OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Reaction Score
Not crowded makes a difference. I took my youngest out for 9 at Grassy Hill (his first real round) yesterday at 1pm and hardly saw another golfer.

Downside is the bar was closed when we finished because they were dead. Had to take him to the owl preservation society for lunch.

A golf course bar closed on a Saturday that early? Wow things are tough at that course huh?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Great par 3 at 220-240 downhill but you can have that course - I will work a full day rather than play that dog track.

Now you mention "isn't crowded" and that's a good thing these days. Has anyone else noticed pace of play becoming really bad mostly everywhere? I am sick and tired of people who lolly gag around, stand over the ball for 30 seconds plus, teaching other people who to play etc etc etc...just seems to be on the uprise. Hate slow play (I drink too much when it's slow too lol) and rangers need to do their jobs.

The entire game hinges on pace of play. I almost never play on Saturdays because of it. Huge mistake: group of idiots walking were so slow there were 4 groups stacked up behind them by the par3 down the hill.

Does anyone even have rangers anymore?

Carrying a bag shouldn't even be an option on a weekend.

Reaction Score
A golf course bar closed on a Saturday that early? Wow things are tough at that course huh?

Not a big crowd of drinkers there. And the bar staff works upstairs at events at night so unless it is busy down there that is par for the course (pun intended). After the lunch rush when the regulars finish it usually dies off.

Reaction Score
Played your whole list, except for Richter Park (been saying I should try that for 35 years). Can't believe you left off Lyman-Jones course. Back in the day it was special. Playing it tomorrow so I'll give an update... been years since I've played it.
Well, we finished Lyman in a reasonable time... ~4.5 hrs. Downside... course is a little worse for wear than I remembered. Some of the greens took a big hit this winter. And some demented greeenskeeper stuck 1 flag on the side of the biggest knob on the green (#8, back right). It was like trying to get the ball up the ramp and into the clown's nose. All 4 of us just wrote down 2 puts after trying 3-4.

Reaction Score
Well, we finished Lyman in a reasonable time... ~4.5 hrs. Downside... course is a little worse for wear than I remembered. Some of the greens took a big hit this winter. And some demented greeenskeeper stuck 1 flag on the side of the biggest knob on the green (#8, back right). It was like trying to get the ball up the ramp and into the clown's nose. All 4 of us just wrote down 2 puts after trying 3-4.

heard the rough is whacked there?

Reaction Score
4.5 hours being considered reasonable.. going to kill the sport.

This is why we play between 5:30-7am so we can get done in 3 - 3.5 hours. I hate to say it but for an afternoon round during the week or a weekend round after 9am 4.5 hours is luxury now. People are taking themselves too seriously out there.

Reaction Score
Love Shuttle Meadow...my father is a member there so have played many times. Willie Park Jr design, same guy who did Olympia Fields out here in the Chicago area. Great course, they have a new Super within the last few years who has done a great job. Firm and fast but very fair, greens are outstanding. It's rarely crowded...my dad and I walked 18 as a twosome in under three hours last year.

Shuttle Meadow is a gem. State ladies amateur was there last week.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I love playing there... it eats my lunch these days and is great for my handicap. One of the toughest stretches of holes, 4-8, anywhere. Plus they usually have good deals and it isn't that crowded.
And they load your Beer into the cart...

Reaction Score
heard the rough is whacked there?
Most penal rough I've played in a long time. Very sticky and thick stuff. Only about 4" deep, but if you aren't used to playing from it you'll miss a lot of touch shots. Too bad the greens are not top-notch. Used to be in the men's club there in early '80s. Even then it wasn't like it was 10 years earlier, where they had cups at the back of the tee boxes to practice putting, or so I've heard, don't remember playing it before 1979, but I think I did because of the power lines. Fairly distinctive feature.

Reaction Score
4.5 hours being considered reasonable.. going to kill the sport.
I expected worse on a Sunday with a late morning tee time. Looked like it was crowded when we arrived, but maybe the other course (Player course) was worse.

Reaction Score
Most penal rough I've played in a long time. Very sticky and thick stuff. Only about 4" deep, but if you aren't used to playing from it you'll miss a lot of touch shots. Too bad the greens are not top-notch. Used to be in the men's club there in early '80s. Even then it wasn't like it was 10 years earlier, where they had cups at the back of the tee boxes to practice putting, or so I've heard, don't remember playing it before 1979, but I think I did because of the power lines. Fairly distinctive feature.

I played there in the early to mid 80's every Saturday with a crew at 5:30 am pretty much. Greg Belanger the southern assistant to Dick was a great dude. I ended up tending the bar downstairs for the guys around 83-84 on weekends working for Tony who ran the concessions/food for a couple years. Did you play with Papo Diaz at all - I played there with him once or twice in tourney's. Played baseball with him in the Meriden Twilight league when I was younger, sold player in both baseball and golf. And the big dude who won the club championship every year around then, I just ran into him at a 2 ball at Tekoa earlier in the year.

Reaction Score
I played there in the early to mid 80's every Saturday with a crew at 5:30 am pretty much. Greg Belanger the southern assistant to Dick was a great dude. I ended up tending the bar downstairs for the guys around 83-84 on weekends working for Tony who ran the concessions/food for a couple years. Did you play with Papo Diaz at all - I played there with him once or twice in tourney's. Played baseball with him in the Meriden Twilight league when I was younger, sold player in both baseball and golf. And the big dude who won the club championship every year around then, I just ran into him at a 2 ball at Tekoa earlier in the year.
I was there 80-82. Too long of a commute from Torrington. Big Doug. Good guy, class act. Nice to hear he's still going.

Reaction Score
I was there 80-82. Too long of a commute from Torrington. Big Doug. Good guy, class act. Nice to hear he's still going.

Used to get a lot of Torrington guys up at Edgewood in Southwick (Big Joe the ex-Torrington hoops coach and his crew) - they took the back way in. Middlefield is way too far.

Reaction Score
http://www.costabajagolf.com/

OT - but I'm in La Paz this week and played this for the 2nd time today. For $75 (after 12pm) and my 12 year old was free. Some of the best views I've ever seen, and some crazy elevation changes. In many ways a fairly standard resort course, but with the terrain it is truly special. Both on Father's day and today, I didn't see another golfer on the course. Dead down here this time of year - too hot for sane people.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Goodwin:

The new management has really improved the shape the course is in. It's 1000x better than it was.

The downside:
The pace of play is laughable - the two groups in front of us featured people who may have never set foot on a golf course in their life. I saw a woman who shot over 200 on the front nine and took a half hour to play the first hole. That was a weekday afternoon and the prior Saturday was just as bad with people carrying bags who have no right being on a course.

The starter attempted to pick a fight with my group twice - and when it was pointed out it took us 2:45 to play the front nine they did nothing.

$50 is a bit questionable in the first place - the staff got it crossed off our list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe I am completelyoff base, but was Lyman Orchards golf course Called Lyman Meadows in the 70s. I am 55 years old and am convinced when I played it in high school it was Lyman Meadows.
I have only one person I spoke to that sort of remembered, all other people think I am crazy

Reaction Score
Maybe I am completelyoff base, but was Lyman Orchards golf course Called Lyman Meadows in the 70s. I am 55 years old and am convinced when I played it in high school it was Lyman Meadows.
I have only one person I spoke to that sort of remembered, all other people think I am crazy

You are not crazy. Lyman Orchards was definitely known as Lyman Meadow in those days.

Reaction Score
J187Money said:
http://www.costabajagolf.com/ OT - but I'm in La Paz this week and played this for the 2nd time today. For $75 (after 12pm) and my 12 year old was free. Some of the best views I've ever seen, and some crazy elevation changes. In many ways a fairly standard resort course, but with the terrain it is truly special. Both on Father's day and today, I didn't see another golfer on the course. Dead down here this time of year - too hot for sane people.

Just finished my 4th round of the week. Number of other golfers cited this week on the course? 0

I showed up at 3:10 today and they already closed but I went around to the back and the guy that had been helping me all week let me play for free.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just finished my 4th round of the week. Number of other golfers cited this week on the course? 0

I showed up at 3:10 today and they already closed but I went around to the back and the guy that had been helping me all week let me play for free.

I'd pay an extra $100 a round to remove everyone in front of me.

Reaction Score
I'd pay an extra $100 a round to remove everyone in front of me.

I know it is hot here (mid 90s), but it is crazy to me that nobody golfs in the heat. I play much better. It is the same in Cabo. The courses are completely empty June - August.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know it is hot here (mid 90s), but it is crazy to me that nobody golfs in the heat. I play much better. It is the same in Cabo. The courses are completely empty June - August.

I played in 65 degrees and drizzle today. Spoiler alert - it was 2:15 to play a 3,000 yard 9.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom