OT: favorite burger toppings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: favorite burger toppings

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My wife prepared Greek burgers over the weekend, which I grilled on the Weber (liquid propane). They were made them with seasoned 90% lean beef, wilted spinach, and feta cooked right into the burgers. Tzatziki topped the toasted sesame seed bun with a side of cucumber salad.

These are among the only hamburgers that BBQ could not improve upon.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I once made the mistake of stopping at "Wayback Burgers". I ordered a patty melt. A simple sandwich -- pretty much a burger and fried onions inside a grilled cheese -- most commonly on rye. I've had them in drive-ins, diners and burger joints all over the northeast, and consider it a safe bet to get something close to what I expect.

The mess that Wayback called a patty melt turned out to be a cheese burger with a little half fried onion, on a toasted, inside out burger roll. But the real atrocity was that it was slathered, drowned and buried in "wayback sauce", which appeared to be an unholy mix of russian and thousand island dressings. Even if you liked the crap, there was enough for 4 or 5 burgers on this one. It might have been edible without the sauce. With it, tt was far and away the worst "burger" I was ever served, and that includes those cooked by my wife, who seems to believe that the outside of a burger has to be hard and the inside gray.

Reaction Score
I went pescatarian in the fall to lose weight, so I've been doing veggie burgers, which can be made or broken on the toppings. Some really good ideas here. I tend to like grilled or fried onions with mushrooms, maybe bleu cheese if I have it. Cheese is great but I don't usually keep it in the house because I can't be trusted with cheese.

I'm definitely gonna try more of these jalapeno/monterey jack/avocado type situations.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I went pescatarian in the fall to lose weight, so I've been doing veggie burgers, which can be made or broken on the toppings. Some really good ideas here. I tend to like grilled or fried onions with mushrooms, maybe bleu cheese if I have it. Cheese is great but I don't usually keep it in the house because I can't be trusted with cheese.

I'm definitely gonna try more of these jalapeno/monterey jack/avocado type situations.
If you like Asian infusion, try a salmon burger. I'm not talking about the pre-formed frozen patty. They are really easy to make in your own kitchen, using an egg white as the binder. Even if you don't like Asian infusion, you can season it with a a combination of salt, pepper, lemon, basil, and what you have above (though I would stay away from blue cheese if only that it may overpower the burger).

Reaction Score
Im a classic bacon cheeseburger type of person (with ketchup ofcourse)

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Have you tried the Squash Burger at Beer Collective yet? I had the Spaghetti Squash Fritters there a few weeks ago at the bartender's recommendation and they were really good ("za’atar spiced squash pakora, cumin-lime yogurt sauce"). When I thanked her for the recommendation she told me that they make them in bigger form as a "burger" ("roasted tomato relish, caramelized onion jam, mixed greens, balsamic glaze served with fries"), which I intend to try when I bring my vegetarian daughter back there for it.

As for @Husky25 's recommendation of a salmon burger, the only guidance I can give you there is not to get the one at Prime 16. It sucks.

Reaction Score
Have you tried the Squash Burger at Beer Collective yet? I had the Spaghetti Squash Fritters there a few weeks ago at the bartender's recommendation and they were really good ("za’atar spiced squash pakora, cumin-lime yogurt sauce"). When I thanked her for the recommendation she told me that they make them in bigger form as a "burger" ("roasted tomato relish, caramelized onion jam, mixed greens, balsamic glaze served with fries"), which I intend to try when I bring my vegetarian daughter back there for it.

As for @Husky25 's recommendation of a salmon burger, the only guidance I can give you there is not to get the one at Prime 16. It sucks.

I haven't had it, thanks for the recommendation I'll check it out.

Reaction Score
Barbecue sauce and mayonnaise, also the best combo for a grilled chicken sandwich.

Reaction Score
The best burger I have ever had was in a small town in Colombia. Those who would like to see (a pic) simply need to ask. This thing is huge and even as a 187 cm (6 foot 1), between 80 to 82 kg (180-185 pounds) guy with larger than usual hands for someone of that height (in case I post the pic if someone asks), I struggled a lot to finish the thing, even as my first meal at 4pm after not eating at all that day. Just the burger, nothing else and did not need to eat until late afternoon the next day. It was simple with onions, bacon and mushrooms.

Any way, great toppings include but are not limited to caramelized onions, thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms, homemade BBQ sauce, your favorite cheese (in my case simply home made fresh mozzarella cheese), peppers (jalapeno if you like spicy), REAL bacon (not that garbage you might find at a random fast food restaurant and not overly crispy) . Nothing too creative, I like to keep it simple. The quality of the beef is so much more important. At this burger place in Colombia, even some of my wives Argentinan friends were very happy with the place.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I once made the mistake of stopping at "Wayback Burgers". I ordered a patty melt. A simple sandwich -- pretty much a burger and fried onions inside a grilled cheese -- most commonly on rye. I've had them in drive-ins, diners and burger joints all over the northeast, and consider it a safe bet to get something close to what I expect.

The mess that Wayback called a patty melt turned out to be a cheese burger with a little half fried onion, on a toasted, inside out burger roll. But the real atrocity was that it was slathered, drowned and buried in "wayback sauce", which appeared to be an unholy mix of russian and thousand island dressings. Even if you liked the crap, there was enough for 4 or 5 burgers on this one. It might have been edible without the sauce. With it, tt was far and away the worst "burger" I was ever served, and that includes those cooked by my wife, who seems to believe that the outside of a burger has to be hard and the inside gray.

Wayback sucks so hard

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I concur. It was the closest place to my kids daycare when I picked him up last night and he said he wanted a cheeseburger for dinner. Utterly forgettable.

It tries to compete in the 5 guys/smashburger/ shake shack space and is at least as expensive if not more so than all of them and just is so horrible. McDonald's is better

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It tries to compete in the 5 guys/smashburger/ shake shack space and is at least as expensive if not more so than all of them and just is so horrible. McDonald's is better

The scary part is that somewhere, somehow, it's some moron's favorite burger place.
I believe that moron went to Kentucky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom