OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 28 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone think this might spread over to the women's side?
Not likely. There isn't enough money involved. If it does, look for UNC and Maryland to lead the way. Also, possibly, Texas.

Reaction Score
Bowen has less leverage than most, since we already know about his incident. It's the people who haven't been publicly listed (because the FBI doesn't have enough evidence yet, presumably) that stand to be able to take advantage of the tip line.

You have to assume that they have others on a rope, with sufficient evidence to convict but in the hopes they can leverage them for more information. No way they blew their wad right out of the gate.

Reaction Score
You have to assume that they have others on a rope, with sufficient evidence to convict but in the hopes they can leverage them for more information. No way they blew their wad right out of the gate.

Last one...

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm thinking this scandal is worth creating a new forum i.e., the conference realignment forum, and probably sends Fishy's daughter to Stanford or Duke.

Who knew that the sad state of affairs of college athletics would put the Fishy's household in a higher tax bracket.

This has legs for many months, if not years.

A thread for each school involved would be pretty interesting.

I second this emotion. This investigation has legs and will go on for some time. It will be facinating to see how thing unfold. Be nice to have all the stuff in one spot.

Reaction Score
Not likely. There isn't enough money involved. If it does, look for UNC and Maryland to lead the way. Also, possibly, Texas.
It does bring to mind what went on at UNC a few years ago. Remember when they landed the top ranked recruiting class with either 4 or 5 top recruits, out of the blue? There was no change in coaches that could have accounted for it, Hatchell was still there. Most everyone was surprised by their big haul and unable to explain it. Diamond Deshields was the big catch that year, the number one recruit in the country. Interestingly, I believe 4 of those recruits later transferred out. Will be interesting to see if anything develops here or if it was just...good luck that UNC had on the trail...for that one season. :cool:

Reaction Score
I'm not assuming any other top program is in the clear at this point. I think UConn is far less likely to be implicated than most others, but if shoe brands are funneling money to top recruits, this must extend to more schools than we know of now.

Chill brought Fultz to WU. Top 5 player. Just liked Seattle? Ollie seems almost too naive to be involved early in his career. But if Chill was working it for WU, maybe we hired him because we weren't getting top players playing it straight. Not saying it's true. Just saying it doesn't seem that crazy...

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm not assuming any other top program is in the clear at this point. I think UConn is far less likely to be implicated than most others, but if shoe brands are funneling money to top recruits, this must extend to more schools than we know of now.

Chill brought Fultz to WU. Top 5 player. Just liked Seattle? Ollie seems almost too naive to be involved early in his career. But if Chill was working it for WU, maybe we hired him because we weren't getting top players playing it straight. Not saying it's true. Just saying it doesn't seem that crazy...

I thought about this too. Evidently the investigation started a couple of years ago but the Bowen situation all started going down in May and June so I'm thinking we're safe for the immediate future and may not be involved in these shenanigans at all.

Reaction Score
It does bring to mind what went on at UNC a few years ago. Remember when they landed the top ranked recruiting class with either 4 or 5 top recruits, out of the blue? There was no change in coaches that could have accounted for it, Hatchell was still there. Most everyone was surprised by their big haul and unable to explain it. Diamond Deshields was the big catch that year, the number one recruit in the country. Interestingly, I believe 4 of those recruits later transferred out. Will be interesting to see if anything develops here or if it was just...good luck that UNC had on the trail...for that one season. :cool:

You brought up an interesting thought in my head, with these kids who are getting paid out to commit to a school... what happens if you decide to go to Louisville for that $100,000 to the family and after year 1, you transfer out? Clearly the school can't say "excuse me officer, this kid and his family took $100,000 to come play for us and now they're leaving, get us our money back please!!!"

So does anyone think schools are or have paid out for a transfer, and that its possible families have been paid out a couple of times by strategic movement?

and also, anyone else having a tough time staying on point at work, wanting to find more and more revelations from this onion of a story?

Reaction Score
And? They want new leads. Unless you think he knows about other players or something, I don't see what he could give them.

As an example from an earlier post I made, page 22 discussed the urgency these guys felt to overcome Adidas procedures and get the money to Father-2 (Bowen's it would seem), because a rival company was coming in with a higher offer. Bowen could start blowing the whistle on who was else was approaching him with competing offers, and building a case on another company's network of corruption. I think the FBI already knows who, but this would start building the evidence and next set of indictments towards a second company and it's process.

An earlier post mentioned forensic accounting. At least in Adidas case it would seem they would be well served to review every situation where their indicted employee involved himself in paying vendors, follow the money. Turning that guy for a reduced sentence should be very worrisome for any player or program he gave money to. Programs played players that were paid. NCAA forfeits of wins and money in all the games.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Anyone who bites the tip line nonsense is a moron. Shut up and lawyer up. Those are the only two options.
Lawyer up, yes. Shut up, no. Sing like a canary.

This isn't a crime thing where snitches end up in ditches. In this case, the snitches will walk away and live a happy life. You're better off as a cooperating witness not a defendant.

Reaction Score
Bowen had previously visited NC State (adidas), Michigan State (Nike), Arizona (Nike), Texas (Nike), and Creighton (Nike).

Reaction Score
I find it very interesting that I haven't seen other P5 programs giving comfort to their fan bases and alums by announcing their reassurance that their programs have always taken the high road and that nothing will come back to haunt or embarrass their programs. Silence is interesting.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they're all likely to be ineligible.

The NCAA moves at snail speed. These players will be in the pros or graduated before the NCAA ever finishes their investigations (MIAMI style)

Reaction Score
You brought up an interesting thought in my head, with these kids who are getting paid out to commit to a school... what happens if you decide to go to Louisville for that $100,000 to the family and after year 1, you transfer out? Clearly the school can't say "excuse me officer, this kid and his family took $100,000 to come play for us and now they're leaving, get us our money back please!!!"

So does anyone think schools are or have paid out for a transfer, and that its possible families have been paid out a couple of times by strategic movement?

and also, anyone else having a tough time staying on point at work, wanting to find more and more revelations from this onion of a story?

I wouldn't be shocked if it happened, but I'd think the Gatto types would blacklist the kid/family for screwing one of their 'client' schools. Unless the understanding is that this is a 1-year 'contract' and if the player is good enough they'll likely be in the draft anyways.

And yes, it is tough turning away from this sweet juicy onion.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Lawyer up, yes. Shut up, no. Sing like a canary.

This isn't a crime thing where snitches end up in ditches. In this case, the snitches will walk away and live a happy life. You're better off as a cooperating witness not a defendant.

Any lawyer worth his salt would say keep your mouth shut without a deal.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

I have no reason to think Chill isn't a straight shooter, but in light of this investigation this portion of the official UConn announcement of his hire makes you wonder what he may have seen on the other side/ what kind of connections he has-

"Prior to his first stint at Washington, Chillious served a year as a business manager for Nike’s Elite Youth Basketball in Beaverton, Ore., where his responsibilities included leading a team that conducted clinics and camps throughout the United States and foreign locations, identifying young basketball talent."

Looking back on the hire there was an odd emphasis on the fact that he worked for Nike and I seem to remember the term "Nike Guy" being used. Let's all hope there is nothing disreputable about his past

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nassir Little is "Player-12" in the Gatto complaint. Arizona is "University-4." Miami is "University-7."

Gatto was recorded saying Arizona/Nike will pay Little $150k if Miami didn’t step up first. Next thing you know he’s about to commit to Arizona. I always wondered why we never really pushed with Little after offering because I loved his game. Well, this explains that...

Some thought player 12 was Quickley, so I figured I’d put that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom