OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. There is an investigation about paying and influencing players and Calipari and World Wide Wes are not implicated?! OK.:rolleyes:

The UK operation is way more sophisticated. Wouldn't be caught up in a penny ante sting like this one.

Reaction Score
Does the kid get caught up in this too? Idk how this works. You'd have to think something went his way at some point. But without tangible evidence, it's useless. At the very least, the NCAA will investigate him

He will never play in an official NCAA game. Watch him sign overseas shortly.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If the FBI has a lot of actual proof, the NBA may need to have another draft in a few weeks with all of the high level players who are about to become ineligible for this NCAAs season.;)

The FBI doesn't casually pass out affidavits man. They got something. Probably a lot.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd love to see shots of the kids who were implicated in this either in class or in practice today just like :rolleyes::oops::oops::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::oops::oops:

Would look more like
Poop_Emoji_2_medium.png

Reaction Score
I don't understand why they were arrested. They violated NCAA rules, but what laws did they break?

All the schools involved receive $$ from the Federal government, and by doing so commit to a certain standard of financial conduct (as ironic as that may be). Employees of the school engaged in fraud, bribery and conspiracy to benefit themselves and received payments to steer students to certain agents/financial advisors, possibly to the detriment of the students.

Reaction Score
I don't want to overstate things, and I still haven't had a chance to read the whole thread but, I really really hope Louisville and Pitino sleep with the fishes after this.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Idk, but they could get the death penalty.

It would be well deserved in Louisville's case, but after what happened to the SMU football program in the aftermath, I seriously doubt the NCAA will ever do it again. There have been numerous instances since SMU when it would have been appropriate.

Reaction Score
They're on athletic scholarships, how is that financial aid from the federal gov?

The federal criminal charge is wire fraud, which essentially means fraud that was committed across state lines. The claim is that the charged people defrauded the universities in question because the payments made the players ineligible and so the universities would not have given those scholarships were they aware of the payments. Additionally, they are claiming that the fraud deprived the universities of the control of their assets because granting the scholarships opened the schools up to potential sanctions from the NCAA. Finally, they tacked on money laundering charges since the participants violated those rules when moving the money in furtherance of the "fraud".

On the fraud charges, the defendants will have incentive to demonstrate that the universities were aware of and condoned this behavior and so there was no intent to defraud.

Fairly tortured way of turning this into a federal crime, but this case will get more attention than going after actual criminals and getting positive press coverage was the most important thing to the particular US attorney who started this investigation.

Reaction Score
Can't see how Petino stays given the past and the facts presented. Whether Jurich also takes a fall is the big question.

The interesting thing will be whether some 2017 recruits other than Bowen bail out before the season starts.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Wait for the defendants to prove the NCAA knew this has been going on for years, but did nothing. Fraud charge evaporates.

Except the coaches then certified to the NCAA that the players had amateur status, which was fraud.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Do you think the ACC will have the guts to kick Louisville out?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I wonder If Enoch received money to transfer to Vile? It was an odd transfer at the time.
And the way Vance Jackson was so all-in in a 10 toes way leading up to his commitment I have to think his daddy must have been shown a brown bag of loot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom