OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 27 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but what happens to any player who took money to play at one of these schools. I assume their college career is over...right?

My guess is if the took money they were one and done, and long gone at this point.

Reaction Score
My guess is if the took money they were one and done, and long gone at this point.

The Louisville thing is about Brian Bowen. He's on this year's roster.

Other class of 17 and beyond players are included as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but what happens to any player who took money to play at one of these schools. I assume their college career is over...right?

Bowen’s options are bad and worse.

Depending on how much he knows, his best bet might have been to call the NCAA and offer up everything about everyone in exchange for immunity. But that’s in a normal world where the FBI isn’t involved - I don’t know if he could get any sort of deal at the moment.

But if I’m the Bowen family, I’m looking to talk to anyone for a deal.

Reaction Score
The FBI involvement is interesting. It definitely makes the NCAA look inept. The FBI actually did real investigating. What was the NCAA's involvement. I assume nothing. I suspect they were just sitting in their office waiting for all these schools to self-report the infractions.

Reaction Score
The FBI involvement is interesting. It definitely makes the NCAA look inept. The FBI actually did real investigating. What was the NCAA's involvement. I assume nothing. I suspect they were just sitting in their office waiting for all these schools to self-report the infractions.

Considering that the NCAA can't wiretap people or subpoena or indict people, they're not exactly working on the same level of investigation resources.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Kinda saddens me, don't like to see widespread corruption and I don't wish such harm on any fan-base

If these bribes are being offered to top recruits, how can the programs that land ALL the top players NOT be involved?

When people say "UConn cheats", I always point out we're NOT the program landing multiple top ten recruits year in and year out. Hell we only land a handful of top 50 recruits, we must not be paying enough. And no, I'm not complaining about our recruits, I love our system.

As a mitigating factor, if bribes truly are being offered to players, how can more players have NOT come forward outing some schools over the years? Especially those who need money now.

Reaction Score
Considering that the NCAA can't wiretap people or subpoena or indict people, they're not exactly working on the same level of investigation resources.
That's fair

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Bowen’s options are bad and worse.

Depending on how much he knows, his best bet might have been to call the NCAA and offer up everything about everyone in exchange for immunity. But that’s in a normal world where the FBI isn’t involved - I don’t know if he could get any sort of deal at the moment.

But if I’m the Bowen family, I’m looking to talk to anyone for a deal.

Apparently they have set up a tip line and are suggesting it's in a person's best interest to turn themselves in.

Reaction Score
Bowen has less leverage than most, since we already know about his incident. It's the people who haven't been publicly listed (because the FBI doesn't have enough evidence yet, presumably) that stand to be able to take advantage of the tip line.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Bowen has less leverage than most, since we already know about his incident. It's the people who haven't been publicly listed (because the FBI doesn't have enough evidence yet, presumably) that stand to be able to take advantage of the tip line.

It wouldn't be about what he did, it'd be about what he knows.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be about what he did, it'd be about what he knows.

And? They want new leads. Unless you think he knows about other players or something, I don't see what he could give them.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
And? They want new leads. Unless you think he knows about other players or something, I don't see what he could give them.

There are a number of things he could possibly give them that could help in the investigation and prosecution of others. Dates, timed, method of payement, conversations with those who influenced his decision, etc. I highly doubt the investigation is complete.

Reaction Score
There are a number of things he could possibly give them that could help in the investigation and prosecution of others.

All I said was he has less leverage than most people would, because the FBI already has a bunch of evidence in this case. The tip line was basically advertised as "corrupt coaches, come to us before we come to you."

temery

What?
Reaction Score
All I said was he has less leverage than most people would, because the FBI already has a bunch of evidence in this case. The tip line was basically advertised as "corrupt coaches, come to us before we come to you."

Fair enough. Anyone who bites the tip line nonsense is a moron. Shut up and lawyer up. Those are the only two options.

Reaction Score

The corruption is so widespread they don't have enough manpower to get this done in a timely manner, but they will get to everyone eventually. It will be interesting to see which players on current rosters do not play this year. It's possible every top p5 school will be impacted. A kid who went to Duke or UNC could have received money while playing AAU. In this case it's not their fault, but it's going to cause them problems.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The reason they have the people they have is because that's who the financial advisor that they got to flip had connections with. He was under investigation for other stuff and offered this knowledge in exchange. But now that they have the tip line open, who knows what will develop.
With the amounts of money involved, FBI involvment and "other stuff" have to wonder if there are Henry Hill type characters involved.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Fair enough. Anyone who bites the tip line nonsense is a moron. Shut up and lawyer up. Those are the only two options.

Prisoners dilemma. If everyone trusted everyone to keep their mouths shut, then your advice would be correct. This is not one of those situations. If you are involved in this, you want to be the first one to talk, because your information risks becoming less valuable with each call the tip line receives.

I agree about the lawyer part. Do not talk to the US Attorney without one.

Reaction Score
I didn't hear Seth's comments but was his argument more that it's the assistants acting on the directions of the head coach and thus while they're liable for their actions but the buck ultimately stops with the HC, or was he making them out to be innocent, know-nothing pawns? The former is a legitimate argument.

Never mentioned the HC but his implication was that in many cases, they have to do it. I get that logic. But what got me is when he said you have to decide how far you want to step over that line.

Reaction Score
Players getting schollies needed to apply for financial aid?

Yes. If you're getting the new stipends of $4-5k. Schools want the federal gov't to pick up part of it through Pell Grants, which you can only get after applying for a FAFSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom