OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 19 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Playing at Blackstone in MA tomorrow for the first time.

Played last week at the former Pine Valley in Southington, now North Ridge and next year down to 9 holes. That's a shame, always a fun track. I give the management credit, given that half the course will be gone next year. The place is in great shape. The fairways, the greens, even the revamped upper floor restaurant and patio are in first class condition. By the way, the young woman who serves the food upstairs is also in great shape, but hasn't a clue on how to be a food server. The burgers were top-notch, at least a half pound and well-prepared. Beer standard. I hope to play there at least once more this year. I probably won't play there once it's cut to 9. I think it's the back 9 they are keeping, with a lot of houses already up and occupied along parts of the front nine. I rarely play just 9, and there are closer 9 holers to me if I want.

BTW, I don't know what shape the economy is in for real, but the several new houses along the course are pretty big and seem not to have been built on spec because the finished ones are clearly occupied. Some folks have money to spend or the ones that do have all congregated in Southington.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Mau mentioned RI. I've been meeting a Boston area friend halfway there and played several courses. Beaver River has become a favorite. Not long, but demanding and interesting. We've also played Meadowbrook (5 minutes closer than Beaver River on the same road off 1-95 Exit 3). Weird first hole set up - drive out to the tee and play back to the club house. I've heard that's meant to be temporary. Also Fenner Hill near Exit 2, an interesting course. Played Crystal Lake once, but don't remember it well. A bit of a longer drive for me from home.

Reaction Score
Mau mentioned RI. I've been meeting a Boston area friend halfway there and played several courses. Beaver River has become a favorite. Not long, but demanding and interesting. We've also played Meadowbrook (5 minutes closer than Beaver River on the same road off 1-95 Exit 3). Weird first hole set up - drive out to the tee and play back to the club house. I've heard that's meant to be temporary. Also Fenner Hill near Exit 2, an interesting course. Played Crystal Lake once, but don't remember it well. A bit of a longer drive for me from home.

Yeah, I haven't played Beaver River in ages, but I remember it being challenging. Meadowbrook is like 5 minutes from my parents' house, and I've played it twice, but not in this recent stint. They still haven't built the proper clubhouse. When I was in high school, that course was basically farm land where you could pay like $15 to play on crappy conditions all day. My dad would drop me off on summer mornings and I'd play til he came back to get me.

Reaction Score
It is in real good shape huh? Played it a couple weeks ago and it's potentially in its best shape ever. Just don't short side yourself with that rough LOL and the firmness of the greens.
Yeah, to me it was... but I play a lot of public courses. I thought the fairways were excellent, and the greens were good, but they didn't seem to accept many shots. I had a few land near the pins and just roll 50' away. Traps "looked" good, but were hard underneath. It was really nicer than I expected. Last time was mainly just fairways, tees, and greens, and lots of dirt in between with no clubhouse. It is a terrific muni course. Before we teed off, they said fairways only for the carts, and we said how do we get to our shots? Turns out it was easy enough to stay in the fairways.

Reaction Score
Blackstone is a great track in that area of MA.. Starts out with a fun little dog leg left which you can get real close to and the holes are never one in the same. Always in good shape and challenging yet fair. Have fun you will enjoy it.

RI - I play Beaver River, Richmond, Winnapaug a lot as they accept a 36 hole day easier than most CT courses. The one I have grown to like the most is Fenner. It's not the best of the bunch but I have grown to like it's quirks and the variance in landscape. Always fun there and usually pace is very good.

Reaction Score
Just a heads up, you might want to steer way from Timberlin for the next month. They started work on the bunkers and will have temporary greens and tees on certain holes while work is being completed. They are offering discount rates.

Reaction Score
I think I might make my own golf topic so I'm not crowding this with non-CT golf stuff.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wampanog CC in West Hartford? Wamp is my favorite course in the area and I caddied there as a kid. Lightning fast greens and a very sporty Donald Ross design. Love Donald Ross designs because they are difficult in a very subtle way.
That'd be the one

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Played at the North Ridge (formerly Pine Valley) in Southington yesterday. I player there several times a year because it's about halfway between where I live near New Haven and where my best golfing friend lives near Hartford. The course, we had heard, was going to 9 holes after this year because some of the land has been sold for housing - many of which have been built already along some of the existing fairways. First, given that this is the last year for the course as it's been, the greenskeeper and staff should get a major shout out. When they might easily have let the place run down, it's in fabulous condition. But we learned, that in fact North Ridge maybe 2-3 years out will be back to 18 holes because they have acquired land across the road. They'll be incorporating some of the present course, doing renovations to some holes and then have that whole new set of holes across the road. North Ridge is a pretty interesting course and the architects of the redesign will be the Robert Trent Jones group which I think bodes well. The prices are sure to go up.

I know I'm getting older, but my golf this year has been explicable. Every round is the same, although the sequence varies. I will go through long stretches where it looks like I just took up the game, top shots, duck hooks etc. and then a long stretch where it looks like I could be on tour. I don't feel as though I'm swinging differently, but boy the drastic bad is so different from the really good and little in between. I don't get it and neither do my playing partners.

Reaction Score
Played at the North Ridge (formerly Pine Valley) in Southington yesterday. I player there several times a year because it's about halfway between where I live near New Haven and where my best golfing friend lives near Hartford. The course, we had heard, was going to 9 holes after this year because some of the land has been sold for housing - many of which have been built already along some of the existing fairways. First, given that this is the last year for the course as it's been, the greenskeeper and staff should get a major shout out. When they might easily have let the place run down, it's in fabulous condition. But we learned, that in fact North Ridge maybe 2-3 years out will be back to 18 holes because they have acquired land across the road. They'll be incorporating some of the present course, doing renovations to some holes and then have that whole new set of holes across the road. North Ridge is a pretty interesting course and the architects of the redesign will be the Robert Trent Jones group which I think bodes well. The prices are sure to go up.

I know I'm getting older, but my golf this year has been explicable. Every round is the same, although the sequence varies. I will go through long stretches where it looks like I just took up the game, top shots, duck hooks etc. and then a long stretch where it looks like I could be on tour. I don't feel as though I'm swinging differently, but boy the drastic bad is so different from the really good and little in between. I don't get it and neither do my playing partners.
Need more beer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is my golf lesson to everyone. And if this doesn't work try "Fireballs" or your favorite Vodka drinks.

Sailor Jerry spiced rum and Ocean Spray Ruby Red. You are welcome.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Might have to try that with Captain Chin

You can try it with Captain buybfor some reason Sailor Jerry tastes better to me. Could be 92 proof for Jerry and 70 proof for Captain.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can try it with Captain buybfor some reason Sailor Jerry tastes better to me. Could be 92 proof for Jerry and 70 proof for Captain.

Captain 100 - .99 cent nips FTW.

Although I do like Jerry. It's what they have at the Max Restaurants in lieu of Cptn.

Reaction Score
Captain 100 - .99 cent nips FTW.

Although I do like Jerry. It's what they have at the Max Restaurants in lieu of Cptn.

Just do not get suckered into buying the Costco Kirkland bottle of "spiced rum" which is a pretty bottle. But it's not very good, closer to awful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom