracy and it's hard to imagine NCAA/Emmert claimimg they had no idea or that they suspected but never contacted appropriate agencies.

RICO

Reaction Score
Right so I would suspect the deal is you accept the fact that you are going to lose the Tier 1 players to UK, but that Nike is going to help you out with Tier 2.
And adidas was apparently playing favs too, like Louisville.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'll be interested in hearing UofL's statement after both are let go. They should save some time and embarrassment and fire Petrino as well.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

What are they going to say? It's all hearsay. Nothing can be proven. You hear a kid is taking cash, you walk away. Not sure what else a coach can do. You hear but you can't compel anyone to fess up about it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There are criminal sanctions in the IRS Code and an entire division dedicated to putting people in jail. Ever hear of Leona Helmsley?
I feel that we've been through this before...(Yup, we have)

Helmsley was convicted of Tax Evasion, which is a willful act. While it is true that the IRC has provisions for criminal offenses, one does not go to jail for simply owing an acknowledged tax liability. There is a difference and the IRS has the ability to garnish without consent a substantial portion of take-home pay, which could lead to a circumstance worse than jail time. That is why you don't fark around with the IRS.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'll be interested in hearing UofL's statement after both are let go. They should save some time and embarrassment and fire Petrino as well.

Yeah. I wonder about Petrino. He is another scandal eruption - you just don't when.

Reaction Score
What are they going to say? It's all hearsay. Nothing can be proven. You hear a kid is taking cash, you walk away. Not sure what else a coach can do. You hear but you can't compel anyone to fess up about it.

yeah good point. nothing could be done; well i mean except getting the fbi involved.

Reaction Score
It would be cool if some stories came out of small-name college basketball team's potential recruit and family tell him school X is offering them money, they decide we don't do that, good day be on your way, and then alert the NCAA and obviously they sit on it and do nothing.

I hope this has happened countless times and the NCAA repeatedly brushed it under the rug, and we can get all these submitted inquiries to come out and find out oh wow the NCAA did literally nothing to investigate the validity

Reaction Score
So yes, he was fired.
Postel's response sure wasn't designed to counter that speculation...so the odds would seem to be stacked against TJ at this point.

Reaction Score
Nassir Little is "Player-12" in the Gatto complaint. Arizona is "University-4." Miami is "University-7."

Gatto was recorded saying Arizona/Nike will pay Little $150k if Miami didn’t step up first. Next thing you know he’s about to commit to Arizona. I always wondered why we never really pushed with Little after offering because I loved his game. Well, this explains that...

Some thought player 12 was Quickley, so I figured I’d put that out there.

And I just have to reiterate that MANY people on this board said we were losing players to Arizona because of their hot coeds, not cheating. I never said that wasn't a factor but I think $150K is a much bigger factor!!! The signs have been there all along. And that goes for several (many?...most?) other schools and coaches as well. But, no, not every school and coach.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Apologies if this has already been posted.

The investigation was carried out largely with the assistance of a cooperating witness, identified Tuesday as Louis Martin Blazer, a former Pittsburgh financial adviser who found himself in hot water in 2014 for siphoning money from professional athletes whose accounts he managed to finance movie and music ventures.

He ultimately pleaded guilty to identity theft, making false statements and documents, wire fraud and security fraud. Under a cooperation agreement, prosecutors agreed to inform the sentencing judge of Blazer's help in the NCAA case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom