OT: favorite burger toppings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: favorite burger toppings

Reaction Score
Cooked spinach works amazingly well on a burger. Think spinach bread from a good pizza place or import store. I also add cheese to that. You can add bacon as well. Finally, cooking the spinach in garlic and olive oil (add truffle oil for a fancy twist) works best. Make sure the spinach is well drained after cooking for less mess. There is no need for any additional liquid condiments.

Reaction Score
Pickled jalepenos underneath pepper jack cheese with bacon on top.

Not a condiment but an underrated ingredient is butter. I often keep my burgers simple and melted butter on a potato bun is sometimes all I need.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In what universe is BBQ sauce considered a more refined burger condiment than ketchup?

Seriously? Ketchup is a very simple condiment. BBQ sauce is a multifaceted complex work of art, in many varying flavor and ingredient combinations.

The Universe.

In whatever recipe (e.g. Meatloaf) or food conventions (dipping sauce for freedom fries) that calls for ketchup, try barbecue sauce. It'll change your religious beliefs.

Agreed. BBQ sauce, when one considers the many styles and variations available is the one condiment to rule them all. All others are unnecessary. It can be sweet, spicy, smokey, vinegar based, mustard based, there are infinite variations.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ketchup is the truth. The light. The way. And there is only one; all others are false idols:
020.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And there is only one...

That's not true. It says so right there on the bottle, "57 Varieties." ;)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ketchup is the truth. The light. The way. And there is only one; all others are false idols:
View attachment 22200

My daughter would agree. She puts it on almost everything. Pork chops? Ketchup. Pork Loin? Ketchup. Roast chicken, roasted turkey, chicken tenders, burgers, hot dogs...any potato that isn't mashed or baked.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My daughter would agree. She puts it on almost everything. Pork chops? Ketchup. Pork Loin? Ketchup. Roast chicken, roasted turkey, chicken tenders, burgers, hot dogs...any potato that isn't mashed or baked.

Daughter, as in child.

Because thats who ketchup is for. Children.

Does Arbys put ketchup on their pork belly?

Hell no.

Arbys puts ketchup on nothing. And then give you 5 other condiment choices to dissuade you from even using it on your fries.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
People that have hissy fits over ketchup are babies. The meltiest of snowflakes. Not gonna name names tho. That would be rude. ;)

Count me in. I'm totally over ketchup these days. So many better things to add to burgers or dip with. Ketchup is just a one-note condiment. It's like adding Meg White to a great band.

It's like someone who still drinks Schlitz or uses Folgers instant because that's what dear old dad did and he was a man's man. You're shortchanging yourself, IMO. Challenge your palate.

Reaction Score
A California staple: bacon, guac, pepper jack.

A simple bacon cheeseburger (American or cheddar) is nice too.

Nothing sloppy with mayo dripping all over the place.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Kid down the street from me growing up put it on EVERYTHING, including mashed potatoes and liverwurst sandwiches.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Count me in. I'm totally over ketchup these days. So many better things to add to burgers or dip with. Ketchup is just a one-note condiment. It's like adding Meg White to a great band.

It's like someone who still drinks Schlitz or uses Folgers instant because that's what dear old dad did and he was a man's man. You're shortchanging yourself, IMO. Challenge your palate.
My bad - I'm Team Ketchup, and I think Ketchup Shaming is baby behavior.

Ketchup may not be flashy but it brings sweetness, acidity, and savory flavors to the party. It's versatile.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Sauteed onions and mushrooms. Same with my steak. Of course cheese, lettuce tomato . I tried to copy and paste a menu from my almost everyday watering hole. It's called Moose's LZ, Jonestown, PA. He has great burgers. If anyone has time on their hands check out the menu for burgers and sandwiches. Check out his toppings. We debated one time about his burgers. He gets many compliments on them. He said it is because of the meat. (Angus I'm sure).I told him maybe so, but to me, it is the toppings. Sorry for not being able to paste it in here.If anybody traveling this year and take Interstate 81 South, take the Lebanon exit. Take a right off the exit and maybe 2 minutes down on the right (only two lights). Great food and beer. The servers are great.

PS-For some reason I am using less ketchup these days. One time it was Ketchup and Mayo. Just a dab each.

Reaction Score
My bad - I'm Team Ketchup, and I think Ketchup Shaming is baby behavior.

Ketchup may not be flashy but it brings sweetness, acidity, and savory flavors to the party. It's versatile.

I agree. Food shaming in any form is unacceptable—each of us has a unique palate borne of both genetics and life’s culinary experiences—well, except for those who add either cream or tomatoes to spoil nature’s perfection known as Clear-Broth Clam Chowder. I suspect those heathens frittered away their taste buds at the drive-through at Arby’s.

As far as condiments go, however, ketchup is a little too sweet for my personal tastes, but it makes a fantastic base for simple “homemade” condiments.

I prefer my burgers prepared with: Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions – on a sesame seed bun.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
You know, I never ordered a "hamburger" in my life until I found out I was lactose intolerant. The first non-cheeseburger I had after that blew my mind; I'd never realized how little of the burger you actually taste when it's covered in cheese. The cheese obscures the beef more than any other topping, including ketchup.

I miss dairy in a million ways but having a good burger enveloped in and overpowered by American or cheddar cheese is not really one of them.

It sounds like you don't like burgers very much. But I guess when you're older then Methuselah, the taste buds are pretty much shot.

Few foods are better than a quality medium rare burger. I sure don't mind adding (a) bacon and grilled onion or (b) dill pickles and lettuce (both variations with ketchup; sorry AW), but I'll also enjoy a good burger with just some Heinz.

I love burgers. But there are very few foods from the savory side of the menu that are not better with cheese on them. And a burger is not one of them.
The same applies to bacon.
And onions.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes, a big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer, GOOD God Almighty, which way do I steer???

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes, a big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer, GOOD God Almighty, which way do I steer???

Paradise, brah .

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Daughter, as in child.

Because thats who ketchup is for. Children.

Does Arbys put ketchup on their pork belly?

Hell no.

Arbys puts ketchup on nothing. And then give you 5 other condiment choices to dissuade you from even using it on your fries.

Yes, she's a child for a little while longer, but is off to HS next year. Ketchup is perfectly fine if used in moderation. I don't usually use it on fries. Prefer malt vinegar if available.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The problem I have with BBQ sauce as a purported ketchup substitute is that, no matter whether it's sweet, spicy, etc., it's always smokey--that's the whole point--and I am not always in the mood for a smokey taste. Definitely not on fries, and definitely not on hot dogs. Maybe on certain meatloaf, but not my wife's. I could see it being a better pairing than ketchup for certain burgers where there is a smoked/BBQ theme, but otherwise the only time I would consider it as a condiment would be for a pulled pork sandwich, which I definitely enjoy with BBQ sauce.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The problem I have with BBQ sauce as a purported ketchup substitute is that, no matter whether it's sweet, spicy, etc., it's always smokey--that's the whole point--and I am not always in the mood for a smokey taste. Definitely not on fries, and definitely not on hot dogs. Maybe on certain meatloaf, but not my wife's. I could see it being a better pairing than ketchup for certain burgers where there is a smoked/BBQ theme, but otherwise the only time I would consider it as a condiment would be for a pulled pork sandwich, which I definitely enjoy with BBQ sauce.

It is certainly not always smokey. Not at all. You need to diversify your BBQ sauce experience.

Reaction Score
New Mexican Green Chille. Not the canned crap you get in the stores around here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom