OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love this one: Jay Williams‏Verified account
@RealJayWilliams
Welcome to the BUSINESS of college basketball people...... been going on for a long long time.
7:27 AM - 26 Sep 2017

Ummmm, Jay Williams showed up with a paper bag full of $25,000 bills at a restaurant where Kevin Love was eating with his AAU coaches, the Pumps, and tried to hand it to Love's father in order to induce him to eventually sign with the agency he represented. Duke was also recruiting Love at the time.

Reaction Score
If the players were business executives and a head hunter steared them to a Fortune 500 company, the head hunter would be paid, and the executive would be paid. It's not against the law for a player to be paid, it's against an NCAA rule.
it has to do with receiving financial aid from the federal government when they shouldn't qualify because of the payments. They are defrauding the federal government

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If the FBI has a lot of actual proof, the NBA may need to have another draft in a few weeks with all of the high level players who are about to become ineligible for this NCAAs season.;)

Reaction Score
If the players were business executives and a head hunter steared them to a Fortune 500 company, the head hunter would be paid, and the executive would be paid. It's not against the law for a player to be paid, it's against an NCAA rule.
Except the coaches then certified to the NCAA that the players had amateur status, which was fraud.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Love this one: Jay Williams‏Verified account
@RealJayWilliams
Welcome to the BUSINESS of college basketball people. been going on for a long long time.
7:27 AM - 26 Sep 2017

Ummmm, Jay Williams showed up with a paper bag full of $25,000 bills at a restaurant where Kevin Love was eating with his AAU coaches, the Pumps, and tried to hand it to Love's father in order to induce him to eventually sign with the agency he represented. Duke was also recruiting Love at the time.

What a scummy tweet by him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The next paragraph documents calls from Gatto to Pitino's phone number just before the Bowen commit.

Oh good god. Slick Rick not so slick. finally going down.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
it has to do with receiving financial aid from the federal government when they shouldn't qualify because of the payments. They are defrauding the federal government

They're on athletic scholarships, how is that financial aid from the federal gov?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not as long as the NCAA is a member organization that allows for unbalanced influence from the biggest money-making institutions. It's not in the P5's best interest to allow a P5 member to get the death penalty (which I assume you are referring to), and it's not in the NCAA's best interest (or ability) to try. And the G5 and other institutions are afraid to say anything about the discrepancy in treatment. There are enough P5s in the FBI case that this will be handled with an "internal solution." Expect a statement such as "the sneaker companies and AAU teams must control their people and we, as institutions of higher learning, must take the high road and ensure that everyone understands and follows the rules. That is why the P5 has created a task force to tackle this important issue. We are glad that Louisville, Auburn, Arizona and the other named schools have taken steps to stop the practice by terminating those involved. The task force will report back with suggestions in the next 36-60 months."

Nothing will happen... but it's fun to watch.

If this is the case, than this situation will surely be the death of the NCAA.

Reaction Score
They're on athletic scholarships, how is that financial aid from the federal gov?

Pell grants. Before you receive the stipend money schools pay out, you have to apply for financial aid.

Schools instituted this so that the gov't would help pay for the stipends instead of the schools.

So, part of that cash that students get from the school above room & board and tuition remission can be a pell grant.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The biggest surprise to me is that they went with an addias connection. Under armour has seemed to be the most shady company if the big 3, at least on this board. I am surprised they aren't the ones in the news.

Adidas way bigger though. Firmly in 2nd place behind Nike atm

Reaction Score
I'm only on page 3 of this already epic and incredible thread, but holy farking crap!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom