OT: favorite burger toppings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: favorite burger toppings

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I didn't realize how many 12 year olds are on this board. I'll use Ketchup in a pinch (i.e. no BBQ option), but it is by no means a necessity.

Bacon, spicy BBQ sauce, cheese, sliced red onion, and Toasted (or grilled) bun.
In what universe is BBQ sauce considered a more refined burger condiment than ketchup?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thin, crispy fried onions, I believe they go by "onion straws" or something, taste like onion rings but look like spaghetti. Epic burger topper.
They call them tobacco fried onions at Prime 16.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In what universe is BBQ sauce considered a more refined burger condiment than ketchup?
The Universe.

In whatever recipe (e.g. Meatloaf) or food conventions (dipping sauce for freedom fries) that calls for ketchup, try barbecue sauce. It'll change your religious beliefs.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Just my 2¢, but count me in the no ketchup camp in this discussion. The less sauces soggy-ing up the bun and making a mess for your hands the better. Mustard or BBQ sauce and mayo is all you need, but you must have mayo, but that's a 'nother debate.

Reaction Score
Cheesy hash browns, fried onion strings, some kind of guacamole, and some kind of bbq sauce, preferrably brown sugar Sweet Baby Ray's

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't really consider cheese a topping. It's part of the cheeseburger, and I would never order a burger that's not a cheeseburger. In order of preference for the cheese: provolone, pepper jack, jack, American. Unless the American is that Kraft individually wrapped slices of plastic garbage. I'm down to my fourth cheese choice and you want to give me that? Yeah, cancel that burger then. I'll just have a hot dog.
All burgers should have bacon on them. That's kinda why pigs were invented. But occasionally, I want pastrami on my burger, either in addition to or instead of bacon.
As far as condiments, I like one of the following. Fried Onions. Raw Onions. Roasted Red Pepper.
Finally, if the burger is so dry that I have to lubricate it, I will use mayo and tomato.

Reaction Score
Jalapenos (fresh not that pickled garbage in a jar), and avocado/guac...all other answers are wrong

Egg on top (over easy) if we're getting crazy

Reaction Score
What happened to healthy vegan boy???
dog-nips-ankles.jpg

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Bacon, cheese, lettuce or bacon, cheese, egg.

Reaction Score
I'm a big proponent of a fried egg on Burgers. There's a new local place (Tavern 42 in Southington) that has a burger with a fried egg, bacon and hollandaise sauce on a sturdy yet melt in your mouth bun. It's one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten.

Reaction Score
Ketchup, dab of mustard on a poppy seed bun, no cheese - well done like a hockey puck

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Too many toppings all at once confuses the palate.

Cheddar-bacon-onion-ketchup, or
Jalapeños-pepper jack, or
A1-American-mushrooms-onions, or
Or maybe just Guldens-ketchup, no cheese

Just not all together.
Lettuce if you insist, but no tomato for me

Reaction Score
If you want a salad get one on the side. (But be normal and make fries).

Liberally salt and (less) pepper the raw burger both sides. 80/20 fresh chuck is more than fine, it's perfect. Very hot flat top, cast iron skillet or best real charcoal fire underneath. Cook to liking (aka medium rare or don't bother). Cheddar cheese, Heinz ketchup and optional onion raw or cooked. Nothing more. Ever. Get over yourselves ketchup haters.

Never mustard on a burger. Never ketchup on a dog. Both are fine condiments when used correctly. Otherwise move to France.

Mayo belongs on neither burger nor dog.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't really consider cheese a topping. It's part of the cheeseburger, and I would never order a burger that's not a cheeseburger. In order of preference for the cheese: provolone, pepper jack, jack, American. Unless the American is that Kraft individually wrapped slices of plastic garbage. I'm down to my fourth cheese choice and you want to give me that? Yeah, cancel that burger then. I'll just have a hot dog.
All burgers should have bacon on them. That's kinda why pigs were invented. But occasionally, I want pastrami on my burger, either in addition to or instead of bacon.
As far as condiments, I like one of the following. Fried Onions. Raw Onions. Roasted Red Pepper.
Finally, if the burger is so dry that I have to lubricate it, I will use mayo and tomato.

You know, I never ordered a "hamburger" in my life until I found out I was lactose intolerant. The first non-cheeseburger I had after that blew my mind; I'd never realized how little of the burger you actually taste when it's covered in cheese. The cheese obscures the beef more than any other topping, including ketchup.

I miss dairy in a million ways but having a good burger enveloped in and overpowered by American or cheddar cheese is not really one of them.

It sounds like you don't like burgers very much. But I guess when you're older then Methuselah, the taste buds are pretty much shot.

Few foods are better than a quality medium rare burger. I sure don't mind adding (a) bacon and grilled onion or (b) dill pickles and lettuce (both variations with ketchup; sorry AW), but I'll also enjoy a good burger with just some Heinz.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What if we call it "aioli?"

I used to be a ketchup/mustard guy, but now it's TJs mayo or go home. Been going the TJ's mayo route with fries as well.

Guess I'm saying that TJ's is much more aioli-ish than Hellmans.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Home grilled burger, with cheese on the inside. Grill the bun.

Just before eating add a chilled thick slice of beef steak tomato.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cheese....cheddar if possible. Ketchup. In places with a quality BBQ sauce it can replace the Ketchup. Nothing else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom