OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Reaction Score
Jones course at Lyman is nice as well. The Gary Player course there sucks though.

Reaction Score
Goodwin Park in Hartford is a great course if your watching your budget and need a fairly quick round!

Reaction Score
Slowest round of golf in the state of CT is Rockledge in West Hartford. Good course, but make sure you have 6 hours to spare......

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I had a friend's wife die and I held a fundraiser for their kids at Keney because I could get the course for $25 a head... Brought in some guys we work with who are members at big clubs in Jersey and Westchester - their interaction with the Keney staff was highly enjoyable.

Keney is in terrible shape but a great layout - setup by same person who did Bethpage.

Bethpage (Black at least) is Tillinghast, whereas i believe Devereaux Emmet designed Keney. But Keney's definitely a great, classic design.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Indian Hill greens are as good as you will find in Connecticut.

If you are looking for a place to join and aren't a huge hitter Indian Hill is a nice course. Even on weekends if you are willing to play in the afternoon it's empty.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Goodwin Park in Hartford is a great course if your watching your budget and need a fairly quick round!

Goodwin in the summer is the slowest track on human record. Only Stanley can compare to the lack of pace.

Reaction Score
Goodwin in the summer is the slowest track on human record. Only Stanley can compare to the lack of pace.

Never had a slow round there but its been over a year since I've last played. And there is no course in the state slower than Rockledge on any day of the week.

Reaction Score
Simsbury Farms is a nice little, well maintained track. It gets less play because they didn't have a beer license for a long time and now they do. The layout is forgiving but the greens all roll tough.

I wouldn't let my goat graze at Keney or Goodie.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bethpage (Black at least) is Tillinghast, whereas i believe Devereaux Emmet designed Keney. But Keney's definitely a great, classic design.

Yeah, when you get older your memory fades. Next time I'm at Keney I need to reread the sign I'm misremembering. I swear the sign claims he designed a course at Bethpage.

It's a funny resume Emmet has. 2 courses at Congressional and Long Hill? I don't know what Long Hill used to look like but it's awful now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Never had a slow round there but its been over a year since I've last played. And there is no course in the state slower than Rockledge on any day of the week.

Agreed Rockledge is probably the most
consistently slow course in Hartford County, I don't even consider it because it's so slow.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Keney got much better to play once they started dragging the bodies off the greens.

It makes putting easier and tossing the corpses in the sand traps really makes course management a challenge.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
HUGE fan of Foxhopyard! One of the few courses that has a driving range that is grass aside from private CC's. I hate warming up on mats... Anyway, you can't beat a post round martini on the outside porch of the clubhouse overlooking 18 in an adirondack chair. My only complaint is that the greens have slipped a bit over the years. Front 9 has a lot of hills and rocks so take a cart, don't b a hero.

Fox Hopyard is a nice course but it's a long haul for anyone that doesn't live Middlesex Cty. They are clearly looking for people to come play based on the deals you can get the last few years. I live in a town that borders East Haddam and it's still a half hour from my house.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Keney got much better to play once they started dragging the bodies off the greens.

It makes putting easier and tossing the corpses in the sand traps really makes course management a challenge.

It's part of the charm. Chase your ball in the woods and you may end up in a deposition for a murder trial.

How often do you get to aim directly at a reachable cemetery like you get to on the 12th at Keney? I've been asked to get buried on the 13th someday - it shouldn't be OB.

Reaction Score
You will enjoy Wintonbury Hills......plenty of space to drive the ball so it's nice in that regard but as kev mentioned you need to put the ball in position to score. You won't know where that is yet because you haven't played it but I will tell you this - do not short side yourself because getting up and down is not happening there when you do - especially if the rough is higher.

Quarry Ridge in Portland is quirky but in beautiful shape, Fox Hopyard is a nice track, CT National in Putnam is okay, Topstone while a bit boring on the front has ome great back 9 character.........

Reaction Score
Gillette is in rough shape.

I joined Manchester this year. Great group of guys who play there and the two young guys who run the shop do a great job.

Is it hard getting an early morning time on the weekends? Was thinking of joining but I know they've already got a pretty good size membership.

Reaction Score
It is a lottery system so you never have the same time every week. I have yet to have a slow round out there. Every round to date this year has been four hours or under and I walk.

You can't beat the deal if you are under 35. It was $1100 with unlimited golf, range, and preferred tee times.

Reaction Score
I had a friend's wife die and I held a fundraiser for their kids at Keney because I could get the course for $25 a head... Brought in some guys we work with who are members at big clubs in Jersey and Westchester - their interaction with the Keney staff was highly enjoyable.

Keney is in terrible shape but a great layout - setup by same person who did Bethpage.
Yep, and the greens were on the small side too if remember. Too bad about its condition, can be a hidden gem. Our group used to stop and watch some of the cricket matches on the way out.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I like Connecticut Golf Land, in Vernon.

Pretty sure it's a public course and they have bumper boats, too.

I hear that's the only course you play under 125.

Reaction Score

Keney is a Tillinghast course? No kidding, i didnt know that - I've played it twice, shame that its in such poor shape.

EDIT: nvm, saw its a D Emmett course. Another legend of golf course architecture.

Reaction Score
Has anyone played Pequabuck in Bristol? I've driven by it a few times, looks decent and usually empty.

If you're willing to make a drive, Fairview Farms in Harwinton is an outstanding course, and generally moves pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
On the topic of golf. After going to Golfers Warehouse for many years and having hit or miss luck with their sales guys I decided to check out Chris Cote's in Portland and was blown away by those guys. Has anyone else been to their shops? The owner was telling me Kevin Ollie was in the other day.

Reaction Score
That's where I learned to play. At night of course. After dropping a bunch of quarters in the game room.
Me too as well. There was a golf shop a little down that road. One time, I just went out and bought a couple wedges and went to Golf Land and hit a few balls. I must have hit a few cars as well.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I don't know how hard it is to get on but the Yale course is a wonderfully quirky, olde-tyme layout....last I looked it was top 70 or so in the country.
#9 green is fascinating.....bunker to the left of #8 green is just a bit of a challenge.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Has anyone played Pequabuck in Bristol? I've driven by it a few times, looks decent and usually empty.

Pequabuck is my favorite course to play in the area. They actually had an incredible all-season Groupon last month- 2 people, 18 and a cart, weekday just $60 total. Might still be up, definitely worth the savings. It's a nice course and runs about $50 regularly. The entire course isn't as spectacular looking as its implied when you drive by it via Route 6 (right over the water), but its still nice.

16 there is my favorite hole of any course I've played- 180 yard Par 3 with a 100 foot drop from tee to green. You can't help but aim at the pin, and will keep hitting until you land one within five feet. So much fun.

Pequabuck and Pine Valley are usually pretty empty. I play PV more regularly just because its a few minutes shorter and Im on their email chain where they send out monthly coupons. PV is usually desolate, but well-maintained and is a nice day out for $40. They overcharge on the weekend because they think its more private than it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom